• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem with GTX670 OR Psu need help.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ultramirage

Registered
Hi!
i got a new psu (3 monthes old now) and since then im getting a "Anti surge" message sometimes...
now.. when i play a game, the pc crashes after 5-10 mins...
now.. when i remove the gpu and use the onboard one, the pc is stable, but when i put in the gpu sometimes it crashes...
now i cant decide, if its a psu problem or a gpu problem...
sometimes the pc crashes when in idle...
the problems never happend before i got the new psu, so im like 70% sure the problem is in the psu but i need help maybe some1 know or can help me identify where the problem is coming from..
Please help and thank you for your help.

Ultramirage, welcome to the forum. Please be more specific about the components being used, brands and model numbers of them. Cpu/Motherboard Ram PSU GPU etc...

CPU: I7 3770k
RAM: 16GB 1600Mhz G.skill Ares
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-M Pro
Power supply: Seasonic M12 II EVO edition 750W Bronze.
Gpu: Geforce GTX 670 Windforce.

the message that im getting after few seconds of gaming is:
"
Power Supply surges detected during the previous power on.
ASUS Anti-Surge was triggered to protect system from unstable power supply unit"
now... the PSU is new... i have it only 3 for 3 months..
Debugs that i've tried:
1.Updated my bios - didnt work.
2.Disable Anti-Surge function in bios - didnt fix the problem, just crash the pc without the message listed above.
3.tired to plug the connectors without cable managment+checked if everything is plugged correctly - didn't work.
4. moved the GPU 1 slot down - worked for a week but then the problem came back.
5. uninstalled all the drivers and downloaded the new drivers - didn't work.
6. uninstalled the gpu - working perfectly without any crash...
now what do you think guys?
Sorry for the delay couldnt find time to log in here...
BTW - sorry for my bad ENG :p

What PSU did you have before the Seasonic?, and why did you replace it?

Im not sure because it worked kinda perfectly right after i updated the Bios...
and i tried to see if i run the fans at 100% if the pc will crash and it didnt...
but you can be right because the pc is not shutting off when the GPU is not installed...
well.. before im gonna spend 500$ on a new gpu, how sure are you? :p
thank you for replying so fast Scott :p

*AND, on idle it runs perfect...*

Fairly certain. Your damage may not be limited to just the vid card either, but that's where I'd start.
When sub standard PSU's explode, they tend to take much stuff with them. It's probably the worst disaster that can happen.

Is there a way for you to try the card in another system first?

oh my god...
but why at idle it works ok?... if theres a dmg dont you think it wouldnt work at all?..

Sometimes it's just that way.
Fine until you load the machine up a little then crash's.
Depend's on the amount of damage incurred.

Don't take just my word for it. Wait for a couple more responses, but I think you'll find most will probably agree.

out of warranty... xD ill do both, replace the vid card plus RMA the PSU... got nothing to lose... i hope its not the motherboard.. xD

Mr. Scott is spot on. Your psu is most likely fine, and the gpu was damaged. When you install your new gpu, make sure the power supply is unplugged.

Ok, i bought a GTX 970 g1 gaming.. and for the past 1 hour the pc is not crashing, ill leave the game open for the whole night and in morning ill give you guys the update, so far you've been amazing guys thanks! :p

Back