• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Plasma panels for gaming?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

I never hear/read about anyone using plasma LCD's for
gaming so I'm assuming there must be something bad
about using plasma panels for gaming.

I've been disappointed w/the LCD panel I bought for
gaming. It was cheap (an AOC 23" 1080p panel), but
the ghosting and lack of color depth next to my CRT were
noticeable.

where do they have plasma computer monitors?

what he said. i don't really like playing any game with a mouse on my tv as the input lag is annoying (my tv is plasma) and you can't fix it. high power, high weight. i think the smallest plasmas even go is like 37" or something like that. the picture is beautiful, but IPS is the way to go for computer screens and looking good.

plasmas are good for console gaming, especially older consoles since they act more like a CRT tv than an LCD does.

as for PC gaming...not so good

I bought an NEC plasma around the year 2002, and one thing I remember when playing games on it was how it felt much like fast CRT. The black levels were amazing, and refresh rate was somewhere around 600Hz. Input was limited to 60Hz, but the panel refreshed at the higher. The only downside was burn-in. Any type of hud or persistent images would ghost the image for some time. The panel went back to normal, but the length of time burn-in remained varied.

I bought an NEC plasma around the year 2002, and one thing I remember when playing games on it was how it felt much like fast CRT. The black levels were amazing, and refresh rate was somewhere around 600Hz. Input was limited to 60Hz, but the panel refreshed at the higher. The only downside was burn-in. Any type of hud or persistent images would ghost the image for some time. The panel went back to normal, but the length of time burn-in remained varied.

you hit the nail on the head with the burn-in issues.

you hit the nail on the head with the burn-in issues.

Burn in doesn't seem to be an issue anymore. I've been using a plasma TV for gaming for a few years and have never had a problem. Burn in for plasma tv's is not the problem it was years ago, if you leave one image on the screen for a few hours it might ghost for awhile but not for long. Plasma TV's are great for gaming, better than LCD's in my opinion.

Back