• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Clean install of windows 8 with an upgrade key

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xander89

Hey guys

I just wanted to ask if any of you had attempted to install a fresh install of windows 8 from an upgrade key.

The deal is i am building a photo editing rig for my gf's dad and i recently put an SSD in his laptop which i am using in the build ( which had windows 7 installed on it.)

I wanted to do a clean install as i hate installing OS's over each other but i only bought the following windows key from amazon hoping to just do a clean install, but I have heard that there are various error codes which are sometimes thrown up if you try and fresh install with an upgrade key. It never used to be an issues with windows 7.

Just wondering if any has had any experience doing this. Fresh install, using a upgrade key to active, for windows 8 specifically.

Cheers guys. :)

Last edited:
thanks for the reply, but not to be rude i am aware of how to install it, this is not my first time installing an OS clean, infact im somewhere near the 50 mark. The difference is i have heard there are various error codes thrown up when doing a fresh install and trying to authenticate using an upgrade key opposed to a full retail key. I was wondering if anyone has had this specific problem?

There is a possible fix here but i wanted to know if and how much success people have had with it.

Last edited:
I have never used that work around, but I know people who have used it with great success. Another alternative is to get the full .iso from MS, http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media. You will need a generic key for the install, and when your install is done, you can activate with your upgrade key. I have used this method, myself. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media. The firts key in the OP, is for Pro, the second key is for Home. The method you mentioned will work fine, and so will the method I used.

Back