• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Disable accidental input filtering on Synaptics trackpads.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

steve500

I just got myself an Acer Travelmate P645-MG laptop, I have issues with the trackpad.

I am running clean Win7 64bit with all of Acer's factory drivers (latest)

When I am trying to move the curser just a tiny bit, small precision movements, the trackpad seems to ignore my small-stroke inputs, it registers those movements for a split second but bounces the curser back as if it is picking up my small movements of the cursor as accidental inputs.

This makes selecting text, moving files in explorer, and editing in photoshop extremely frustrating when you're out and about without a mouse.

With research, I've come to find that there are zillions of adjustable variables and unlockable settings in Synaptics registry. Doing this, I was able to make-visible the options for horizontal two-finger scrolling and zero-out all of the palm-detection values so that I could use the keyboard and trackpad at the same time, before those adjustments, it was impossible to hold modifer keys in photoshop and move the curser at the same time. My issue with making small strokes to move the curser a few pixels at a time still exists, it is ignoring those inputs.

If I uninstall the trackpad software/drivers entirely, the trackpad does NOT ignore any inputs and accept even the tiniest of inputs with precision, although I lose all of the gesture inputs and functions that are supposed to make the trackpad miltifunctional, productive, and a joy to use. What registry values need to be modified to allow small-strokes instead of them be ignored?

I have already flipped through all of the available synaptics control panel settings over and over again... I have tried cranking sensitivity, turning off all of the filtering options, etc....

Thanks for reading!

Oof. I didn't want to leave your post hanging, but man, I've got no clue. Um.... here, have some encouragement! Go! Go! Go, Steve, Go! :D

The worst part about it is, I don't even know where I'd start to look. If I was in your shoes...... I'd probably leave the drivers disabled, and just gripe about it all the time, lol.

Have you checked the bios, out of the tiny chance it's changeable there?

Ha! Thank you for the ecouragement. Definitely appreciated.

I tinkered with a LOT of variables in the registry to try to get it to behave like a trackpad SHOULD and I am pretty close to a solidly functioning trackpad.

I'm probably only b****ing because I come from running an eight year old macbook pro as my daily windows/mac/linux driver and I am so stuck on that trackpad WORKING so well, nearly flawlessly, I even game FPSs on that trackpad (HL2, CS, etc). It's one in a million PC laptops that have a trackpad that works as "imagined" by the designer of the laptop, lol. I am just not going to stand for a $1300 laptop with the same manufacture of trackpad a macbook has to have such a horribly functioning trackpad, but it's a PC and that's "just the way it is" as far as I research and research, I'm a bit mind-boggled that there isn't much support for 3rd party synaptics configuration GUI programs.

I am come to find out that Ubuntu Linux bare install has synaptics trackpads fully figured out, very mac-like, super smooth inputs, no obnoxious un-calibrated filtering schemes, it just flat-out works. Running windows through virtualbox in Ubuntu is the ultimate way to run the trackpad, lmfao.

I will share my windows synaptics registry entry adjustments when I feel I have it fully figured out to the best of my exeriments.

Back