• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LG G3 Thoughts & First Impressions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You know me too well! ...but not yet. I've been flashing new betas and different LP builds practically every other day since the beginning of March. It's time for a break. :p

Samsung is supposed to be upgrading their newer phones to lollipop too. I just hope it's voluntary and not pushed out or else. My carrier US Cellular's phones are not rootable due to no sim card. They just have a chip on the main board. US Cellular doesn't want any of their phones going elsewhere once the 2yr contract is up.

Samsung is supposed to be upgrading their newer phones to lollipop too. I just hope it's voluntary and not pushed out or else. My carrier US Cellular's phones are not rootable due to no sim card. They just have a chip on the main board. US Cellular doesn't want any of their phones going elsewhere once the 2yr contract is up.

well my note 4 910H is still waiting for lollipop :(

I went to the US Cellular site and it said lollipop was available for my phone. However there was no download link :(

Tried to use the software update feature on my phone and it said no new updates available. I'm still on 4.4.x :-/

I went to the US Cellular site and it said lollipop was available for my phone. However there was no download link :(

Tried to use the software update feature on my phone and it said no new updates available. I'm still on 4.4.x :-/

T-Mobile still hasn't published their promised update, either. Would think with how ahead of the game T-Mobile is with data plans they wouldn't lag so far behind elsewhere :)

You know me too well! ...but not yet. I've been flashing new betas and different LP builds practically every other day since the beginning of March. It's time for a break. :p

The G3's now come with Lollipop now :)

All I did was root it, and clean up the bloatware crap.
Thinking of a Hyperion Orange case.

Yep! They're still a little behind though and on 5.0.2. Rumor has it LG is going to skip 5.1 altogether and just release M once it's out. After adding their GUI plus the carriers' bloat, my guess is there will be an update sometime in early 2016.

Just this weekend I got the itch and flashed an AOSP 5.1.1 build, and it is wonderful. If you go that route, you'll need to find a good flashable camera (the MotoX camera works quite well), but aside from that it's flawless. Battery life seems better too. Nothing wrong with stock lollipop on these though; I was just itching to use 5.1 instead of 5.0 for a while. I have a stock TWRP backup ready to go in the event I want to switch back quickly. :)

Yep! They're still a little behind though and on 5.0.2. Rumor has it LG is going to skip 5.1 altogether and just release M once it's out. After adding their GUI plus the carriers' bloat, my guess is there will be an update sometime in early 2016.

Just this weekend I got the itch and flashed an AOSP 5.1.1 build, and it is wonderful. If you go that route, you'll need to find a good flashable camera (the MotoX camera works quite well), but aside from that it's flawless. Battery life seems better too. Nothing wrong with stock lollipop on these though; I was just itching to use 5.1 instead of 5.0 for a while. I have a stock TWRP backup ready to go in the event I want to switch back quickly. :)

I'm thinking Cyanogen again :)

Anything special from 5.0.2 to 5.1.1?

Got a few more months on mine before it is out of warranty, then it will be tasting the pleasures of xda firmwares :)

I'm thinking Cyanogen again :)

Anything special from 5.0.2 to 5.1.1?
Which model is yours? i.e. d850, vs985, etc? Should be right under the battery cover. Depending on the model, there very well could be many better AOSP options than Cyanogen. Cyanogenmod is a one-size-fits-all ROM that's used as a starting point by the device-dedicated developers out there. There are many AOSP and/or Cyanogen-based ROMs that are more tailored for our devices. When a phone is otherwise ROM-less, Cyanogenmod is a good option...when it's not, I'd steer toward the better options.

As far as differences between 5.0.2 & 5.1.1, I can't tell all that much. It ditches the boot animation memory leak bug (which never hurt the G3 that badly because it has plenty of RAM). Most of them also have the built-in stagefright security issue fix. Aside from that the main difference is pure AOSP vs. LG's heavily modified version, and there's a lot to be said for that!
Got a few more months on mine before it is out of warranty, then it will be tasting the pleasures of xda firmwares :)
Pff...software won't hurt anything (most of the time, and within reason). If you can get it into download mode, you can flash back to stock easy as pie. If you can't, chances are the phone is so dead that LG can't either. I wouldn't let that stop me. :p

Which model is yours? i.e. d850, vs985, etc? Should be right under the battery cover. Depending on the model, there very well could be many better AOSP options than Cyanogen. Cyanogenmod is a one-size-fits-all ROM that's used as a starting point by the device-dedicated developers out there. There are many AOSP and/or Cyanogen-based ROMs that are more tailored for our devices. When a phone is otherwise ROM-less, Cyanogenmod is a good option...when it's not, I'd steer toward the better options.

As far as differences between 5.0.2 & 5.1.1, I can't tell all that much. It ditches the boot animation memory leak bug (which never hurt the G3 that badly because it has plenty of RAM). Most of them also have the built-in stagefright security issue fix. Aside from that the main difference is pure AOSP vs. LG's heavily modified version, and there's a lot to be said for that!

Pff...software won't hurt anything (most of the time, and within reason). If you can get it into download mode, you can flash back to stock easy as pie. If you can't, chances are the phone is so dead that LG can't either. I wouldn't let that stop me. :p

It says D850, but software info under settings says D852...

Hmm...not sure which to go by then. I'd say D850 since that's printed on the phone. If D852 ROMs will work, you can use those listed as D852 or D85x in the international G3 section. If only D852 ROMs work, that looks like it's AT&T's model, ROMs for which you can find in the AT&T specific section.

I'm on Verizon, so my model is the VS985.

As far as actual warranty voidance, once my warranty runs out I'm seriously considering the thermal paste mod. Though that guy puts WAY too much TIM on there. He's filling a gap, not the grand canyon. :p

Hmm...not sure which to go by then. I'd say D850 since that's printed on the phone. If D852 ROMs will work, you can use those listed as D852 or D85x in the international G3 section. If only D852 ROMs work, that looks like it's AT&T's model, ROMs for which you can find in the AT&T specific section.

As far as actual warranty voidance, once my warranty runs out I'm seriously considering the thermal paste mod. Though that guy puts WAY too much TIM on there. He's filling a gap, not the grand canyon. :p

Wonder is flashing the AT&T ROM's would prevent me from using my network.... I'm with Virgin.
If flashing goes wrong, I hear there's some LG flash tool??

Nice video too. That guy needs to learn how much TIM to apply lol.
Honestly though, I'm currently underclocking my G3. :shock:
Still gets warm, but things are still smooth so I can probably reduce the clocks further.

Last edited:

Wonder is flashing the AT&T ROM's would prevent me from using my network.... I'm with Virgin.
If flashing goes wrong, I hear there's some LG flash tool??

Nice video too. That guy needs to learn how much TIM to apply lol.
Honestly though, I'm currently underclocking my G3. :shock:
Still gets warm, but things are still smooth so I can probably reduce the clocks further.

http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_g3-6294.php

You're in Canada, so I suspect the D852 is purely a firmware variant on the D850 (AT&T) to support different radio frequencies. Probably inadvisable to flash it with generic D850 ROMs if you plan to use it as a phone :)

I found american ROMs to be hit or miss with my phones sofar. Some work right away, some need me to find the Canadian modems to flash onto the phone, some I just couldn't get working at all.
Just make sure you have a good backup of the phone before testing out american ROMs, and write down the APN info for your network, as some ROMs will work after manually inputting it.

I didn't think American ROM's would work out of box, but it's good to hear that they can work up here.
No flashing yet, stock lollipop is super smooth for me. Only think I miss is skipping tracks with the volume buttons... :(

Back