• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E-cigarette bad for digital health, infects computer with virus

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sigh you know the idea had occured tome not to plug in the friggen ecig **** to my USB ports. I hope I dont got infection. Ill bet these are nasty firmware rootkits too that phone home.

I was using Blu e cigs and then a tank system called EVOD. Now im worried.

What brand is the article talking about? In any case yeah wall charger time for them.

Now that I think about it what about cell phones? Would sammy put **** on your rig? Sometimes I charge my phone with USB cord as well as transfer music file to the phone. lol I cant even find my phone charger anymore I just use the same USB cable as the e cig, it works fine, UniversalSB

I don't buy it. I've never seen an E-cig with a data cable. Sketchy article not explaining anything either. Doesn't even mention the e-cig brand.

I don't buy it. I've never seen an E-cig with a data cable. Sketchy article not explaining anything either. Doesn't even mention the e-cig brand.

Most e cigs have data cables. The wall chargers are nothing but prongs with a usb female hole for a data cable. In fact the new Blu Plus charger packs use USB to mini USB and get this they have a firmware in the pack which you can update... But at 15 bucks for 3 cartriges even though they are good and greatly improved they are too expensive for me. Thats why I switched to the water loop version of ecigs, TANKS. Just buy battery tank and juice. THats it, every month you spend 10 bucks on a bottle of juice to refil and you can save a lot of money.

Just orderred VEA ecigs, from Johnson Creek, they make the juice for Blu which is my fav taste. Cheap and seem very good quality after the reviews I read. But I dont think Ill be pluging that in to rig either..... Just wall

It likely is along the lines of an evil undetectable virus incerted in the USB brain of the cable. Along the lines of the following....

If you haven't turned off USB autoplay on your PC, it's conceivable that plugging in an infected USB drive could install malware on your system. The engineers whose uranium-purifying centrifuges were blown up by Stuxnet learned that the hard way. It turns out, though, that autoplay malware isn't the only way USB devices can be weaponized. At the Black Hat 2014 conference, two researchers from Berlin-based SRLabs revealed a technique for modifying a USB device's controller chip so it can "spoof various other device types in order to take control of a computer, exfiltrate data, or spy on the user." That sounds kind of bad, but in fact it's really, really dreadful.

http://securitywatch.pcmag.com/hacking/326196-an-evil-usb-drive-could-take-over-your-pc-undetectably

It likely is along the lines of an evil undetectable virus incerted in the USB brain of the cable. Along the lines of the following....

If you haven't turned off USB autoplay on your PC, it's conceivable that plugging in an infected USB drive could install malware on your system. The engineers whose uranium-purifying centrifuges were blown up by Stuxnet learned that the hard way. It turns out, though, that autoplay malware isn't the only way USB devices can be weaponized. At the Black Hat 2014 conference, two researchers from Berlin-based SRLabs revealed a technique for modifying a USB device's controller chip so it can "spoof various other device types in order to take control of a computer, exfiltrate data, or spy on the user." That sounds kind of bad, but in fact it's really, really dreadful.

http://securitywatch.pcmag.com/hacking/326196-an-evil-usb-drive-could-take-over-your-pc-undetectably

Thank you, I get called conspiracy theorist when talking about these things, nice to see someone else mention it.
DOnt forget they can infect the firmware of the USB stick itself which wont matter if autoplay ison

Most e cigs have data cables. The wall chargers are nothing but prongs with a usb female hole for a data cable. In fact the new Blu Plus charger packs use USB to mini USB and get this they have a firmware in the pack which you can update... But at 15 bucks for 3 cartriges even though they are good and greatly improved they are too expensive for me. Thats why I switched to the water loop version of ecigs, TANKS. Just buy battery tank and juice. THats it, every month you spend 10 bucks on a bottle of juice to refil and you can save a lot of money.

Just orderred VEA ecigs, from Johnson Creek, they make the juice for Blu which is my fav taste. Cheap and seem very good quality after the reviews I read. But I dont think Ill be pluging that in to rig either..... Just wall

They arent data cables. Most of the cheaper USB cables are charge only, i.e. only 2 wires in it.

They arent data cables. Most of the cheaper USB cables are charge only, i.e. only 2 wires in it.

Not blus. Its a data cable cause it has to update firmware on the pack charger. I used it to transfer 1gb of music to phone so yes its data

Interesting, wasn't aware of that, sorry! And yes, any one attempting any malice would obviously include a data cable. I've seen a few of these e cigs floating around, people plug em in at work with no problems.

Back