• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Western Digital or Seagate?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cezar

WD and Seagate produce very similar drives. You can find different sizes 500-4000GB; different speads 5400-7200; different sizes of cach. Lets pick two similar products, say HDD 1TB, 7200RPM, 64md cach. Which drive will be a better choice considering failure rate, noise amount, and some other factors that I might not know about?

WD. Seagate drives lately have been having a terrible track record. Though currently, HGST beats them both by a wide margin.

Which ironically is now owned by Western Digital.

So just think of it like Toyota and Lexus, lol. Toyota has been ranking #2 in reliability according to JD Power for what, 3 years now? Who is #1 for the same 3 years? Lexus.... Who is the Lexus parent company? Toyota, lol.

I'm just going to jump in and also say that Seagate is one of the worst companies in hardware, and their products are garbage.

Yup stay away from Seagate. There's a reason a 4TB drive from them can be had for well under $100. WD blacks are the best on the market, though any of their stuff is good.

I'm just going to jump in and also say that Seagate is one of the worst companies in hardware, and their products are garbage.

And I find that unfortunate. Not so long ago they were top of the heap. I recall talking to an enterprise RAID vendor a few years (decades? ;) ) back who standardized on Barracudas for their equipment. And that was back when the Barracuda name meant something and wasn't just a label that Seagate put on all of their drives.

And I find that unfortunate. Not so long ago they were top of the heap. I recall talking to an enterprise RAID vendor a few years (decades? ;) ) back who standardized on Barracudas for their equipment. And that was back when the Barracuda name meant something and wasn't just a label that Seagate put on all of their drives.

That was before they purchased Maxtor and went off the freaking deep end.

Thank you for proving my guesses. I got HDD 1TB WD Blue for $50.

I have a mix of WD/HGST & Seagate - So far so good on all of them.
However one thing that worries me with newer Seagate drive purchases is they're warranty seems to have changed from ~3-5 years to ~1-2years on a lot of their consumer based drives.
I bought a 6TB drive to test out, i think it only had a year or 2 year warranty according to retail packaging.

I haven't used the Blue series in a while, generally stick with the Black series. let us know how the blue works out I'm in the market for some high capacity drives

Seagate was good 10 years ago, now products are not as good imho.
WD all the way now
FOr SSDs, Sammy or kingston

Back