• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade or OC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

phloon1981

Registered
Thinking of do an OC on my phenom ii x6 1055T, (i'm new with oc'ing.
Is it worth it or should i just throw the money on an upgrade?
If upgrading what should i go for?

My mobo is:
Crosshair V Formula-z
Just bought a new GPU:
Asus radeon R9 290X
Cooler will be:
Corsair H90 High performance
Case:
Fractal Design Xl 3.0

Ask if something is missing.

Last edited:
Unless you're going to Intel, keep what you're running.
Always overclock. It's free. ;)

Thats the best board for overclocking indeed,but I would still upgrade. That GPU is going to need an 8 core vishera to see full potential.

Thats the best board for overclocking indeed,but I would still upgrade. That GPU is going to need an 8 core vishera to see full potential.

What cpu should i throw on it if i am going for it, i am planning on one more gpu when the money is jumping out the wallet anyways :D

Only if the game runs more than 6 threads, which the majority don't. I'd OC that CPU as far as you could. If it turns out that it won't clock very well and you're having issues with games then consider the FX route. The old phenoms still have bettter per clock performance than the FX hands down.

Thread part true to an extent rest I totally disagree.

When I went from thuban to vishera I saw massive improvements in all games whether they used 2,4 or 6 threads. Overall computing performance is better with visheras is what I found, I was at fist reluctant since what you said I read years ago. But found the complete opposite experince, has to do with whats on paper vs actuall performance. And even on paper hands down the visheras pwn anything a thuban can offer in 99% of depts. And no im not just talking about number of cores. Clock speed and cache specfically. Just bench a thuban vs a vishera 6 core in many benchs and you will see, take cinebench for example.

Don't even temp me on that, I have plenty of benches to the contrary. Here's one example.
http://hwbot.org/submission/2536366_johan45_cinebench_r11.5_phenom_ii_x6_1090t_be_8.17_points 1090 @ 4.6
http://hwbot.org/submission/2510877_johan45_cinebench_r11.5_fx_6350_7.24_points FX-6350 at almost 5.6

Even with a 1000MHz difference the FX gets trashed ! There are only two benchmarks where the FX reigns and that HWBot prime and UCBench and that's only because of newer CPU instruction sets. Yes there are areas where the FX is superior but just plain performance the Phenom is still a viable CPU and yes if the OP can't get that 1055 to hump up to 4.0 ish then maybe an FX will suit him. He's already got the parts so why not give it a shot and save a couple hundred bucks.

Don't even temp me on that, I have plenty of benches to the contrary. Here's one example.
http://hwbot.org/submission/2536366_johan45_cinebench_r11.5_phenom_ii_x6_1090t_be_8.17_points 1090 @ 4.6
http://hwbot.org/submission/2510877_johan45_cinebench_r11.5_fx_6350_7.24_points FX-6350 at almost 5.6

Even with a 1000MHz difference the FX gets trashed ! There are only two benchmarks where the FX reigns and that HWBot prime and UCBench and that's only because of newer CPU instruction sets. Yes there are areas where the FX is superior but just plain performance the Phenom is still a viable CPU and yes if the OP can't get that 1055 to hump up to 4.0 ish then maybe an FX will suit him. He's already got the parts so why not give it a shot and save a couple hundred bucks.

FYI an FX 8350 at default scores around 7.90 no OC

THat thuban is at 4.6 ;) plus Ill bet its NB is hella OCed too.

Im just telling you my experience, I see visheras as far superior even with same amount of cores. Want to list game benchmarks? ;)

If we're comparing apples to apples why did you bring up an 8 core. I can back up what I'm saying by more than just feelings. Looks too me like the OP is gaming and there aren't too many games today that'll take advantage of 8 cores. There is no harm in the OP getting what they can out of a CPU. If they can get another year or so out of this CPU then maybe AMD will have something to bring to the table in a new platform. Plus the bonus is they can always upgrade too an FX anytime they want if they feel they need to.

If we're comparing apples to apples why did you bring up an 8 core. I can back up what I'm saying by more than just feelings. Looks too me like the OP is gaming and there aren't too many games today that'll take advantage of 8 cores. There is no harm in the OP getting what they can out of a CPU. If they can get another year or so out of this CPU then maybe AMD will have something to bring to the table in a new platform. Plus the bonus is they can always upgrade too an FX anytime they want if they feel they need to.

BF engine already can use 8 threads.
In any case I think you need to look at all new engines coming out and already out, Unreal engine 4 defaults to 10 threads and can do 100s. Source 2 also coming out.

In any case I think that irrelevant imho, I remember with BF3 when it defaulted to only 4 threads when I got the vishera I noticed a vast improvemeent in fps comparred to previous thuban which was almost at 4ghz OCed and even N B oced too

Plus the bonus is they can always upgrade too an FX anytime they want if they feel they need to.

No shett "johan". And if he upclocks what he has to the speeds of a more expensive processor and still is not where he needs to be...then it must be just about time for that age old move to Intel since the AMD FX processors are just not up to speed in IPC. So the OP can test the best of AMD without investing an arm and a leg so he has them left to buy into Intel. Hehehe.
RGone...ster.

No shett "johan". And if he upclocks what he has to the speeds of a more expensive processor and still is not where he needs to be...then it must be just about time for that age old move to Intel since the AMD FX processors are just not up to speed in IPC. So the OP can test the best of AMD without investing an arm and a leg so he has them left to buy into Intel. Hehehe.
RGone...ster.

Intel? What intel CPU can do what an 8350 can do for 140 bucks?
Btw I like your avatar, you were DFI? That was my fav mobo brand

Yeah, I did North American and Central America Tech Support from 2004 until late 2010 when they ceased DIY mobo sales.
RGone...ster.

I did an auto clock to see how i t goes, and before i cranck the hell out of it, as i mentioned the cooler will be, the Corsair H90 High performance, right now i got some double fan corsair, and can drag 3.2 and stock is 2.8 and it seem to be stable, will move ekstreme when i get the new cooler.. As said before iam a noob in this departmen of oc'íng ;)

Last edited:
with your thuban, shoot for 3.8 ghz for 24/7, if the temps are ok shoot for 4.0 and above in game.
I have gamed both the 8350 and 1090T, same rig and the 1090T wins hands down with me.
to upgrade from what you have look at the intel 4690k, if you must.

it scores 8350 in 3dmark, dont know if its good or not but it did 7701 stock, to go to that clock you menrion there i need to manual, and have ro play a little with it, i read a little of the guide it goes in depth and have to read it trough before doing anything my self :)

3Dmark is kind of biased for a Thuban to FX comparison. The combined test only uses 4 of the 8 cores something to do with the coding. So if you're comparing scores against an FX6300 say. Just use the GFX and Physics scores since the combined test will only use 3 of the 6 FX cores and the score will look a bit skewed.

Back