• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New HTPC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Theocnoob

IMG_0352_zpsca2e81cd.jpg

Finally got it installed under my TV and hooked up via wired connection with a 50ft cat 6 cable.

Pentium G 3258
ASRock Z97 Anniversary
2x2GB 1600 C9
TP Link PCIE Wifi
WD Blue 1TB
Antec P100
EVGA 500B
Samsung UN46F6400 TV
Logitech blurghablug webcam
Logitech K400 Keybo w/touchpad (Kickass product IMO)

Runs nice. Chip is a bum overclocker sadly but I'm working on it.

IMG_0349_zps8fd53802.jpg

Pretty beastly for an HTPC haha. Should last you a long time, very nice case too.

I gave up on HTPC's a little while back and just use plex+Roku what would you say are the current advantages of a HTPC these days?

I gave up on HTPC's a little while back and just use plex+Roku what would you say are the current advantages of a HTPC these days?

one advantage is steam streaming, hook up an xbox 360 controller and play ur favorite games using your gaming computers speed over the lan, works great.
another is really high bitrate (60mb/s) movies, idk how roku handles them but i know plex would butcher it ive used it before i had a decent HT setup (im a little snobby with my video and audio) no encoding needed server side, dont need to have AAC audio with what ever video on your server side. i use dts/ac3/truehd audio only as my receiver supports decoding them itself makes a huge difference in audio quality.
as for addons xbmc has so many awesome ones its awesome lol. 1channel, sports devil, blah blah.

actually been debating on getting a fire stick for the wife and kids mostly because windows 8.1 netflix app doesnt support a remote, and there is no amazon instant video, so the wife usually uses our xbox 360 for those, voice control on there is handy too.

Advantages? I can do anything on it. Games, movies, music, browse web, use forums, torrents, steam streaming, I can overclock it for fun, it looks prettier than a roku etc, I can use a proper keybo/mouse with it... It's just better. And faster IMO too than a lot of those devices.

I'm basically in the same boat as you. Plex + a box makes movie watching pretty easy. But oh back in the day HTPC was the way to go. I made a few HTPC's using slow dual core AMD procs back in 2008 when all that plus a BD-ROM drive was about the same cost as a stand-alone BR player. Set up everything with DxVA so even that pathetic hardware could play and scrub movies like a champ. Add in WMC with MediaBrowser plugin and Netflix, plus a Gyration remote = HTPC perfection. That setup is still being used today, and has the highest WAF of anything else I've tried. Wife and kids don't want to mess with mouse and keyboards, they want it to work like the cable box does. Like wagex mentioned, Plex usually has to do transcoding and can take a dump on your video or audio quality depending on your media's encoding etc.

Would I build a beefy HTPC now with fast specs? Heck no, I don't see the point. Any PC gaming I'd do on my PC infront of a monitor. Extra hardware won't help with video playback since even smartphones can play 1080p. If I was single I could see myself having a keyboard and mouse in the living room but non-tech family members just won't have it. These days I use Plex. I used to hate Plex. Why should I transcode something I worked so hard encoding in the first place damnit? Because Microsoft thats why. WMC was the only option I liked and now it's on life support. M$ doesn't want Windows in your living room, they want XBox instead. XBMC just isn't cutting it for me. Even the system I have now with updates turned off comes with its own set of maintenance that me as the tech dude in the house would have to support. My 4 year old can use Plex on the iPad better than I can.

I'm basically in the same boat as you. Plex + a box makes movie watching pretty easy. But oh back in the day HTPC was the way to go. I made a few HTPC's using slow dual core AMD procs back in 2008 when all that plus a BD-ROM drive was about the same cost as a stand-alone BR player. Set up everything with DxVA so even that pathetic hardware could play and scrub movies like a champ. Add in WMC with MediaBrowser plugin and Netflix, plus a Gyration remote = HTPC perfection. That setup is still being used today, and has the highest WAF of anything else I've tried. Wife and kids don't want to mess with mouse and keyboards, they want it to work like the cable box does. Like wagex mentioned, Plex usually has to do transcoding and can take a dump on your video or audio quality depending on your media's encoding etc.

Would I build a beefy HTPC now with fast specs? Heck no, I don't see the point. Any PC gaming I'd do on my PC infront of a monitor. Extra hardware won't help with video playback since even smartphones can play 1080p. If I was single I could see myself having a keyboard and mouse in the living room but non-tech family members just won't have it. These days I use Plex. I used to hate Plex. Why should I transcode something I worked so hard encoding in the first place damnit? Because Microsoft thats why. WMC was the only option I liked and now it's on life support. M$ doesn't want Windows in your living room, they want XBox instead. XBMC just isn't cutting it for me. Even the system I have now with updates turned off comes with its own set of maintenance that me as the tech dude in the house would have to support. My 4 year old can use Plex on the iPad better than I can.

you hit it 100% on the head for me

Back