• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

R9 290 Black screen while installing whatever driver version!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MSM88

I know there is ton of the black screen issues on the internet but I wasn't able to find a solution for my problem:

I bought an used Sapphire R9 290 Graphics card (no RMA). while I'm trying to install Catalyst Software Suite V14.9 the screen goes black and the fan goes to full rotation and I can feel that the card gets too hot by touching its side. pc freezes and needs a restart . after restarting; it post and the blue windows logo appears and then I get black screen right before entering welcome screen of windows. after that I have to use UUD: display driver uninstaller in safe mode to remove the driver and try again by installing only the driver without the ccc additional things but I get the same black screen.

the same thing happens when trying to install Catalyst V13.12c and Catalyst V13.12; I get black screen but the fan does not goes full although the card gets too hot.

I flashed the Vbios to the one found in the web page of the card L.41 and to newer version like 042 and 043 but with no luck. I also tested the card on another rig and got the same problem.

I tested my pc by another card and it works fine so I suspect that my R9 290 is faulty!

what I'm up to do is fixing the card but I don't know exactly where to start because I have this specific issue for the first time, I will start with the filtering caps before and after the metal mosfets, can anyone help me with it?

specs:
Intel i5 3570K
Gigabite GA-Z77-DS3H
OCZ ModXStream 600W
8GB G.Skill Rip Jaws

any help will be appreciated.

I suspect that your power supply is not powerful enough. Get an 80+ (xx) and get 750 watt or better. You may be able to get by with a 650 watt 80+ Gold by why upgrade to something that is technically not powerful enough? Give yourself room to grow. I would get an 850 watt in 80+ bronze or better.

I suspect that your power supply is not powerful enough. Get an 80+ (xx) and get 750 watt or better. You may be able to get by with a 650 watt 80+ Gold by why upgrade to something that is technically not powerful enough? Give yourself room to grow. I would get an 850 watt in 80+ bronze or better.

thank you very much for your reply, As I suspected that my PSU is not enough I connected an additional PSU( be quit 500W 80+ Gold) dedicated only to the two express power connections on my R9 290 card, in this case the card got power from PCIE port on the motherboard and also form the additional 500w PSU through the PciE power connections. in the end I got the exact same problem! do you think this method can eliminate the not-enough power PSU? if I'm sure that baying a higher wattage PSU will solve my problem I will go for it.

Hmm....

Seems like that should be a good test. Can you try the card in another machine?

Hmm....

Seems like that should be a good test. Can you try the card in another machine?

Let me thank you buddy for your support I really appreciate it. unfortunately I tested the card in another pc and it gave the same problem. that's why I'm almost sure that my card is faulty and I'm trying to find the bad consonants on it no matter what! but until now I didn't find a physical damage on any component!
any suggestion what component could cause the black screen and fan full when the driver starts to take control??

update!!

I tested all caps before and after the mosfets and all are good in terms of ESR and capacitance.

I wonder what could case this problem on the second that driver try to take control!!:shrug:

anybody can?

I have the same problem with an R9 290. My suspicion is that its something that came from windows update causing issues. I installed the same driver (from downloads) before. After updating I now get the black screen. Ive tried manually installing the driver with the same issue. Although, I had problems in the past where the driver package from AMD was garbage and wouldn't install right. Also, I have 14.9 installed and confirmed, but Raptr says I don't have the latest driver. So I think its windows at fault, not the card or the driver.

Its odd, I don't think the driver version it shows is the driver version I installed (This windows install isn't even 2 weeks old) One thing I haven't tried is doing it in safe mode.

Radeon.PNG

I have the same problem with an R9 290. My suspicion is that its something that came from windows update causing issues. I installed the same driver (from downloads) before. After updating I now get the black screen. Ive tried manually installing the driver with the same issue. Although, I had problems in the past where the driver package from AMD was garbage and wouldn't install right. Also, I have 14.9 installed and confirmed, but Raptr says I don't have the latest driver. So I think its windows at fault, not the card or the driver.

thank you Lucke1978 for your replay. can you describe your problem in more details because as I can see from your screenshot that you could make the R9 290 work and accept the drivers and also on top of that to overclock it!! but in my case I couldn't even make my R9 290 work with any driver version. I always get a black screen in couple of seconds after my display adapter turns from "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" into "Ati Radeon R9 200 Series"!!

Last edited:
If I try to install the display adapter, during the install process when the screen flickers black (twice, once when it clears the old driver, and once when it replaces it) It doesn't recover from the second time. Screen just stays black. And if I restart it locks up on the splash screen. Have to go into recovery and restore from a previous point.

@Niku CCC says the same driver that GPU-Z reports. When I got the 290, I did a clean uninstall of NVidia drivers, shutdown, installed card, installed GPU drivers, and restarted.

driverpkg.PNG

The Black Screen Fix Varies slightly depending on the operating system in use. Win 8 now 8.1 had problems from the time most updated to 8.1 and Win 7 had a problem after running windows update. So it is nice to know what operating system is in use.
RGone...

