• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Could my PSU be the issue?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
So i have been messing with my x99 today, and so far, its just not good.

I am having big issues, and i cant help at wonder if its all starting fron my psu.

I have a Corsair Ax1200, since this x99 its started to have horrible coil whine. Soon as the 24pin is pulled out the motherboard, the coil whine stops.

With my old Z87 setup, there was no coil whine at all.

Also, the systems restarts, crashes at random. I did a full reinstall of os, all was good. Setup the trifire, ran for an hour or so, then installed 3dmark11, first launch, pc goes black screen and restarts.

I am starting to believe, after doing a wattage calculation on that extreme site, that i am cutting it close.

It said minimum 1000watt, which i do have, but its getting old, i have had it for about 18 to 24months, and i bought it used, so it could be 3 or 4 years old, maybe more?

Could i be right in thinking its getting tired my psu?

I have started a ticket for RMA for my AX1200, lets see what happens, but i'll prolly end up with a new PSU Since 1200watt now seems like cutting it close?

What to go for?

Season 1200W platinum
Corsair AX1500
EVGA 1300 Gold

AX1500 being the most costly, and the EVGA being the cheapest, by a big margin.

Back