• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

R9 290 Black screen while installing whatever driver version!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just remembered I have a BIOS switch! I'll have to try it.

Check your harddrive with the portable non-shizuku version of Crystaldiskinfo to make sure you're not having HDD issues preventing proper driver installation:
http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskInfo/index-e.html

Other than that bad RAM could cause problems trying to load the drivers.
You can also attempt to verify that the card's BIOS isn't a weird custom mining version with GPU-Z: match the GPU BIOS version to the ones for your card model on techpowerup's GPU BIOS database.

- If it's not related to the HDD or RAM and the GPU BIOS is normal, then you probably got sold a bad card that a miner destroyed.
You should have bought one with a transferable warranty instead.

AMD informed me of new 14.12 drivers for my R9 290. So I downloaded and installed them, which lead to the dreaded black screen. So I rebooted to the Safe mode, went to the Device Manager and rolled back the driver. All is well now but AMD is really quite incompetent.

AMD informed me of new 14.12 drivers for my R9 290. So I downloaded and installed them, which lead to the dreaded black screen. So I rebooted to the Safe mode, went to the Device Manager and rolled back the driver. All is well now but AMD is really quite incompetent.

Same here :(

Sounds like bad card. test it in another rig, if not then it might just be PSU after all. Have you checked AMP rating on 12v line?

If only bad card/bad psu. Would make it so simple, unfortunately this is an ongoing problem with Catalyst drivers. Seems to randomly affect people. And some get lucky with random fixes. Don't install the hdmi audio driver, disable a couple options in CCC, among others. Seems to affect cards with elpida ram more than others, but this problem happens ALOT. Any catalyst newer than 14.3 black screens (or freezes) for me, any thing older installs without a hitch.

If only bad card/bad psu. Would make it so simple, unfortunately this is an ongoing problem with Catalyst drivers. Seems to randomly affect people. And some get lucky with random fixes. Don't install the hdmi audio driver, disable a couple options in CCC, among others. Seems to affect cards with elpida ram more than others, but this problem happens ALOT. Any catalyst newer than 14.3 black screens (or freezes) for me, any thing older installs without a hitch.
Elpida? lol

Good thing I stick with sapphires, I think they only use Hynix.

Well my XFX R9 290 has Elpida RAM. But it runs fine with the 14.9 drivers. Only installing the 14.12s is my issue. And it has nothing to do with that MS update you're supposed to uninstall because it is not even on my system.

The glory of random is that it's random. There is a nice thread on the amd forum about it. If a 970 would pop up in the eggs promotions I'd be back on the green team. Should have kept my 770

Seems to be the most relevant thread to my issue--having the same problem. Has anyone found a sure-fire solution in the past few months?

I've currently tried everything g listen in the thread except for extracting the driver and manually installing. That or the beta 15.? Drivers are the end of my thoughts.....

Edit: I'm not having a lot of confidence in the bets drivers working but installing only the most recent driver through Windows (not the amd instsller) wasn't the trick for sure. I'll try the beta then roll back till I hit one that works I guess

Last edited:
Try A older driver to see if it works.
go back 3 -4 driver revisions and see.
I started having issues with new drivers a couple revisions back.

I would try that and see if it works.
If it continues to Blackscreen out.. then perhaps faulty card.

Try A older driver to see if it works.
go back 3 -4 driver revisions and see.
I started having issues with new drivers a couple revisions back.

I would try that and see if it works.
If it continues to Blackscreen out.. then perhaps faulty card.

Will do :) faulty card isn't off the table but my gut says.... Maybe not. I've tried several different versions from different places and gotten better black screen ( with the newest my monitor gets bored and goes to sleep, the oldest I tried Flashed an ugly pixels two screen before going black) but I run into "drivers aren't for your os" (paraphrased ).

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...nstallation-(what-s-the-best-way-to-do-this-) Card could be borked, cuz I did screw up with the conductive thermal paste but when cleaned it off there was light, so to speak. Thanks for replying, I was just hoping for a magic solution as it seems this is a widespread problem.

If the card posts fine , you may also want to try and flash the 2ndary bios to something else.

If the card posts fine , you may also want to try and flash the 2ndary bios to something else.
I was going to try bios, but honestly I don't think it will be as simple as for the mobo. Are you saying these things carry a recovery bios in addition to a main?

Same issue, Fixed mine

Hello everyone, like many of you I had been dealing with this issue for a long time thinking it was caused by some software issue like driver or windows. Just that I have an R9 270 instead of a 290. I was able to fix the card by putting it in my kitchen oven for 8 minutes at 385 degrees Fahrenheit. I removed the dust from the components using 70% isopropyl alcohol with some Q-tips and then I unscrewed all the stuff from the card that could melt, n removed the thermal grease. Then I rolled up some aluminum balls and put them on a tray and the card on top of it. Afterward applied new thermal grease and reconstructed n installed. Its been working perfectly for a whole day, I'll report back here in case it screws up again.

Back