• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question regarding sound cards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xijtix

I'm looking to get a sound card. Recently I got an Asus DGX and hooked up my headphones through the analog port and speaker system through optical port. The problem I have is that they both run at the same time which I don't want. I want to be able to switch between the sources. I tried contacting Asus and they said it can't do that so is there a sound card which can? I also happened to have a Creative SB0270 to try for fun but it does the samething as well. On board audio can do it so I don't understand why these sound cards couldn't.

Just about any Creative X-Fi should do it, you would simply switch your audio device in Sound via the Control Panel to the SPDIF Out when you want optical and Speakers when you want to use the headphones. Looks like the Asus DGX uses a c-media chip (and besides that is bargain bin grade), not really surprised the driver\feature set is rather exclusive.

Your only bypass may be using the front panel connect which typically, when headphones are plugged in and detected, sets them as the only output device (just one thing to try just in case you're lucky, before getting an X-Fi).

Let us know if\what works or what you went worth for future reference of others, thanks and :welcome:

I avoid using the front panel because of the cord being run over a lot which was why I had both sources plugged right into the card. Any recommendation on which X-Fi card that would be good choice while on a budget around the the same as the DGX? Headset I'm planning on using is the Sennheiser PC350SE so I guess it'd need one with an amp built in as well.

Know how that goes, lost many a headset that way myself. Couldn't determine if the X-Fi titanium had much of a headphone amp but the Audigy Rx has, $46, and does have an amp. The separate SPDIF output device in the control panel sound section should still be separate. Otherwise, Titaniums are on ebay for under $50 or $50 BiN (SB0880).

What's better between Rx and Titaniums? The Rx doesn't seem to get that many good reviews so I might lean towards the Titanium.

just that they were pulled from an HP, the naming the person may give might be off but hopefully you can get the SB#### from a picture or the listing to look up what it really is. Most of the X-Fi series have different jack configurations per model so that's also a way to figure out what you're really looking at. Mine's a SB0880, $50 is pretty good. Did you ever get around to checking your sound section in control panel to make sure there wasn't the optical device in there to disable (controlling the source). You can throw a shortcut to the Sound properties to your desktop for ease of alternating (it's what I do for counterstrike ;) )

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Creative-So...=US_Sound_Cards_Internal_&hash=item2c91f4e935

When I had the other two, I disabled the onboard audio so it shouldn't have been on with that source at all anyway. I ended up picking up that creative card. Hopefully it works out well. Wish it was a little cheaper though haha.

Just got the card and it does exactly what I want thanks. Just curious why there is audio control panel and console launcher? Do I really need both and which should I keep?

Back