• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Idea for Peltier Radiator

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DRaZZ

I have had an idea for a TEC cooled radiator for years, I have never attempted to work out the level of cooling it could offer nor have i had a milling machine and been able to attempt to build it. I have a very simple unfinished sketch to give an idea of the concept and im just putting it out there for peoples opinions on this idea.
Im thinking that with a Rheostat, this could offer ambient and slightly below ambient cooling if the peltier installed was powerful enough. It could also be a space saver over large radiators and offer lower noise levels.
The idea is the peltier sits inside a copper block that has water flowing through being cooled by the peltier. The top of the block would be a heatsink for the peltier and would obviously have to have an insulating gasket to stop heat transfering to the cold side. I have never given this idea much thought and i dont pretend to have much of a clue about this but is this idea viable?

Attachments

• Peltier radiator.jpg
    Peltier radiator.jpg
    961.1 KB · Views: 170
TEC's are very inefficient, and require a separate high power, high current power supply. I put together a system with 6 TEC's, and saw little benefit to doing so. I just used universal gpu blocks, and intel stock heatsinks. It worked fairly well, but there were a few issues.

1. Any source of ambient temperatures that is not insulate will be fighting your attempts at going sub ambient.
2. High cost. Take whatever you envisioned it costing to make happen and triple it to start.
3. No real benefit over regular water cooling.
4. Added heat generated inside the case.
5. General unreliability of TEC's (they die often) adding to the expense of operating.
6. Real potential for condensation, and potential damage.

Now don't let me go and stop you, but there are many more drawbacks than there are positives. It "looks good on paper", but in reality it just is not worth the hassle. They do make TEC blocks that can be had on ebay, but they are aluminum adding another potential problem to the mix. These are just my thoughts though, so take them *** you will.

ditto what gregmacknass said. I've been there done that and the higher cost of powering a tec added to the extra heat they generate 9i.e. the cooler you keep the hot side the colder the cold side gets) makes them a thing of the past. Way Way more efficient running todays current rads and staying at over ambient back when tecs were popular there was not very many if any really efficient rads out there to be had, and those that were good cost ya an arm, leg and part of your manhood.

To be honest i thought a few of those things myself, with regards to condensation especially, iv never worked with tecs so that was the bit i needed info on. Ah well, was just an idea :)

Back