• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Zalman ZM 750W XG GoldRock '80 Plus Gold'

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gin

Hi all, have been a while since the last time I wrote here.
I used to O.C my FX-8350 a bit and got a lot of help from this great community.
Thing is my old and current Cooler Master GX550W first series, is starting to feel the pain of a year and half of 4,675 soft O.C on the CPU, GPU is also overclocked. And even want to start overclocking my rams for the first time since I bought them. So I'd to give them a little bump to their voltages, but it's kinda impossible now since with the above safe O.C my PSU is starting to fail at running the system smooth.
I live outside USA and Europe, so here I have limited picks unless I decide as a second option to get a VISA or whatever to shop online and get stuff from outside. Since I'm running first option here, the one I think is the best for the price compared to what I can buy here would be the already named " Zalman ZM 750W XG GoldRock '80 Plus Gold' "
I did search on the pinned thread "PSU Review database" But links were dead for this one, did search a bit over the web and got this review in russian "I believe it is russian may be wrong", translated it and found it shows decent performance. Could I have at least bit of room to O.C a FX-8350 and a future R280 or GTX970 while running this PSU?

Here's the review, I wanted to share so anyone could support it or complain about being inaccurate / fake.

http://www.easycom.com.ua/power/zalman_zm750-xg/?lang=ru

Thank you all in advance!

Pretty sure that PSU is made by Enhance, they make quality Psu's so you shouldn't have an issue with it. On ambient cooling a quality 750w Psu will give you plenty of headroom to Oc the 8350 and the Gpu of your choice. Note that the new GTX 970 will draw a lot less power then any of the AMD counterparts.

Pretty sure that PSU is made by Enhance, they make quality Psu's so you shouldn't have an issue with it. On ambient cooling a quality 750w Psu will give you plenty of headroom to Oc the 8350 and the Gpu of your choice. Note that the new GTX 970 will draw a lot less power then any of the AMD counterparts.

Thank you, I've had also read that this PSU was made by a decent company. I think I'll just go and grabb it, since the only second pick I have is this one: XFX ProSeries Core Edition P1650SNLB9 650W 80Plus Bronze.

The XFX Pro series is made by Seasonic and is also a quality unit. It will run the 8350 and a Gpu fine as long as you aren't going to pushing both to extremes and benchmarking them. When I say to extremes I mean cpu over 5.2 and the Gpu as Oced as you can get it. I ran a Seasonic X 650 in my Fx 8350 rig without issue, it was only when I really started doing extreme overclocking that I was hitting the limit on it.

The XFX Pro series is made by Seasonic and is also a quality unit. It will run the 8350 and a Gpu fine as long as you aren't going to pushing both to extremes and benchmarking them. When I say to extremes I mean cpu over 5.2 and the Gpu as Oced as you can get it. I ran a Seasonic X 650 in my Fx 8350 rig without issue, it was only when I really started doing extreme overclocking that I was hitting the limit on it.

I plan to get near 4,8-4,9 if my temps are low. The thing is I read that the Zalman I noted in this thread should provide 650W constant and stable @40-C. That should be enough I guess?

EDIT it does provide more than 700W , the 650W was a translate error according to tech support from Zalman.

Last edited:
On the 8350 it will be tough to get near 4.8-4.9 on ambient Air, unless you have a low leakage chip. I run 4.7 daily on a full custom loop for two reasons. The voltage needed on my chip to run even 4.8 was a significant amount and the heat generated is just silly. I have my setup stable up to 5.1 on this cooling but choose not to run it there daily because of the heat and voltage needed. The only times I had issues with my X 650 was when I was really pushing for benching. On Air it's unlikely you'll be able to get the Cpu over 5.2 with reasonable temps to do so, so if that isn't a goal you will have no issues with the 650w you chose.

On the 8350 it will be tough to get near 4.8-4.9 on ambient Air, unless you have a low leakage chip. I run 4.7 daily on a full custom loop for two reasons. The voltage needed on my chip to run even 4.8 was a significant amount and the heat generated is just silly. I have my setup stable up to 5.1 on this cooling but choose not to run it there daily because of the heat and voltage needed. The only times I had issues with my X 650 was when I was really pushing for benching. On Air it's unlikely you'll be able to get the Cpu over 5.2 with reasonable temps to do so, so if that isn't a goal you will have no issues with the 650w you chose.

EDIT: It actually delivers more than 700W constant under 40ºC heavy load, the 650W was a translation error explained to me Zalman tech support by mail. I should be fine for O.C under air cooling. Just as a tip, I run mine at 1.375 stable at 4.4750mhz sometimes it will pump ti 1.405 due to voltage calibration line set to very high. But this chip on default used to bump 1.4x when turbo core was working as default, so I think I have room to go up to 1.465 -1.475 as safe, if of course temps don't pass 70ºC on both CPU and core, read that AMD FX series works with acceptable accurate temps report from 40º+C. Mine hits 51 on both CPU and cores while prime95 / 1:30 hour. It seems that my current Power Supply generates extra heat for some reason, may be lack of Amperage or fail to deliver adecuate voltages, since I tried my cousin Thermaltake 850W psu and it was way cooler at same voltages....

PD: Any tips on Ocing my mems? should I go raw 8-8-8-24 t1 or go for the MHZ instead? ty, 1.65V would be safe for them?

Last edited:
If the stick will do 8-8-8 then yes run them there, my Ripjaw 1600's with stock 9-9-9 timings will do 9-10-9 at 1866 I've never tried them at CL 8 nor above 1900 Mhz. For every day use you're not going to see much of a difference running them OCed. It's really only when benching does it become apparent. I have a couple of really good benching sticks that I use if I want to run high Mhz or really tight timings.

Ready to /close thread. Just installed the new arrived Zalman and it's working great. The system runs not only smoother but even faster at heavy loads. Ty for all the info shared here by Mandrake :D!

Ready to /close thread. Just installed the new arrived Zalman and it's working great. The system runs not only smoother but even faster at heavy loads. Ty for all the info shared here by Mandrake :D!

Seems the last thing people consider is a very good power supply. I have a close friend that I told for at least a year that if would ditch his garbage 1KW supply and get a good one his system would love him. Only change he finally made was to a g00d power supply and he wrote and said his stable overclock was now 100Mhz higher. No change but to a g00d power supply and it only an 850W replacing his wonky 1kW.

When I see someone writing about what can I buy 'cheap', I seldom even look at the thread again since it is going to windup with cheap results. Hehehe. Inexpesive now is different or best results I can get for monies spent...well that is not cheap.

Good deal on your power supply upgrade and continued good success.
RGone...

PS: Yes "manny" knows about some shett and seldom hands out BS (I have never seen any). Hehehe.

Back