@Luke1978:
well it seems that we had the same exact problem except for that I get the Black screen while trying to install whatever driver version and by whatever method I use to install them including installing the driver without the ccc and installing the driver from the device manager. so as I understood you get a black screen after installing only some version but you still can use other version with on problem at all. is that right? then I'm starting to think that my problem could be really a software related where before I thought it was only hardware related!!

@RGone; so your are saying there is a chance? :) that this problem could be caused by a software? man you and Luke1978 are reviving my hope again :)
I'm facing this problem on win8.1 and I didn't tested on other os.

8.1 as well. Was able to get the 14.9 driver installed through safe mode/device manager. But resulted in lockups randomly after going back to full startup.

I have seen mnay videos of...

...of methods that just about mimic what I did. So what I write is actually what I had to do.

From Guru3D about Display Driver Uninstaller.
http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

I actually downloaded the latest version here.
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Uninstallers/Display-Driver-Uninstaller.shtml
Display Driver Uninstaller 13.5.3.0

I cannot believe the number of ways to get a Black Screen of already dead with later versions of Win 7 64 bit and also after moving from Win 8 to 8.1 as M$ forced everyone to do by April 12, 2014, I believe was the suggested date.

Things worked mostly until there was a windows update for Win 7 and many moved from Win 8 to 8.1 and then another round of the Black Screen began.

Months ago when looking for my ownself I could find much more descriptive information on what caused the problem in windows itself. Now I guess so much has come along later that I cannot find my older info links.

What seems to be the cure is to use something like Display Driver Uninstaller and/or CCleaner to remove the leftover registry problem of ATI still in the registry in a bad place.

When I was swapping between ATI and Nvidia cards I could not get the ATI driver to install correctly and seemingly never the CCC panel.

I wound up using the Display Driver Uninstaller in safe mode to uninstall the driver and leave Windows in the state AS IF I were installing a new video card and after DDU did its' work it had been told to SHUTDOWN.

After SHUTDOWN I REbooted to windows without issue of Black Screen and after having changed video cards from my Nvidia card to my ATI card. So MSM88, you are going to have to boot to windows with some working video card to fix the driver problem if that is your situation. You have to get to at least Windows safe mode to run the DDU uninstaller.

Anyway after I ran DDU in safe mode; shutdown and rebooted, I then went to the Device Manager and under Video card, I went to update driver manually and did not use the Installer/setup.exe for the WHQL 14.9 ATI driver.

I had downloaded tjhe 14.9 Driver and unzipped or unpacked it to its' own folder I knew the location. When installing manually, I said have disc and continuied to the driver unpack location and drilled down thru $_OUTDIR > Packages > Drivers > Display > WB6A_INF and Windows picked the driver setup info from there and isntalled and during the process a message came up asking did I want to install the CCC panel and went on to do that as well after it got the ATI Installer working. So thru that I finally got the full install of ATI 14.9 WHQL driver to install and the Catalyst Control Center.

Now there is one other thing that I did do after using the DDU application and shutdown change card and REboot to windows and that was I have Version 4.17 Portable of CCleaner that I did in fact use before beginning that final manual install of the 14.9 driver. I did not put this up above since the versions of CCleaner after 4.17 have some kind of bug in them where they are a pain to keep the dang application from being loaded and looking for an update all the time. So I did not give a link to CCleaner although I did use its' Registry Cleaner just before beginning the final manual isntall of the 14.9 Driver. One of the users over in the Windows O/S forum section has a download link within the forum itself for the portable 4.17 Version if you cannot find the 4.17 or earlier. I have heard that piriform was to fix the CCleaner issue but I have not tried later than 4.17V. I almost did not write this paragraph but since it "IS" the procedure I used...well I just wrote out the whole dang thing.

Hope it helps.
RGone...ster.

I tried DDU in safe mode, nice program but still blackscreens during driver install, or randomly locks up if done through device manager. Seems like its not re-initializing the card when it installs the driver itself. There are slight differences in how it blackscreens with the new beta drivers, but same problem. 13.12 installs without a hitch. Havent tried 14.4 yet.

@RGone: unfortunately I did this method before and it didn't work, however when I try to install different driver versions by device manger I get the following pattern: (this happens in both safe and normal mode)
when I try versions 13.12 and 14.9 I get error in the picture and my Display Adapter stays as "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter".
but when I try to install versions 14.7RC3 and 14.11.2beta I get a black screen in couple of seconds after my display adapter turns from "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" into "Ati Radeon R9 200 Series" when the screen does not come back from the second black flicker and the fan of m card goes full speed on bios 15.041 but on bios 15.042 and 15.044 the fan stays calm although the card gets super hot!

do you agree that this is a hardware fault or there still some hope left in software treatment?

Untitled.png

Check your harddrive with the portable non-shizuku version of Crystaldiskinfo to make sure you're not having HDD issues preventing proper driver installation:
http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskInfo/index-e.html

Other than that bad RAM could cause problems trying to load the drivers.
You can also attempt to verify that the card's BIOS isn't a weird custom mining version with GPU-Z: match the GPU BIOS version to the ones for your card model on techpowerup's GPU BIOS database.

- If it's not related to the HDD or RAM and the GPU BIOS is normal, then you probably got sold a bad card that a miner destroyed.
You should have bought one with a transferable warranty instead.

Back