• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LG G3 Thoughts & First Impressions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
that's strange it should auto detect a 3 or 4 conductor plug to go to headphone or headset mode. atleast the one I fooled around with briefly did.

I had one at work, was checking it out and then sold it right then and there so I wasn't able to do much with it. hows the preloaded crapware situation?
Samsung ets worse and worse and I so badly want to flash the rom to some thing that doesnt suck so bad but its almost not worth my time any more really

that's strange it should auto detect a 3 or 4 conductor plug to go to headphone or headset mode. atleast the one I fooled around with briefly did.

I had one at work, was checking it out and then sold it right then and there so I wasn't able to do much with it. hows the preloaded crapware situation?
Samsung ets worse and worse and I so badly want to flash the rom to some thing that doesnt suck so bad but its almost not worth my time any more really

Yeah, I'm starting to lean towards a defective set of headphones for that, like an internal short somewhere or something making it think there's that 4th conductor, as I've been using a different set lately and haven't had it happen.

For crapware I can't uninstall, I've seen worse but I'd still probably root it if it wasn't my work phone (I'll probably ask if t's against policy at some point). The main problems are things Verizon sticks on there and won't let me fully uninstall. A few Amazon apps I would be happy to get rid of and I prefer the default Google voice search to LGs, but nothing too bad.

I was fairly surprised with the bloat - it's not intrusive, nor does it bog the phone down. Whatever you can't uninstall, you can mostly disable. However, very strangely, you have to have Verizion Visual Voicemail (VVM) installed and enabled to get voicemail notifications. I do not use the service and won't, but if you uninstall it (I'm rooted on a custom stock-based ROM), you don't get voicemail notifications. Aside from that, the rest of it can go.

If I ever have time, I'll post how to root, bump & install custom ROMs on the G3 for posterity. Time isn't with me right now I'm afraid. Should anyone be interested, I use the SkyDragon stock-based ROM with the SkyDragon kernel. The combination make this phone absolutely fly and have great battery life too. I can get between 5.5 and 6 hours screen-on time, and seemingly limitless standby time. It's a wonderful experience, really.

I got the T-Mobile version (D851) a few weeks ago. The only "bloat" is Lookout, which is disabled and inactive by default. I had to buy a new antenna on Amazon (was less than $5) for combined NFC and Qi support, since the included cover only had NFC.. I'll wait until next year when the warranty is out to mess with custom firmware. There's supposed to be a stock update to 5.0 soon, anyway. I'm glad there's at least one company that still understands a replaceable battery and expandable storage are important things to have.

I got a "Tech21 impactology" case because the store manager made a great sales pitch. He was talking to somebody else at the other corner of the store, and pegged his phone into the corner wall where I was standing where it bounced and hit a shelf then the floor. His phone was fine, so I bought the same case :)

Last edited:
so I am seeing reports that the 16gb version only has 2 gigs of ram and the 32gb has 3 gigs of ram, can any one verify that 16gb versions only have 2 gigs of ram?
I would definitely need the 3gigs of ram but 32gigs of storage is wasted on me. for what ever reason the apps I use are super ram hogs, and they aren't games or any thing.

my android usage is going to skyrocket here soon once I database and sort all my gaming collection into an app on the phone so I can get prices and know if I already have a particular game in the collection already

Yes, that is correct; the 32GB version has 3 gigs of RAM and the 16GB version doesn't. If you're in the US, I think all carriers (Verizon for sure) only sell the 32GB version for that reason. If you're out of the US and have a choice, avoid the 16GB version because of that.

ok that's the plan, I think I'm gonna get one on AT&T in the next few weeks.

I wanted the G3 Prime or LTE-A or what ever one had the Cat 6 LTE with the super huge bandwidth but I cant seem to find any. the wife might be joining the D.O.D.s program as a school teacher before we are able to upgrade again and we might get shipped out to teach at an army base over seas (shes used to that shes an army brat) and I wanted something to take advantage of that AND be unlocked off the bat but as I said before I cant find any

ok that's the plan, I think I'm gonna get one on AT&T in the next few weeks.

I wanted the G3 Prime or LTE-A or what ever one had the Cat 6 LTE with the super huge bandwidth but I cant seem to find any. the wife might be joining the D.O.D.s program as a school teacher before we are able to upgrade again and we might get shipped out to teach at an army base over seas (shes used to that shes an army brat) and I wanted something to take advantage of that AND be unlocked off the bat but as I said before I cant find any

The LTE it has is nice enough. I can get 30 Mbps in places that aren't Arkansas (damn you Arkansas). The GPS locks on practically instantly, too.

