• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which is most efficient X99 board?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ohenryy

Registered
It's probably not one of the first things to consider when buying a highend X99 board, but I'm still curious which one out there is the most efficient and can save me money for the long run. Can anyone help?

Almost all boards are the same. There are little differences even between these cheapest and most expensive. Most expensive X99 boards have "only" more SATA/SAS ports and additional PLX chips that give you more PCIe lanes. Still most of these things are waste of money for 95% users as barely anyone will use more than 6 HDD/SSD or more than 2 graphics cards.
All boards except ASUS are overclocking almost the same. ASUS has its magical socket which is helping in higher cache clock but it counts almost only while benchmarking.
More stuff onboard = higher wattage, more phases also usually means higher wattage. Probably getting cheapest X99 board will save you more in long term usage than current draw differences between these boards. Something like ASRock X99 Extreme 4 or MSI X99S SLI Plus will be best choice if you don't need anything above the standard but still wish to overclock CPU high.

Yeah, I'm not planning to go crazy...5820K, DDR4 and 5 or 6 HDDs at most...I think I'll look at the Extreme 4 and MSI X99S and even the Gigabyte UD4.

Did the price go down? X99 OC at 280 bucks is tempting...this makes it even harder to decide...

Did the price go down? X99 OC at 280 bucks is tempting...this makes it even harder to decide...

There's also a $50 mail in rebate special right now, that brings it down even further.

Back