• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yep, what trents pointed out is good, my lists were quick mockups to get a bearing on price with a budget "gaming" card. The AMD setup would be vastly stronger than the Intel one I posted, and with the addition of a stronger vid card like the one trents mentioned, you should have an overall good experience in majority of titles.

As for Photoshop, Photoshop is still available as standalone for it's regular $699 price.
http://www.adobe.com/products/catal...sl_catalog_sl_software_sl_creativesuite6.html

Yes, that's what I recommend. Yes, there are alternatives to Photoshop. Look at Corel's stuff. Pretty equivalent.

I know this is a little far, but can someone add that piece to the parts list? I'd appreciate it so I can see exactly what I need

Oh Lordy. I didn't that right.... I meant all of the parts for the PC.... Also, would this handle games such as Far Cry 4 or Skyrim? (with no online playing)

Far cry 4 and skyrim are VERYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY different animals boss. Skyrim? easily. FC4? On low to medium perhaps.

There are parts of FC4 that are choppy for me and I have a 980. Don't expect miracles. All Ubisoft console ports are horribly optimized on PC. I hate that company. Skyrim will FLY on even mid range hardware as it is well coded.

Alright. I really enjoy the minecraft modpacks because it's easy enough for the players to make their own. So those 2 really aren't a necessary. So, last request, can someone make the AMD finalized parts list? You guys are the real MVP

And that's what you recommend?

Also, I wasn't aware Photoshop is $20/month now...... Are there any alternatives?

Gimp (Free)

Corel's Paintshop Pro X7 ($30)

Adobe's Photoshop Elements ($56)

I would recommend Corel and Adobe. GIMP is free, but steep learning curve, like PS.
Paintshop Pro and Elements are easier and will do everything you want.

If you're stuck on full-blown Photoshop, you can just buy CS6 for $300+ on eBay.
You aren't stuck in the new subscription service.

I'm not stuck on Photoshop, just wanted something of the sorts. Glad to see there's a cheaper one!

I don't wanna change the price if it is just for one little thing.... Just forget the FC4 thing. So all I need to do is change the video card and power supply to what Trent's suggested? And then that's the build I need?

Last edited:
You can build on a B85 board and in i5 4460 for less money and get better gaming performance.

Switch to ASRock B85 Anniversary and i5 4460. No heatsink required.

If you stay AMD get a hyper 212. But I don't suggest you stay AMD.

Yeah, I like that build as well. Some good compromises there that should still produce a reasonably potent system. You can always upgrade to an SSD later if you want or a better GPU as necessary. But the core components are solid for the time being.

Verstrata, once you reach 100 posts then you have access to the forum Classified section. There are some great buys on used video cards right now in that section.

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely not. I personally did away with the extra non-sense that was and I have an external in a drawer in the rare case of needing one. I haven't used an optical drive in 4years or so, I don't see the point.

Back