• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Working on a server...What hard drives should i go with?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TransformedBG

Honestly im not looking to spend a crap load just looking for about 4 1 or 2 TB drives... I picked up a perc5 and im planning on running raid 5. Im thinking i need enterprise drives but im not sure..

There was an article over on BackBlaze from the person(s) who runs the servers, and according to them the increased cost of "enterprise" drives were simply not worth the premium over consumer drives. Keeping in mind, they run 17,000+ hard drives.

I'll see if I can find it and post back with it.

Since you are running a RAID card, grab Western Digital Reds. Don't run Green/Blue/Black/etc unless you like headaches.

If you don't mind spending a bit more for Hitachi, they do very well when it comes to reliability.

i been running 3x 1tb hitachi drives in my server, in the process of upgrading to 3x 2tb hitachi drives. the 3x1 i bought a while back used, and im pretty sure the PO (thideras) bought them used. still going strong.

yeah i keep reading about the reds failing..
I read quite a few reports on it, as well, and the common factor seemed to not be the drives themselves, but Newegg's horrible packaging. Western digital added an option during the RMA to find out what vendor you bought it from, it was getting so bad. I trust the drives enough that I'm running them in my server now.

i been running 3x 1tb hitachi drives in my server, in the process of upgrading to 3x 2tb hitachi drives. the 3x1 i bought a while back used, and im pretty sure the PO (thideras) bought them used. still going strong.

which hatachi?

Hitachi HDT721010SLA360 are what i have now, no idea on the ones i bought they arent hooked up yet.

I'm running hitachi blacks and seagates (don't recall model atm)

Whatever you do...avoid 'green' drives. Also don't bother with 1TB drives as you'll run out of bays real quick (unless you're running one of the awesome norco cases)...go 2TB minimum.

To clarify, Green, Blue, or Black will have the same TLER issues. Stick to enterprise or Red if you go with Western Digital.

Since you are running a RAID card, grab Western Digital Reds. Don't run Green/Blue/Black/etc unless you like headaches.

If you don't mind spending a bit more for Hitachi, they do very well when it comes to reliability.

Over on the freenas forum, there are people that run the greens with great results, but you just have to disable the intellipark feature with wdidle3.
But that won't matter if you're going to run hardware raid, you'd need a drive with TLER like already mentioned above.

Over on the freenas forum, there are people that run the greens with great results, but you just have to disable the intellipark feature with wdidle3.
But that won't matter if you're going to run hardware raid, you'd need a drive with TLER like already mentioned above.
He is running hardware RAID, which has issues with the TLER feature and is not related to Intellipark at all. Software RAID generally does not have an issue with TLER, which is what FreeNAS is running.

I'd go with Reds, personally.
My 4x2TB RAID5 of them has been flawless on a PERC 6/I.

Agreed on the issues being packaging and not the drives themselves.
Mine arrived in a "new" style of packaging, I wouldn't worry about that issue any more.

After past problems with both Seagate and WD I'm also running Hitachi drives in my file server now - HDS5C3020ALA632

Back