• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bent pins

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hippogriff

Long time I don't have to deal with a CPU with pins. Can I fix this (I read you suggest credit card) or should I RMA the CPU

IMG_20141125_211055.jpg

IMG_20141125_210956.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, Hippogriff. You can fix them. A credit card will fit very well among them. Use it as a support and push them against it. And those that are bent inwards - move the card between the first and the second row of pins and straighten the bent ones one by one with it against your finger.
... I hope you get me... :D

They can be fixed but I'd return it if possible. Which processor is that the new Fx you were getting?

Were the pins bent that way when it was received from shipment or from the retailer? Or did they get bent by the system builders?

Were the pins bent that way when it was received from shipment or from the retailer? Or did they get bent by the system builders?

When I opened the package, the pins were bent. I don't even have a motherboard for it, so it was not my fault...

Oh... I assumed you weeded it out with the stock cooler. It happened to me once. My bad :)
Good luck then

Good luck with the RMA but for the sake of conversation, those are no problem to fix since they aren't bent that badly at all.
My 8320 when new arrived with one bent to the point it was touching the CPU's circuit board (Literally bent over). I took my time with it, got it back straight and the CPU works just fine. I too had thought about doing an RMA but the trouble to go through the process to me wasn't worth it over a single pin so I fixed it.

If they should refuse the RMA and send it back, fixing them really isn't a big deal, it's when they breakoff that it becomes a pain but even then there's still hope.
Note this isn't a "Permenant" fix but could get it working in the event of one breaking off.

After spending one month to RMA practically all my X99 system, this is nothing :)

Moreover shipping back is free...

Yeah, those don't look too bad at all.

There's several tools you can use to bend them back to straight.

I've used a knife, credit card, PCI slot covers off of cases, my fingernail, mechanical pencil. There's probably other things I've never even thought to use. I usually just go for my pocket knife though.

It's the one's that are bent over smashed against the PCB that are the real problem. I had a couple that were fully bent over on an AM2 processor I bought once. Doesn't look like any of yours are that bad though.

I like using a razor blade. That cpu would be an easy fix for two reasons. The pins bent are all together in two spots. Also because they are the outside row of pins. I would rma it because if for some reason you mess up the repair it may imperil doing an rma.

You are right as rain about easy with them on outer edge. I just had to straighten 17 pins I think it was when I pulled my FX-8350 out using some old TIM. The cooler mounted on studs that passed thru the cooler mount and there was NO freeken twisting to break it loose and too big a hurry to go the hair dryer...so take the time anyway straightening out the freeken pins.

Pulled the lead from a 'fine' lead mechanical pencil and put them all back in place. Worked a charm. Oh shett forgot had a couple bent past its' neighbor and had to take a needle and start those two back up then finish with mechanical pencil.
RGone...ster.

You are right as rain about easy with them on outer edge. I just had to straighten 17 pins I think it was when I pulled my FX-8350 out using some old TIM. The cooler mounted on studs that passed thru the cooler mount and there was NO freeken twisting to break it loose and too big a hurry to go the hair dryer...so take the time anyway straightening out the freeken pins.

Pulled the lead from a 'fine' lead mechanical pencil and put them all back in place. Worked a charm. Oh shett forgot had a couple bent past its' neighbor and had to take a needle and start those two back up then finish with mechanical pencil.
RGone...ster.

I break out the hairdryer too RGone. Haste does make waste. My problem with stuff like this nowadays is my failing eyesight. Sucks getting old.....

...and had to take a needle and start those two back up...
A syringe needle G18 or 20 (must check) can be modified into a tool of wonder for a task like this :)

Back