• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

motherboard for AMD Athlon x4 860k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aggeluska

Registered
hello everyone. I am going to buy soon an athlon x4 860k CPU. From what i read on reviews and testing of this CPU is that it is supported from FM2+ motherboards BUT in most of these motherboards zou have to update first the BIOS in order to recognize the CPU. The thing is I dont have a spare FM2+ CPU to update the BIOS and then install the new 860k . So I was wondering if anyone here knows already which motherboards recognize directly the 860k without update the BIOS at first place.

Gee that's a tough one, first I would think that the CPU would work since the architecture really hasn't changed that much. You would need to update the BIOS I suppose to get everything working correctly. The best I could suggest would be to check the website of the motherboard you are considering. They have charts for CPU compatibility and bios versions. Even go as far as to e-mail them if you want to be certain. I haven't had any experience with the FM2+ socket. Like I said initially the architecture really hasn't changed just been fine tuned a bit. Manufacturers said you needed a bios update to go from bulldozer to pildriver and then to the 9XXX CPUs but that wasn't really the case and these Athlons are based on the same core as their APU counterparts.

I did a build for a soldier of mine that chose the 860k and his motherboard didn't need updated. It said it would but worked as soon as I booted it up. He went a little overkill on the board though in my opinion. He went with the Crossblade Ranger from ASUS

He went with the Crossblade Ranger from ASUS

:drool::drool::drool::drool:
That's a nice lookin board Ray.
That's kind of what I thought although the Crossblade is a fairly new addition to the FM2+ lineup. Either way those CPUs haven't really changed a whole lot.

:drool::drool::drool::drool:
That's a nice lookin board Ray.
That's kind of what I thought although the Crossblade is a fairly new addition to the FM2+ lineup. Either way those CPUs haven't really changed a whole lot.

Yea the board looked really good in person..But a $150 dollar board for a CPU almost half the price just seems a little crazy. But I got a nice overclock for him on it.

The intro of that board has always made me wonder what's coming down the line for FM2+.

The intro of that board has always made me wonder what's coming down the line for FM2+.

Thats kinda what i've been wondering. Very nice board for the CPUs they have out right now. Did a little research the other day and read a little about the possible next lineup.

I would suggest something with at least the newest chipset my self which is the x88. It might cost a bit more but one place you shouldn't skimp is on your motherboard. This will also be more likely to be up-gradable in the future.

When CPUs are not listed as being supported by a certain bios that doesn't necessarily mean they won't work at all but it may mean that they will operate at reduced frequency. But that may be good enough to install the right bios. No guarantees about that though. It may not work at all.

hello everyone. I am going to buy soon an athlon x4 860k CPU. From what i read on reviews and testing of this CPU is that it is supported from FM2+ motherboards BUT in most of these motherboards zou have to update first the BIOS in order to recognize the CPU. The thing is I dont have a spare FM2+ CPU to update the BIOS and then install the new 860k . So I was wondering if anyone here knows already which motherboards recognize directly the 860k without update the BIOS at first place.

I have a Crossblade Ranger and a Asus A88X-PRO. Both are great boards. Really good overclockers. The Asus A88X-PRO I got factory refurbished for $51 shipped!

Back