• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fx 8370 overclocking.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Your temps are good but getting closer to the end so now would be the time to try and run that memory at rated speed and timings. Yes it'll be a bit harder on the CPU and may require some core voltage and CPU_NB voltage. That's why we should do it now while you still have headroom.

You're over thinking it, you have a good set of Ram why not use it to it's fullest. Yes running tighter timings will put more stress on the Cpu IMC but it's not going to hurt it. Try setting it at the stated timings in the XMP-1600 profile, leave everything else where it is and run prime blend for 2 hours just to make sure it's still stable. If it passes you're good to go, you can if you want try raising the NB Freq to 2400-2600 after that. Raising the NB Freq may give you a slight performance gain but unless you're planning on benching with the computer you probably will not notice the difference.

Ok so a made those changes this morning and ran the blend test with no issues temps were the same as earlier , actually just a tick lower. If i were to continue though with the CPU OC to like 4.9 or so should i change any of these timings? i also increased the CPU/NB voltage 2 clicks as well.

Im up to 4.9 now running at CPU temps of 61C and and Package temps of 48 , ive been running an FFT test for 1 Hour now.
CPU VCORE is at 1.416
Ill take it up to 5.0 next should i adjust the VCORE voltage or leaving it at 1.416 is ok ?

Im up to 4.9 now running at CPU temps of 61C and and Package temps of 48 , ive been running an FFT test for 1 Hour now.
CPU VCORE is at 1.416
Ill take it up to 5.0 next should i adjust the VCORE voltage or leaving it at 1.416 is ok ?

So shortly after 1 Hour at these settings the PC froze. Any input?

Heat or low voltage to the cpu are the most likely causes at one hour time frame.
Yup

Just some advice, at these clock speeds you definitely want to take it up slowly. You will find the increases in voltage for each next 100 mhz will be a lot more and it is easy to get frustrated if trying to move up too quickly. Your last known stable point was 4.7 Ghz you may want to work on 4.8 Ghz stable first if you haven't already.

4.9 with VCore of 1.416 with Small FFT or large FFT ...... what is your actual VCore showing with CPUZ or HWMonitor while under load. 4.9@ 1.416 I would think is lacking VCore to be stable. How about a couple screen shots of CPUZ and HWMonitor while running prime.

You mean the stuff so we can see what is reaslly going on at his end?

This is what we need to see for sure and a real good starting point.

Normally during setup and testing we disable C1/E, C6, Cool N Quiet, APM, TurboCore and in windows performance manager itself we set to "performance" mode. ALSO if you have HPC in bios you would ENABLE it. That way there are not "other" settings messing with the overclocking process. Some of those settings are not available on all models of cpu but where in evidence we disable for setup of overclock process.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU CORE TEMPS / "package" temps fully visible. Latest versions of HWMonitor show the CPU Core Temp as " a Package Temp" and is only shown as a single temp since there were never multple, individual core temp sensors anyway.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open and running on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

Tats the stuff RGone ...... I think off the top of my head I needed 1.448VCore for 4.9GHZ Prime Blend Sable. I have the numbers here somewhere but this room is a disaster right now ...... dang wrapping paper.

Tats the stuff RGone ...... I think off the top of my head I needed 1.448VCore for 4.9GHZ Prime Blend Sable. I have the numbers here somewhere but this room is a disaster right now ...... dang wrapping paper.

Well wrapping paper means someone will get something...iffen U nut rappen fore 'ur onself. Hehehe. Sandtie dun'd brung U sum rams looken like anywhom.
RGone...ster.

Either the Tridents I put in the A10 build don't really like it or I have not found the right mentality for the APU OC then again the Asus board could just suck for overclocking like you said they tend to.

Untitled.png 4.9.png wed.png

Ok so after an evening of testing , i ended up with these temps at 4.9. Tomorrow morning i will be attempting 5.0 , do you guys thing the VCORE voltage is too high ? should i try and lower it a bit or maybe just leave it the same at atempt 5.0 ?
Or maybe increasing the timings of my ram or running it at 1333 instead of 1600 would help out more ? i would appreciate some input , you guys have been great so far ! I'm really appreciative of all the input and tips.

Okay let us talk about what HWMonitor indicates about your Max Temps.
70c on Max Cpu temp and 72c ish is what we normally try and maintain. So at the time that you captured the image of HWMonitor you showed 68c or roughly only 4c less than we generally suggest as 72c ish. Not much left at that temp.

Now go to the Package temp which has a Max of 56c showing but is at 53c when you took the capture of HWMonitor.

So what does that sort of temp situation most normally tell us. Tells me that the cpu cooler itself is doing about all it can or seems so. BUT the CPU/Socket temp is not as low as it could be. Maybe because the air is not coming into and leaving the case quickly enough. Maybe the airflow over the VRMs and that area which includes the socket area, needs a fan blowing onto the heat sink for VRMs and that airflow would spill over and cool the socket/Cpu some and lower that temp.

If the distance (delta) between the cpu/socket to package temp were about 6c to 8c difference with the socket temp being at about 61c and not high at 68c...well then I would say push on until you see the 5.0Ghz stable as a rock, even if additiional small amount of Vcore was needed to gain full 5.0Ghz stability.

Now that is how I 'see' what is shown in images of information as relates to your system. Others might see it with a slightly different twist. I actually am saying what I expect I would have to change on my own system if those captures were mine and not yours.
RGone...ster.

Last edited:
Ok , you answer is pretty much spot on. Part of the issue is cause I couldn't get my H105 to mount above my MoBo in my 450D. So currently I have the H105 mounted at the front of the case with fans as an intake and I have the rear and 3 fans at the top of the case as exhausts. I'm planing to get another pair of fans to mount on the h105 for push/pull. I agree with you the delta between the two is kinda big I would like the cpu temp lower before I could push it to 5.0. Any ideas on how to proceed ?? Maybe setting top/rear fans as intakes and front as exhaust ? Or maybe adding a fan at the bottom of the case to help air coming in from the front to travel faster to the exhaust up top ??

Putting spot fans on the VRM section of the motherboard and also adding a fan to the back side of the motherboard will help bring down the socket temps. kthnxbaiqq, can you also add a signature to your posts with the specifics of what is in the rig for us. That way we dont have to scroll back to the 1st post to see what is in the rig.

Untitled.png

After running a blend test this morning instead of a FFT , i found that the temps are much lower , i also started looking into water cooling.
Although i'd like to get it to 5ghz with what i have so any suggestions of different fan placement , adding fans or what ever can help is appreciated.
What about having top & front fans as intakes and only use rear as exhaust do you thinkg that would be worse?

What about having top & front fans as intakes and only use rear as exhaust do you think that would be worse?
I can't hurt to try but in most cases the best airflow is front fans as intake and rear/top as exhaust. Definitely take into consideration placing fans directly on the VRM/Nb heatsinks and mounting a fan behind the motherboard. That alone will get the socket temperature closer to the package temp. Usually with that setup you'll see a 6-8c difference between the socket and package temps.

Back