• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GPU upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kohta

I am still rocking a 2600k in my signature and a 560 ti 448 that I got when Skyrim released. I have since lost touch with the latest and greatest due to work, moving and many other personal factors, I was very close to buying a GTX TITAN when that came out but I couldn't justify the $1200 premium at the time.

Looking around I still see the TITAN is holding up strong and I'm ready to lay down bang for buck. I plan to play the game Black desert online in the future as maxed out as possible and because I just bought a 1080p 120hz monitor I don't plan on going 4k anytime soon. I remember before everyone saying "you should he fine with this "insert lower end card" and be okay at only 1080p" except I took that advice on the 560ti and I never had any issues making it hit a brick wall and frame drops.

I have narrowed it down to the GTX TITAN BLACK and the gtx 980, I don't want a dual gpu or 2 gpus, I have had very bad experiences with them in the past or they aren't used on the games I play without some sort of software editing, I just want one single gpu that is going to run Black Desert, I'm not sure what engine it runs on, it may be proprietary. Thanks for any suggestions, I have the possibility of even waiting for whatever is coming next if it is going to he soon enough.

A 970 would work as well ,

New egg also has MSI 290x Lightnings on sale for $ 320.00 after rebate

At 1080, a 970 would work well. You won't see much of a difference between a 980 & 970 at that resolution. Also agree with Witchdoctor on the 290X. Very good pricing on that card, but if you want better thermals, then the 9 series from Nvidia is the way to go. Complete waste of money on a Titan card, unless you do some professional work and need a card on the industrial side.

Thanks for the advice, I may look closer at the 980, while I was waiting for responses here I discovered at 1080p it uses about 2800mb of vram and the 780 the person had told me that the card they had hit a thermal limit before it actually would peak and throttle around 80c. I have a feeling they have some issues with airflow or a high over clock with a stock cooler, not sure but in either case this isn't indigenous to just his card though, I have seen this happening to other gpus, but that's another topic.

Back