• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC settings for GTX 970

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Every card clocks differently. You'll have to find out for yourself what your card can handle. Use Heaven benchmark while using PrecisionX. If it starts artifacting, drop the clocks back by 5 until you're stable.

I have a EVGA 04G-2978-KR GeForce GTX 970 FTW.
I use it for Folding @ Home. I run it 24/7 at:
Power Target = 110%
GPU Clock offset = +76
Mem clock offset = 0
Voltage = +75mV
Fan auto
Temperature is usually about 50 Centigrade.
EVGA Precision X16 shows the GPU clock at 1506 MHz.

Most of these cards can make ~1450-1550MHz on core, ~7800-8000 on memory ( 2000 or 4000MHz in soft , all depends what are you using ). Expect to see throttling at any OC so pushing card too high you may notice performance drop even though everything will be stable.

Generally power target to the max and best is also to raise temperature target to 91 ( even though you won't see so high ). Higher voltage won't help you at all if you won't go above ~1520MHz and for that you need heavily modified BIOS as your card has some additional limits.

Tbh, you won't see special difference after OC so it can be waste of time if you are only playing games.

I had done a slight previous clock before that picture and I just put it back to that, it's just a bit of a kick. I was just experimenting though :p thanks Woomack. In the picture, is that 1582 my core? It shows different on Precision X

1582MHz as max boost but I doubt this card will hold that clock for longer. Run something that logs clock during all benchmark. I don't know if there is something like that in precision , msi afterburner is generally the same soft and it has additional tools for monitoring.
As I already said, it doesn't really matter but you can play with settings etc if you like.

I already lowered it close to stock, it's good as it is. Was trying to safely play around a bit.

I have played around a little with my 2 970's but I never change the voltage any, Just not worth me making a screw up :D Any who, I use the Gigtabyte OC Guru for my overclocks the little software programs everyone makes are all about the same IMO, just personal pref on what you use.

My clocks run about the same as everyone else

Max out the power target
Memory i set about +300 to 400
Base/Boost Default is 1178/1329 and I usually run it up to 1280/1431

It's all just little adjustments to keep me occupied :D I will play around with it on some nights when Im into tinkering and run some benchmarks, it makes some nice point gains in the 3d Mark benches etc and I get a kick out of it, but when I play games Im just running factory defaults and keep them nice and cool, I set up my room so that my computer pretty much sits in front of an AC unit so in the summer she is sucking in cool air, LOL It was great for my GTX 670 SLI as it used to get pretty warm, these 970 cards don't get all crazy hot though especially with my fans/case and AC setup and the cards being Windforce they stay cooler than those old Reference 670 cards. Play around and have fun but you will never get results that have you leap frogging more expensive cards and such. That would be business suicide for the card makers LOL

Hi boys,

I just bought EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SC Gaming ACX 2.0 1165MHZ Boost 1317MHZ Graphics card. Previously, I had a nVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 3GB card on my ASUS TYTAN G30AB PC. I had never installed a card before :( but i finally managed to install it. I ran the latest nVIDIA drivers, and have installed EVGA PrecisionX 16 and EVGA OC Scanner x. I don't play game much, the only game i play is CS:Go and that's about for 2hrs max. I render videos sometimes on Vegas Pro 13, use Adobe CC applications and that's it.

Please suggest me some good settings to meet the above usage. Also, is it normal to have my GPU temp 47 C / 114 F with just Firefox and that OC Scannerx?

A little about my PC: ASUS G30AB came with Intel Core i7-4790K with Turbo boost button on the casing that goes up to 4.7Ghz i believe. I don't use it much. I just work with default 3.5Ghz. I thought this Boost button boosted my GTX 660 but how stupid and naive i was... :D
I have 16GB RAM, 13GB remains idle most of the times if i am not gaming.
I have SSD 500GB Samsung 850 EVO
I have another HD Toshiba 3TB 7200rpm Sata something...

Thank you in advance :)

Cheers,

P.S. Please see my attached screen shot.
Capture.PNG

I am running +450 on the mem, +100 on the core (1504 MHz. boost at 1.243V) and +87 on the voltage. There is only one voltage step. Anything above +25 activates the voltage step, so basically +30mv and +87 are exactly the same. Likewise, +20 and below are the same as stock voltage.

I disagree that overclocking the card for gaming is pointless. My overclocked 970 is almost as fast as an 980 stock, and I barely had to put any effort into it. If you dont want to waste time, set the mem at +350, core at +65 and voltage at +87 and hit save. That's a moderate overclock that's very likely stable on almost all 970s and it takes you about 5 seconds to apply it.

As with many cards, the limitation is the 110% power target. If we could get rid of that, we would get better performance. I wish there was a way to get rid of the power target without doing a hard mod.

Back