• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just got a 3258 on an ASrock Z97 Anniversary. Let's OC!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Theocnoob

As I understand it to OC just the CPU cores to about 4.5Ghz all I need to tweak are multiplier and vcore?
Questions:

As I am unfamiliar with Haswell, what is a good "ball park" voltage for 4.5Ghz from which to further tweak up or down depending on how the silicon lottery has shon down upon me this fine day?

What version of P95 do I use? I know the latest runs Haswell CPUs too hot

I would also like to overclock the graphics just for kicks, but I only have 1600Mhz RAM. Not sure it's worth it.

Full system:

Pentium 3258
ASRock Z97 Anniversary
2x2 GB G skill DDR3 1600 C9
1TB WD Blue
TPLink wifi (PCIE)
EVGA 500B
Antec P100
Asus generic opty

Nice!!! Congrats Theocnoob!

Yep...multi and vcore should get you there. Set your initial multi (in bios) to 35 and vcore to 1.325v. Do your initial overclocking in windows with whatever oc app came with the board, you'll do them in bios when you've got the settings figured out. Get into windows and see if it'll pass ~ 5 prime95 runs (not sure which version to use...mine's an oldie). If so, start your overclocking app and raise the multi by 1 (or 2) then run p95 again. If it passes, then add to multi and repeat. If p95 fails, increase voltage by 0.1 then retry. Keep going until you get to 4.5GHz or your temps get too high. If you get to 45 and it's stable, then start reducing vcore. Once you've got your vcore figured out then set 45x and <voltage> in bios.

Good luck!

So far I tried 4.5Ghz at 1.3V it couldnt even get into windows.

Then I tried the "auto OC" on the motherboard (via bios) to 4.2Ghz, that got into windows but crashed in P95 after a few minutes.

I am having no luck with this chip.

No but Im going to. A major problem is that I don't understand this board's bios layout. Im not even sure if Im tyiping the Vcore in the right place. Anybody know of a good OC guide for the ASRock Z97 Anniversary?

I know the chip is a bum because it failed the auto oc to 4.2 GHZ and mobo auto OCs are usually very generous with vcore to make sure they're stable so this is a silicon lottery loser cpu for sure.

edit: BIOS screenshots coming soon. Maybe you guys can help me figure out this bios.

Last edited:
IMG_1208_zps8d1619e2.jpg
IMG_1207_zps4b5d3213.jpg
IMG_1206_zps7c4051a5.jpg
IMG_1205_zpsb422bc16.jpg
IMG_1204_zps888f8bcb.jpg
IMG_1203_zpsad7c158c.jpg

Please help me navigate this bios. What settings should I change? I'm aiming for 4.5Ghz. I have an Actic Freezer 7 pro so I should make it. Load temps stock in P95 barely reach 38C

Hello? It's so quiet in this thread I hear crickets. SOMEBODY must have ASROCK bios experience and can help me out. Im lost in this bios folks.

That's a lot of settings!

Ok...on the first screen...disable everything that has to do with C-states, disable memory protection
2nd screen- cpu cache is aka vccin, leave it alone for now. set dram voltage to whatever your sticks are supposed to run at + 0.1v
3rd screen- set cpu vcore voltage mode to manual (what other choices are there there?), what options appear with vcore adaptive voltage? Almost certain that's the one you want to set to 1.35-1.4-ish
Disable spread spectrum, disable speedstep

Give that a try...we'll keep our collective fingers and toes crossed.

That's a lot of settings!

Ok...on the first screen...disable everything that has to do with C-states, disable memory protection
2nd screen- cpu cache is aka vccin, leave it alone for now. set dram voltage to whatever your sticks are supposed to run at + 0.1v
3rd screen- set cpu vcore voltage mode to manual (what other choices are there there?), what options appear with vcore adaptive voltage? Almost certain that's the one you want to set to 1.35-1.4-ish
Disable spread spectrum, disable speedstep

Give that a try...we'll keep our collective fingers and toes crossed.

Will try and report back.

Just as an FYI, you can insert a USB thumb drive in one of the USB ports and hit F12 to take BIOS screenshots :)

Back