• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best way to use the two routers I have (extending wireless?)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pinky33

I purchased two of these on black Friday from NewEgg for $5 each.

I have one in the basement and I was thinking about putting the other one upstairs. There is already cat5e running to a room upstairs so I can set it up as an access point.

I am not very familiar with wireless settings or router options. I was hopping people on here could inform me of any special settings or helpful hints to best use these two routers. I don't have a specific goal for this project, but if I had to have one it would be safe,fast, and cheap networking. I do have a server-ish window's based computer I stream video and audio from.

Thanks

-Pinky

Hey pinky,

It's been a little while since I've done it, but I believe it would work like this:

on the one you want to just be an access point, turn off DHCP, assign it an address in the address space of the router that is assigning addresses (something like 192.168.1.250), and set it to access point mode, I believe you also need to setup the broadcast SSID as the same as the one you are broadcasting from the primary router.

Back