• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

drain water ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

anarchoi

Registered
I built my first closed loop WC around 3 years ago. I was a noob and i didnt really thought about adding a valve to drain the water.

Now i need to empty the loop to change the video card and i don't know where to start... How can i make sure that there is no water left in the loop ?

I tried 2 times to change the water in the loop to do some maintenance but everytime there was like half of the water that stays in the loop

Any ideas how i can safely drain the water from my loop and change the video card ?
Here's a picture of the WC loop right now:

wc.jpg

Remove PSU, remove plugs from GPU block and drain liquid in container. I don`t have drain valve either and i drain it straight from res(tube mounted on case). I don`t see why it would not work.

i thought you had to let the pump run to drain the water ?

last time i tried most of the water was stuck in the res on the top :(

i thought you had to let the pump run to drain the water ?

last time i tried most of the water was stuck in the res on the top :(

Oh no. Don't run the pump at all when you're draining. You're most likely running it dry and killing it. Turn everything down and unplug. Use gravity to assist you in draining. I can see if you possibly move the PSU out and maybe use a quarter to turn one of them plugs, you might be able to drain from there into a small bucket underneath it while having towels on the surroundings. Next time you put it together, rearrange the loop and add a drainage to it. It will make your life a lot easier. I sure know it did to mine.

I do not have a drain on mine and I have drained and refilled it five times just this past week (new hoses, changing loop order, changing ports, etc). Your rad is 3x larger than mine (I have a 120, just CPU loop) but I just unscrew the RAD from the case, plop it in a bucket and pull a hose off. That will get about 90% of the water out of the system.
I really need to add a drain though..

As GTXJackBauer mentioned, gravity is your friend. I do not utilize a drain hose/plug in my setup and have had no issues draining.

I dont use a drain line either. I just remove cpu block and gpu which is quick and allows me to hang them both outside the case, and then take fitting off cpu, then it drains. Though usually I have to unscrew fillport on top of my reservoir to allow air in, so it will fully drain, plus tilt the case.

But no question using a drain line would make it easier.

I am really contemplating adding a drain and a fill to my set up though, just to make it easier with less hose strain.

Back