• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LG G3 Thoughts & First Impressions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well, two years and almost three months later, my G3 has unceremoniously bit the dust. It will not stay on for more than a few minutes, and even getting it past the splash screen requires a lot (10-15) of battery pulls and more than a few beatings. Something internally is dead, because it won't even stay in download mode for more than a few seconds before turning off again.

I am now reduced to a seven year old dumbphone, the name of which isn't even worth mentioning here. My Pixel XL was ordered December 20, but demand is so high + Google/HTC's supply is so low, that it hasn't been shipped yet. It's supposed to be here in about a week.....but it was supposed to be here January 20th, so I'm not getting my hopes up. On the plus side Verizon has offered me a free Daydream View for my annoyance, so that's good.

Anyway, RIP G3, you were a good phone. I had hoped to give you to my kid, but it's not to be. Enjoy the great smartphone recycling center in the sky.

Any chance the controller inside the battery is the cause of your trouble? Will it stay on when plugged in?
Anker replacement battery is about 10 bucks on amazon.

That sucks Hokie!! :cry:

I haven't yet flashed mine, just when the stock rom starts acting up, it resolves itself so I just leave it :-/
That said I now need a bettery pull to reboot it since it gets stuck in some loop at shutdown. Guess I mucked something up getting TWRP in there :p

Any chance the controller inside the battery is the cause of your trouble? Will it stay on when plugged in?
Anker replacement battery is about 10 bucks on amazon.

That was my first instinct. Thankfully I didn't have to waste any money. I replaced the original battery with one from PowerBear because the stock one started degrading (not significantly, it just wouldn't last as long as it used to). Regrettably it wasn't the battery. It also won't stay on when plugged in. Not a bad idea at all though!

I loved my G3, even held on to it for a few months after my contract was up. Ended up getting a decent deal on a S7. Don't miss my G3 but it was certainly a solid phone for the 2+ years I had it. I was able to get $100 on eBay for my G3 where if I held on to it until it died (or months more with it losing resale value every day), I'd have gotten nothing.

They got us by the you know whats with these phones. :p

I loved my G3, even held on to it for a few months after my contract was up. Ended up getting a decent deal on a S7. Don't miss my G3 but it was certainly a solid phone for the 2+ years I had it. I was able to get $100 on eBay for my G3 where if I held on to it until it died (or months more with it losing resale value every day), I'd have gotten nothing.

I was totally pleased with it the entire time up until it died. I flashed soooooooooo many ROMs on that thing just playing around. Hi, my name's hokie and I'm a flashaholic. I plan on curbing that significantly when the Pixel XL gets here. No need to screw around with it when it already has pure, un-bloated Android.

Speaking of, I just got a tracking number for it today!

And yet the S7 surely wasn't free (and who knows whether it'll decide to commit self-arson some day), so not sure your math works there :)

I plan on curbing that significantly when the Pixel XL gets here. No need to screw around with it when it already has pure, un-bloated Android.

Nice choice, that was a close #2.

- - - Updated - - -

And yet the S7 surely wasn't free (and who knows whether it'll decide to commit self-arson some day), so not sure your math works there :)

I wasn't bragging about my savvy spending. ;)

Back