• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Adding Another SSD into Raid0 with Windows 7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bkngo

Registered
Hi Guys,

I used the search function and I have read through the sticky forums and I did not find my answer yet. I searched Google and YouTube and it only addresses how to add another SSD into Raid0 from a clean install.

I have an existing SSD as my primary drive and I want to increase storage capacity by adding another (same brand, model, and size) SSD in Raid 0 without having to erase my existing drive or take unnecessary processes. Is it as simple as installing the new SSD and then change the setting in the bios to Raid0? I have an abundant of games and programs saved in two different drives that I may have to uninstall if installing the new SSD and changing the bios does not apply.

Alternatively, I theorized that if that did not work I can run Acronis to copy my existing SSD drive into an external HDD, format my current SSD, install the new SSD, change the bios to RAID0, use the cloned HDD as the boot to start the computer, use Acronis to clone the HDD to the RAID0, restart the computer again, change the bios to boot from the RAID0, and start from bios. I can then format the HDD and use it as another storage device.

I successfully cloned my HDD to my SSD in the past and it seems to validate my theory. What do you all think?

Thanks for reading...

Welcome to OCF ! :welcome:

You're on the right path, thought-wise. Don't attempt to RAID0 by simply adding a new SSD and issuing the command 'all ahead full' to your PC. You'll not like the result. Version 2, the one where you copy all data to a spinner, install 2 identical SSDs in RAID0, then clone back from the HDD will be the method that gives you cleaner, worry-free laundry.

So, I cloned the SSD to the HDD. Format the SSD. Uninstall the HDD. Install the new SSD. Changed the bios to RAID. Setup RAID0. restarted. reinstall the HDD as boot driver in bios. now computer start but get bsod unless I change it back to ACHI mode in bios. when Im in the corsair toolbox it shows both SSD separately, but when I'm in the RAID0 configuration it is a single drive. should I clone the hdd to one of the ssd. restart. change the bios to raid0 boot from corsair ssd and uninstall/disable the hdd?

You likely need to install the raid drivers in windows while in AHCI mode probably to avoid the BSOD.

You will have to clone the image over to the two drives while they are in RAID0 (single volume) in order for it to work.

Have you considered just getting more RAM and creating a RAMdisk?

RAIDing SSDs I dont see much of the use unless your with big storage and transfering LOTS of large huge files.

Single SSD with RAMdisk should make system blaze. Just cache all the crap to the RAMdisk simple as that.

You likely need to install the raid drivers in windows while in AHCI mode probably to avoid the BSOD.

You will have to clone the image over to the two drives while they are in RAID0 (single volume) in order for it to work.

Spot on. Cloned O/S with no raid drivers to two drives in raid mode is always a no go. Also a no go if there is a single drive from an AHCI setting changed to Raid mode without raid drivers even into the O/S on the single AHCI drive.
RGone...

Great I will try after work thanks for all of your suggestions.

Would clonezilla allow cloning to RAID? Thats what I use for cloning, lin based and free, way better then acronic crap if you ask me.

I've only used Clonezilla once or twice over the years. I started using Acronis back in like 2009 and have been using it ever since. I can usually find it for under $20 when I feel like upgrading to a newer version.

Doing a little checking, I've read where some people have had luck with Raid0 using Clonezilla, so it may very well work. What motherboard are you using by the way?

I've only used Clonezilla once or twice over the years. I started using Acronis back in like 2009 and have been using it ever since. I can usually find it for under $20 when I feel like upgrading to a newer version.

Doing a little checking, I've read where some people have had luck with Raid0 using Clonezilla, so it may very well work. What motherboard are you using by the way?

RIght now a fatality killer but its defective, I had a previous one a few months ago which was great, not best ocer due to no LLC, but the sound and NIC are amazing for 100 dollar board. This new one has issues changing vcore even without LLC it should be accurate. Its stable though. Already requested RMA refund. ORdered a Crosshair V, now that I will have fun with. Wish I didnt get rid of my xigmatek darknight II hsf, those things are extinct now. Unless I think they rebranded them, EVGA is selling a cooler that looks pretty much same and has same screws and attachment fittings. Just ordered it.

If its as good as the xig Ill take it any day over any closed loop water. Temps never went above 52 even under 100% load on 8350

Btw 20 bucks for acronis? Pffft clonezilla is free!!
I tried acronis once not even in RAID and it screwed everything up. It was pretty fast though. But hey with clonezilla you can do fast or slow file compression for size. I friggen love clonezilla. Not as easy to use but hey if your not a total Lin n00b you can handle it.

I tried Acronis, Reflect, and the Corsair Toolbox. Nothing work so far... After 2 days of working on it I decided to go back to a SSD for OS, the second SSD for games/videos storage, and Velociraptor for music/pics... In addition, I created a ramdisk drive like a member suggested and I am happy so far... Thanks for all of the inputs!

I think your problem was you never go the Raid drivers installed.

I tried Acronis, Reflect, and the Corsair Toolbox. Nothing work so far... After 2 days of working on it I decided to go back to a SSD for OS, the second SSD for games/videos storage, and Velociraptor for music/pics... In addition, I created a ramdisk drive like a member suggested and I am happy so far... Thanks for all of the inputs!

Give clonezilla a try

http://clonezilla.org/

Just a boot cd you burn to disk. Not hard to use at all, not pretty like the ones you mention, looks like DOS or old unix interface but works wonders and its free. Give it a try.

I actually like the current setup now... does it job. I use the spare SSD for my newest games. I have about 35GB on my SSD with my OS and 30GB to spare for the new SSD storage drive.

Actually you'll like having the disks as 2 separate drives. While its nice, as I use to do Raid0 on 80Gig and 120Gig drives, its just that much better having actually two drives that I can fully utilize for the speed. Either copying between them or archiving on one or the other. So much quicker than traditional HDD. As well as quicker boot times, and better TRIM functions.

I've upgraded over the years but in my main PC... I only run SSD's. No HDD's are active unless I'm needing a lot more storage space or backing up. Its very nice that way. Now if I can only make my fans quieter and still keeping my rig cool :)

Though if you really want to do it... yes you have to load the drivers, and its a PITA after the fact of installing the OS. I've tried it before and it took a few hours to get it to recognize. It would of been just easier to reinstall at that point.

i agree... maybe when windows 9 is available I will do a clean install lol... windows 8.1 is garbage from reviews

8.1 is really not a bad OS, even if you don't like the metro interface you can use ClassicShell to bring back the goodness that is the start menu. Overall the OS is faster than 7 and less of a resource hog.

You will also be looking for Windows 10, M$ skipped 9.

Back