• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM timings on H97

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ninjacore

Just grabbed a 4690K and Asrock H97M Pro4 from Microcenter. Seems solid enough and I can OC the CPU, but one thing I overlooked was that the board limits ram frequency to 1600Mhz.

I only paid $4 more for 2133Mhz modules over 1600, so it isn't a huge deal if I can only run them at the lower speed, but I was wondering if I would be able to decrease the timings on them at 1600 in lieu of 2133?

Anyone give this a try yet on H97 and have success?

Thanks

It works the same as on any other platform. DDR3 at 1600 should work at about 7-8-8, 8-8-8. 8-9-9 or 9-9-9 1.50-1.65V. All depends what IC you have there. Command Rate 1N should work without issues.

Somehow managed to corrupt my windows boot sector while fiddling with this. Ugh.

Good to know. I'll make an image of the fresh install this time in case it happens again while I'm trying to get them right. :thup:

That's a good idea.
Any time you're messing with a memory overclock it can very easily bork the install. It's because the RAM crashes out, so the OS gets dumped back corrupted.

Having no luck with this. Picked up a set of 1600Mhz with C7 timings, thinking I could get around the 1600Mhz limit on the H97 series by going with lower timings. No dice.

Just as was the case with the 2133 C9s, the speed defaulted to 1333. Timings are at least better for whatever reason (C10 or 11 with the 2133s, 9-9-9-24-1T with the 1600s).

It won't boot at all with anything other than "Auto" for the RAM speed and timings. If I set the freq to 1600, no boot. If I modify the RAM timings to the XMP values, no boot.

This board seems quite finicky in the RAM department. I'll have a 1600/C9 set on hand in a few days. That'll be my last ditch effort, I guess.

Having no luck with this. Picked up a set of 1600Mhz with C7 timings, thinking I could get around the 1600Mhz limit on the H97 series by going with lower timings. No dice.

Just as was the case with the 2133 C9s, the speed defaulted to 1333. Timings are at least better for whatever reason (C10 or 11 with the 2133s, 9-9-9-24-1T with the 1600s).

It won't boot at all with anything other than "Auto" for the RAM speed and timings. If I set the freq to 1600, no boot. If I modify the RAM timings to the XMP values, no boot.

This board seems quite finicky in the RAM department. I'll have a 1600/C9 set on hand in a few days. That'll be my last ditch effort, I guess.

That's what I'd be doing at this point if I were you.

I find your patience commendable. You have more of it than I do.

Yea I'm a little bummed. I figured I'd at least be able to set them manually to 1600 c9, but no go.

Finally got around to trying a 1600/C9 kit. 2x4GB Corsair XMS3 1600 C9

Loaded the XMP profile in BIOS and ... drumroll ... success! Booted just fine and CPU-z is showing the modules as running at their rated speeds.

So it looks like, with this H97 board at least, 1600Mhz C9 is the best you're going to do. Faster RAM can't even be set to those speeds manually and 1600 kits with lower timings won't work either. Just go for plain old 1600/C9 and call it a day.

Back