I see that some models have an antenna, do they all have antennas ? (the one that is coming out of right corner, 2002 kind :D) its so lame :)

The LTE it has is nice enough. I can get 30 Mbps in places that aren't Arkansas (damn you Arkansas). The GPS locks on practically instantly, too.

About the gps, it has glonass that's the one that doesn't require cell towers and communicates directly and solely, if need be, with gps satellites like sat nav in a car right

I see that some models have an antenna, do they all have antennas ? (the one that is coming out of right corner, 2002 kind :D) its so lame :)

That's a TV antenna only on international versions. No US models have it.

About the gps, it has glonass that's the one that doesn't require cell towers and communicates directly and solely, if need be, with gps satellites like sat nav in a car right

GPS: U.S.A. satellite system.
A-GPS: Assisted GPS, uses cell towers (or any other communication channel) to get time-of-day / coarse location to assist in getting faster lock on.
GLONASS: Russian satellite system.

The G3 has all three of those, so you've got two satellite systems plus cell towers to position from.

I had the d801 and upgraded under the jump program the the G3 when it first came out and couldn't be happier. It's simply a great phone with: 32Gb RAM, SD Card slot, OIS camera sensor, removable battery should you actually need it and dat IPS screen. I have it in the same Diztronic case listed above which gives good protection with little bulk. And having to use a Samsung S4 for work, I can easily say that the UI is better too IMO, less crayola looking.

Nexus 6 has no removable battery and no expandable storage. The camera also is just plan not as good, if that's important to you. Aside from that it's a very desirable phone; but those make it a nonstarter for me, personally. Definitely don't begrudge those that get one though. :)

yea the removable battery was important, how ever the water resistance kinda made up for that but...
I got (or will get) a G3 by the end of the week. we got one but the wife wanted white after all of it and that helped me decide between the nexus and the g3 so since she wanted white and we activated a black on I will take the black and she'll get the white one.

FYI the AT&T version has ALOT of bloat on it, so i'll be looking for a way to get rid of all the crap on it

Last edited:
Hi, I got my LG G3 16/2 less than one month ago..

I like the quad HD display, but the battery is draining so fast even with roote and greenify... When playing like 5 min. of Clash of Clans, the phone is burning hot, and it become so laggy...
Also the multitasking is horrible.. Whenever i switch betweet 2 apps, or even in google chrome tabs, it reloads everytime...

But there are some good sides for this phone, like the double tap to wake is very good, the buttons on the back are very good, the camera is really very good. Also the knock code is an awesome feature, I'd like to see this on my future Note 4..

I'm going to sold this phone, and buy a Note 4 because I had the Note 3 before this G3...

So that was my impressions of the G3..

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! If you're interested in keeping it at all, you might want to consider a custom ROM. With stock-based custom ROMs with a custom kernel I could get over 4 hours of screen-on-time. With my current Lollipop AOSP ROM (Illusion, click here for info on the Verizion version) I'm getting over 5 hours SOT. Yes this screen is a battery hog, but with a good ROM you can get it to last a relatively long time.

Custom ROMs also fixed any lag I had due to the bloatware on the phone. This thing was rooted and experimenting literally the day after I got it. :)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! If you're interested in keeping it at all, you might want to consider a custom ROM. With stock-based custom ROMs with a custom kernel I could get over 4 hours of screen-on-time. With my current Lollipop AOSP ROM (Illusion, click here for info on the Verizion version) I'm getting over 5 hours SOT. Yes this screen is a battery hog, but with a good ROM you can get it to last a relatively long time.

Custom ROMs also fixed any lag I had due to the bloatware on the phone. This thing was rooted and experimenting literally the day after I got it. :)

Hi, The day I got it I rooted it, and installed a custom lollipop rom (based on stock) the battery didn't last a day and I had only 3h of SOT..
Now I'm on stock kitkat for 2 weeks now, with xposed and all bloatware removed.. I get only 2h30 of SOT now... Look at the screen below, it's from 10h this morning to now...
Also I'd like to stay on stock based rom, because I like the double tap to wake and all that stuff... But if someone can confirm my battery will last longer and I'll get a better multitasking management on another rom (with xposed compatible if possible) I'll install it tonight..

Attachments

• 1422051960733.jpg
    1422051960733.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 102
Try an AOSP based lollipop ROM. I've seen quite a few reports of poor battery life on stock Lollipop (on international versions of course...Verizon hasn't graced us with LP yet). My LP ROM has double tap to wake built in. Chances are good you can find one for your variant.

Of course, you'll lose exposed on LP because of ART unfortunately.

Back