• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LG G3 Thoughts & First Impressions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just ticked below 50% and on pace for just barely under 5hrs SOT.

Attachments

• 1422136955418.jpg
    1422136955418.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 177
Sure, I'll try to get one tomorrow.

I use the IR transmitter to control our TV, cable box and receiver. It's also fun for a party trick to mess with friends/family. Aside from that I haven't tried to do anything else.

Sure, I'll try to get one tomorrow.

I use the IR transmitter to control our TV, cable box and receiver. It's also fun for a party trick to mess with friends/family. Aside from that I haven't tried to do anything else.

its also fun to change the channel with while out at a restaurant, or a bar!

Here is a random macro shot as close as it would consistently focus.

Attachments

• 1422716467784.jpg
    1422716467784.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 153
Thanks for the picture. I cracked the screen on my S3 for the 2nd time and am considering upgrading to the newer generation. I'm still clinging to my unlimited data plan, so its gonna cost me.

Yes, it's tough to let that go. If you do, this is a worthy replacement.

If you do get one, I'm happy to point you to very solid ROMs, stock or AOSP. The one AOSP one I'm using is Illusion ROM, and it is epic. Especially with the new theme engine. ;)

Attachments

• 1422761808605.jpg
    1422761808605.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 150
mine updated, by it self, to 5.0

it didn't give me the option to update, it just did it. kinda pissed me off because I was going to dig into it and remove the bloat now I gotta wait till some one figures it out with the stock 5.0 rom

Yea, system updates on this phone are aggressive. That's part of why I ditched stock and went with a custom ROM from the beginning, so I'd have control over when/if it upgraded (and could hold off to see other people's experiences with them).

On the plus side though, it's nice to hear they have actually started updating in the US! What carrier are you using? I'd like to try going back to a stock-based ROM, mostly for the camera. I use a flashable Motorola camera on my AOSP ROM and it takes good photos, it's just not as full featured as the stock camera.

If you really want to be rid of stock 5.0 for now, you can always downgrade back to an earlier build, root & install TWRP, then install a custom stock-based ROM that won't allow updates. All the benefits of a stock ROM with none of the bloat! I'd recommend SkyDragon ROM if you're on Verizon. :)

I'm on at&t.
I noticed last night, after reporting a horny bot poster, that 5.0 caches more background apps and almost maxes out my ram. I did hear about a memory leak in 5, I wonder if this is related

what I am saying is its holding on to and caching apps in the ram I'm not even using and then when something goes to start up that I do use it stalls it because it almost refuses to make room.
my ram shouldn't be maxed out with ebay, browser and standard stock apps. a lot of the bload has been disabled and I verified they weren't running

4.x.x didn't do that

Well, it's supposed to use the RAM for sure. It will load it up with applications you've used recently, that's by design. However, it should have no trouble making room as needed when you run new apps. If it's not doing that, that's definitely a problem. I have no such issues on Lollipop, but I'm on an AOSP-based ROM, not stock based (stupid Verizon...)

One of the best phones i have ever owned. The specs alone sold me instantly. I love how you don't need buttons to use it (cough Samsung)

*WARNING* - There have been at least two known hard bricks using this method. It has worked successfully for many people, including myself three times. However, with two hard bricks, this isn't something to go into without at least considering the possibility. The standard warning has always been in this thread (second paragraph), but consider yourself doubly warned. Now that we have root and TWRP on 5.0 stock, this method is all but obsolete. We're just waiting on the good devs to bring us superb Lollipop stock ROMs like SkyDragon by [MENTION=1211160]HolyAngel[/MENTION] and Jasmine by [MENTION=5868929]hsbadr[/MENTION]. Once those are out, this method should really only be used if you need "official" software on your phone. Or you can just wait for Verizon to push the actual OTA, which is probably technically safer than any custom flashing methods there are.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
**NOTE** - There are two stellar custom-stock ROMs here in the form of Jasmine v.5.0 and SkyDragon 3.0.0. There is no longer any need to use this method to upgrade to stock LP unless you just really need the software status to say "official". Download link & instructions at the following links:

