• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this a mPCIe slot?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JeremyCT

Motherboard: Asus Z87 Pro V-Edition

Picture: 2014-11-27 14.32.47.jpg

Question!

Is that an mPCIe connector? It sure looks like one. The issue is, I can't find documentation of this slot anywhere in the manual or specifications for this motherboard. Is it possible that it's present, functional, and undocumented? Or is it there physically but disabled in firmware?

The reason I ask is because I'm looking to upgrade my wireless from G to AC and it's a question of whether I can get an mPCIe card and antennae or if I need to get a more standard PCIe/USB type of solution.

Yep, that's mini PCIe.
I doubt it'd be there just to be disabled, that'd be a waste of money.

Right, that's what I figure. But then why isn't it listed as an expansion slot or feature anywhere in the official specs? The diagram in the manual shows that area as blank/unoccupied. It's very strange, hence my confusion over the whole thing. I'm afraid if I buy a nice Intel 7260 to go in that space that it just won't work.

If it isn't enabled by default, grab the BIOS from a Z87 Pro (non-V), because they have WiFi built in.

I decided to go with the PCIe card. The Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I card has an included antenna and is based on the 7260 I was going to get anyway, for a whopping $3 more than the 7260 module alone (no antennae). And I don't have to worry whether the mPCIe slot is active. Win-win-win-win?

Back