• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FAH Control app, yeah right...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
My VM got corrupted during a Microsoft update (not related) so I rebuilt a new one with Mint 17 Cinnamon.
Got the latest v7 control & client and installed them. Well the client won't start and control can't start it either.
So much for the easy peasy 'fold in 10 minutes' promise.

I didn't select the 'start automatically' option when I first installed it. I tried to reinstall with that option so it would start as a service, but I can't get back to that menu. I just reinstalls it in the original config.

I need to get this VM folding before I turn gray on the EOC stats page lol.

Have you considered using the folding appliance that they made over at [H]? I think that will work in a VM, as it is basically Ubuntu. That does work quickly. Skip the instructions for putting the image on a hard drive and just use their image file for the VM. You'll have to change from -bigadv, but other than that, it should work. Also when you search for it, they call it the DC appliance now for distributed computing.

How do you do a change to the client to make it a service?

Code:
(Reading database ... 147686 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../fahclient_7.4.4_amd64.deb ...
usermod: no changes
Unpacking fahclient (7.4.4) over (7.4.4) ...
Setting up fahclient (7.4.4) ...
update-rc.d: warning:  start runlevel arguments (none) do not match FAHClient Default-Start values (2 3 4 5)
update-rc.d: warning:  stop runlevel arguments (none) do not match FAHClient Default-Stop values (0 1 6)
 System start/stop links for /etc/init.d/FAHClient do not exist.

The Folding@home client is now installed

You can access the Web interface by going to:

http://folding.stanford.edu/client/

in a browser on this computer.

For information about configuring the Folding@home client for 
remote access please see the comments in:

/etc/fahclient/config.xml

Processing triggers for gnome-menus (3.10.1-0ubuntu2) ...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.22-1ubuntu1) ...
Processing triggers for mime-support (3.54ubuntu1) ...
Processing triggers for ureadahead (0.100.0-16) ...

Last edited:
Not sure. I've never needed to do that. I just set it up and run it on its own computer that I don't really use for anything else.

I just got tired of messing with this and blew away the VM, Made a new one, reinstalled the client, made sure the 'always run automatically' box was checked and installed the control app. The viewer failed to get all it's dependencies and doesn't work. No big deal :rolleyes:

Now I'm folding again fwiw :shrug:

I just got tired of messing with this and blew away the VM, Made a new one, reinstalled the client, made sure the 'always run automatically' box was checked and installed the control app. The viewer failed to get all it's dependencies and doesn't work. No big deal :rolleyes:

Now I'm folding again fwiw :shrug:

Sorry it was a pain. Glad to hear you got it working though.

Not as much hassle as you've had getting your power folder going. Glad to see it running.

Back