• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1GB 667mhz with 2GB 800mhz overcooked

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chad29

Registered
I currently have a 2GB 800mhz stick in my board and x2 1GB 667mhz sticks just laying around.. Is it safe to put one of those in with the 2GB 800mhz which is overclocked

Yes, it is safe, but I wouldn't do it. You would have problems with instability. You will have a hard time getting the different ram to run at at the same speed, and timings. You really want a matched set if you want to add more memory.

There's an option in the bios to set it to 667mhz, would that work??

It might, ymmv. You also have to make sure the ram timings are all set the same, with the same voltage. You might end up with some bsod's, or app crashes. I still wouldn't do it, though.

Ok thanks... I'll put it in and see what CPU-Z says about it ... How much of a difference would an extra 1GB make though? (I usually have about 50% free ram most of the time ,and some games use it all with about 150MB left)

If you are only using that much ram, it really wont make much of a difference.

Ok then it's probably not worth it.. 2GB will have to suffice

I am going to disagree - the biggest issue with running this setup would be a lack of dual channel capability. Running mismatched ram has rarely actually resulted in instability for me if I'm running a system at stock settings, and that is extending back to DDR1. I would just try it out - it certainly isn't the best configuration, but 2gb is pretty scant these days - hell, chrome will take that much with a few tabs open and flash content running.

How would I test the stability of it? ... I put the 1GB in today and it seems to be working fine

That's essentially good enough if you are just running this computer as your daily driver. If it's unstable you'll get bsods and crashes.

Ok well I've had none of those all day so I guess I'm stable .... Thanks for all the help

Back