SkyDragon G3 VS985 Edition Version 3.0.0
JasmineROM v5.0 Release [LP] [Stock] [Rooted] [Unmodified]

Well, if you've been following along at XDA, Verizon's version of stock Lollipop for the G3 has leaked! It's annoying that there is no root yet, but that doesn't stop a flash addict like me, especially when there is an easy way to get all of your apps restored from Titanium Backup before losing root.

The good news is that you can downgrade back to 10B (the only root-able version) at any time and get back to rooted goodness and flashing rooted stock-KK or AOSP-Lollipop. I'm hopeful we'll get root eventually for stock Lollipop, but it's too soon for that.

Now I thought I'd type up a quick and easy how-to for upgrading to stock Lollipop on the G3 for anyone interested in trying it out! Please note NONE of this information is original to me. All credit goes to the respective posters at XDA.

First, you need to download several files. The first several have to do with KDZ'ing back to 10B, followed by 12B (you WILL LOSE DATA going back to 10B...back up everything!).

Things you will need:
Drivers from LG for the G3.
Two files from this download page - the 10B KDZ file (VS98510B_01.kdz) and the 23A update file (LG_VS985_12B-23A.dlpkgfile).
The 12B KDZ file. (Alternate mirror.)
The LG Flash Tool 2014 (originally from this thread).

Now that you have those, we can move on to the directions. To KDZ back to 10B (followed by 12B after a few interim steps), you need to follow the procedure outlined here by annoyingduck. I'm quoting everything so it's all in one post, but linking back so those who made it get all the credit.

When flashing the 10B KDZ, you must use the "CSE Flash" option, because you're downgrading and getting rid of everything on your phone. To repeat - you will lose ALL data, so copy your TiBu folder, your photos, files, etc. elsewhere first.

-First remove any of the .tot flashing tools/programs that you may have already installed as they will conflict with the KDZ flashing tool.
-Download and install the latest LG drivers for your phone here (FYI I am linking the LG site directly instead of the file to ensure that you download the current up-to-date drivers): http://www.lg.com/us/support-mobile/lg-VS985-Metallic-Black
-Download the VS985 10b KDZ file from here: http://downloads.codefi.re/autoprime/LG/LG_G3/VS985 and thank [MENTION=2684188]autoprime[/MENTION] in whatever manner you deem fit.
-*New* Mirror for 10b.01 KDZ: https://mega.co.nz/#!7ERgXJbI!2KxATJt7q-HWvAPbTfVrT3wGuwPjWCw70N65MVlgfWg md5: d228ba692ef0c4704cba0b00fad8b8ce
-Download the LG Flash Tool 2014 from this thread here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2797190 and be sure to thank [MENTION=2181463]quangnhut123[/MENTION] for his efforts. Also read that thread a bit so you understand how to fully use the tool exactly, but I will outline the process below.
-Extract the .zip folder to wherever you wish to keep it (desktop, downloads, etc).
-Copy the 10b KDZ file (or whatever KDZ your flashing) into the LG Flash Tool folder
-Power off your phone completely, hold volume up, plug in the usb cable, wait for any drivers to load, and you should then be in Download Mode
-Run LGFlashTool2014.exe (you may need to run as administer as its not an installed program, rather an executed one from wherever you saved the folder).
-You may need to install Visual C++ Runtime Library. If so, refer to the LG Flash Tool thread for more info on obtaining that.
-Select CDMA as your type
-Select Diag as your phone mode
-Select your KDZ file that you copied or pasted into the folder
-Choose the option of CSE Flash (this is a full wipe, you will lose your data). Do not choose Normal Flash when performing a downgrade, nothing good will come from doing that!! Another screen will open, just leave everything the way it is.
-Click the Start button and yet another window will appear showing a language selection screen. Just leave everything the way it is as Korean and hit OK. Don't worry, the tool is already set to flash in English.
-Wait until the Flash is done 100% and unplug/reboot... and that's it

