• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need a cheap MB for 4670k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kr7777

Last edited:
You need a Z97 board. Ideally a midrange board like an ASRock extreme 4, an ASUS Z97-A, or a Gigabyte UD4H.

A tier down from that you have the ASRock extreme 4

A tier down from that you have the ASRock Anniversary.

Even on a 4 phase board, you can get a 4690K to about 4.4Ghz. The chips have a feature called FIVER which is integrated VRM. Having high end VRM on the board is not necessary for "average" overclocks on these chips.

My number one suggestion to you is the ASRock Z97 extreme 4. It is excellent.

My suggestion would be to save some more so you can afford the right board.

Not necessary. The MSI Krait the OP linked will be just fine. Fine, just fine. Just fine. (South park joke).

asrock z97 extreme 4 or Anniversary is not available & ASUS Z97-A, or a Gigabyte UD4H are beyound my budjet.
can i buy this http://www.flipkart.com/msi-z97s-sl..._computeraccessory_na_1&ppid=MBDDYSM6GYKGVUQ8

That will be fine.

600.png

It's either 4+2 or 6 phase and that's just fine for a decent OC on a 4690K.

i cancled 4670k an ordered 4690k as it was Rs220 cheaper than 4670k .
and also i will now order msi z97 karit edition .
oc is not my need at present but who knows in future i may oc, it is better to have k series cpu than non k

Last edited:
Buy 2 dimms. Dual channel mode is better than single channel. You can always buy 2 more dimms later. Memory speed wont make much difference in gaming 1600mhz cas9 will be fine. Get 2x4gb for now. I dont like 4gb for gaming its a bit limiting.

Remember, all modules should be identical, so if you buy a specific kit (ie, G skill 1600 8 8 8 24 1.5V part #4325) you need to get the same part for the other 2 dimms for optimum compatibility.

Don't buy cheap no name brand RAM. Kingston, AMD, G skill, Geil, Corsair, Team, Crucial... These are the ones you want.

Remember, all modules should be identical, so if you buy a specific kit (ie, G skill 1600 8 8 8 24 1.5V part #4325) you need to get the same part for the other 2 dimms for optimum compatibility.

Don't buy cheap no name brand RAM. Kingston, AMD, G skill, Geil, Corsair, Team, Crucial... These are the ones you want.
done

Got a great deal on my gtx 650 ti boost so sold it so need a new graphics card budget is around 15000 INR.
asus r9 270x 15345 INR
zotac gtx 660 12890 INR
and what about gtx 760 is it worth stretching my budget by about 2000 INR(17344 INR)
And what about artifacting on r9 270x?
Also
My i5 4690k dosent cross 3.68ghz when I ran prime 95 on default settings
My temps were 53c on the highest core & VDI was 1.037v when running prime 95 is this normal and can I oc to 3.9ghz without voiding the warranty.

Last edited:
Got a great deal on my gtx 650 ti boost so sold it so need a new graphics card budget is around 15000 INR.
asus r9 270x 15345 INR
zotac gtx 660 12890 INR
and what about gtx 760 is it worth stretching my budget by about 2000 INR(17344 INR)
And what about artifacting on r9 270x?
Also
My i5 4690k dosent cross 3.68ghz when I ran prime 95 on default settings
My temps were 53c on the highest core & VDI was 1.037v when running prime 95 is this normal and can I oc to 3.9ghz without voiding the warranty.

Overclocking voids the warranty. Couple of important points to note- one is that Intel has no way of knowing that you overclocked the chip. another is that CPUs rarely fail outright. If you keep voltages reasonable there's no reason to worry.

I would guess you cann easily hit 4Ghz + on your current cooler given the stock temps you're getting.

What about artifacting 270X? Have you read that somewhere? A new 270X is as unlikely to artifact as any other new card. Typically cards start to artifact when they are dying. Don't worry about that.

Back