Ok, now that you're back to 10B, it's time to do some work there. You need to root your phone, install Titanium Backup and restore your backed up apps & their data. I prefer to use the IOroot method. So root, then install all your apps. After that, it's time to update to 12B. You're doing the same thing you did with 10B, except this time you are choosing "Normal Flash", not CSE flash, because you're upgrading. Once you've done that, you will be upgraded to 12B and will have lost root. Here is more from annoyingduck:

-Restore apps, and select system data items you want restored (aka: call log, sms/mms messages, wifi access points, bluetooth pairings) via Titanium
-KDZ to 12b, but this time choose NORMAL flash. No bootloops because it's an upgrade
-Root is now lost, but atleast all your apps and data are already there

Now we're going to update to 23A using a method described here by justiz33.

Do not attempt unless you are sure of yourself and have a high percentage of battery left.

if you are on 12B and NONROOT, you can put the update on /storage/external_SD/SoftwareUpdate/23A.up (**hokie note - FYI, I had to put mine on the internal SD in a SoftwareUpdate folder for this to work; it wouldn't flash when on the external SD card. Don't forget to rename your update downloaded above to "23A.up")
then download and install Activity Launcher (**hokie note - Here's a play store link.)

then in Activity Launcher use the drop down to switch between ALL ACTIVITY.
scroll down to the bottom area and look for either 'Software Update' or com.lge.permission (**hokie note - Mine was titled a little differently, something like com.lge.fotaupdate.permission.)
click the dropdown and expand the list.
look for DmcEzUpdateStart and click it.
You should be on a black screen with FOTA UPDATE written, just sit on that screen and wait 3 min and it will then say 'Shutting Down'
It should reboot and start the update.

Now we'll let annoyingduck take us home.

-Be prepared to wait a while while all that bloat and user apps optimize in ART!!
-Put your internal sd card data you pulled earlier back on your phone
-Cry now, because its a nice build and your stuck without root. No more saving your app data with Titanium or removing the load of ****e Verizon has put into it...... unless a root method is found.
-You can KDZ or TOT back to stock, re-root, bump recovery, flash 12b radio, and restore your backup if you can't live without root....which I will be doing again shortly because my OCD won't allow me to function with apps like NFL mobile embedded in my phone!! Just wanted to outline a method for you guys.

So there you have it, you're on Verizon official stock Lollipop (23A) for the G3! Now, there's a lot of bloat on there, which you can disable at will. This is a list of apps that are safe to disable, courtesy roirraW "edor" ehT and typed up by yours truly.

Can Be Uninstalled said:
Farmville
iHeartRadio

Can Be Disabled said:
Amazon
Amazon app suite
Amazon Kindle
Amazon MP3
Appstore
Audible
Cloud
DT Ignite
FamilyBase Companion
Favorite Contacts Widget
FIle Manager
Google Play Books
Google Play Games
Google Play Movies & TV
Google Play Music
Google Play Newsstand
Google+
LG TTS+
Message+
Music
Music
My InfoZone
My Verizon Mobile
NFL Mobile
SLacker
Support & Protection
Verizion Location Agent
VZ Navigator

After disabling most of that (I think I left one or two I use on, like G+, Google Books, etc), my G3 is happily up & running without issue. Some have discovered issues with their installs.

The only issue I've had is gmail not syncing on WiFi. I've tried everything I (and the community) can think of and am unable to fix the no-notifications-on-WiFi bug. Unfortunately I'm not alone, but it doesn't affect everyone. So, be forewarned, this is a semi-widespread bug. Everything else I experienced about this build is absolutely wonderful, save for that one bug.

Once you're done, you should be greeted by some notifications similar to these...and a software info screen that looks like this. With the bloat disabled, Antutu treated me well with a score over 41K. That's without any tweaking at all obviously since there is no root yet.

There you have it folks...if you want to be an early stock Lollipop adopter on the Verizon G3, this is how to do it!

Last edited:
Well, if you've been following along at XDA, Verizon's version of stock Lollipop for the G3 has leaked! It's annoying that there is no root yet, but that doesn't stop a flash addict like me, especially when there is an easy way to get all of your apps restored from Titanium Backup before losing root.

The good news is that you can downgrade back to 10B (the only root-able version) at any time and get back to rooted goodness and flashing rooted stock-KK or AOSP-Lollipop. I'm hopeful we'll get root eventually for stock Lollipop, but it's too soon for that.

LG is still LG, there will be root released sooner rather or later (tm).

LG is still LG, there will be root released sooner rather or later (tm).
That's encouraging...and cryptic! Is that just based on history, or do you know something? I'm hoping against hope that there will be a root for 23A so I don't have to downgrade and can just get rooted. I'm loving the build so far though; everything is running great.

The only quirk was that gmail wouldn't notify me on WiFi. On suggestion from XDA, I used LG's built-in backup (which seems to be equivalent to TiBu in every way BTW), did a full factory reset and then reinstalled all my stuff with the LG utility. The phone was very close to the way it was (I had to re-disable the bloat) and notifications work.

With the equivalent of TiBu built in, that means the only thing I miss about root is being able to change DPI. Aside from that, I'm pretty much completely happy without it.

Updated my little tutorial with a new mirror (android file host) for the 12B KDZ because it was on Mega (blech) and my experience with the no-notifications-on-WiFi bug (I couldn't fix it). I can, however, confirm flashing back to 10B, re-rooting, re-installing bumped TWRP and going back to my nandroid backup works just fine. :)

Updated the tutorial with the following:

*WARNING* - There have been at least two known hard bricks using this method. It has worked successfully for many people, including myself three times. However, with two hard bricks, this isn't something to go into without at least considering the possibility. The standard warning has always been in this thread (second paragraph), but consider yourself doubly warned. Now that we have root and TWRP on 5.0 stock, this method is all but obsolete. We're just waiting on the good devs to bring us superb Lollipop stock ROMs like SkyDragon by [MENTION=1211160]HolyAngel[/MENTION] and Jasmine by [MENTION=5868929]hsbadr[/MENTION]. Once those are out, this method should really only be used if you need "official" software on your phone. Or you can just wait for Verizon to push the actual OTA, which is probably technically safer than any custom flashing methods there are.
**NOTE** - The first custom-stock ROM is here in the form of Jasmine v.5.0. There is no longer any need to use this method to upgrade to stock LP unless you just really need the software status to say "official". I will update with a link to SkyDragon once it is released. Download link & instructions at the following link:

JasmineROM v5.0 Release [LP] [Stock] [Rooted] [Unmodified]

Well, it's been a busy few weeks for me. I've beta tested several builds of SkyDragon and now it has come to a full release by HolyAngel at XDA, completely de-bloated and fully functioning stock Lollipop, rooted & bumped! It's really a thing to behold. I believe my flash addiction to play with AOSP and Lollipop has come to an end. With a stock-based Lollipop build, everything just works, including the very nice camera. Battery life couldn't be better either; I'm getting ~5 hours SOT with auto brightness set at 55%. It's wonderful.

Anyway, here's the link: SkyDragon Lollipop Version 3.0.1. If you use it, select his kernel; it's the best thing since sliced bread. :)

Also, there is now actual root for the G3, on any variant running any OS. I haven't used it yet (haven't needed to; I've been rooted since that came out), but by all accounts I've seen it works fine. Here's how to do it.

The G3 just got even better for me. Now I can just use the thing and not have to worry about flashing every other day. While that's fun and all, it's nice to not have to do all the time. :D

Back