• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Project Log] Home network / Server Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TransformedBG

Golly Gee Wizzal Batman has I been Busy... This has been my little ongoing project currently ive just finished up the home wiring and plan on building my server next. Will keep this updated as i go along...

Network components:
2 - Ubiquity UnFi WiFi Access points
1 - Ubiquity 5 port Poe THOUGHSwitch
1 - No Name 8 port Unmanaged switch
1 - Docsis 3 Motorola modem
Cat 6 networking cable

I started off installing Ubiquity Unfi WiFi access points just hiding them in the top of my closets.

ixqq6t.jpg

23wjitw.jpg

28i3y3m.jpg

e223t.jpg

r8vvbc.jpg

started to fab me up a few wires:
2ytteno.jpg

15xpfz4.jpg

I already had the perfect location to build my own little patch panel
14kwahd.jpg

24e751i.jpg

13z9ulz.jpg

But I was not satisfide with that set up so i upgraded To an Ubiquity POE router and changed my set up. I also decided i had to many wall warts and put in a 12v power supply and some voltage regulators to allow for 24v dc:
etdy8j.jpg

2v9qf05.jpg

fv8hoj.jpg

Once i finally found the set up i like i started to work on some wire management:
10nywl0.jpg

xqc08.jpg

More pictures soon to come... But hope you enjoy

Woo.. this is bringing me back to when I wired my house.. I think my fingers still have callouses on them from wiggling wires straight to get into the RJ45..

Awesome start and super clean TransformedBG!

The only thing I can see atm that you might want ot think about is a switch with more gigabit ports. It's amazing how quickly they fill up when adding stuff to the network. I went with a 24 port and think I've only got 3 or 4 ports left open.

Nice setup! I've had all the parts and materials to do exactly this for about a year now and just haven't found time and energy to do it myself. The access points I have only support up to G, so I'll probably upgrade them, I really like the ones you chose.

Did you pull your wire through an attic or basement/crawlspace? I have to pull mine through the attic and I'm not looking forward to it at all.

Nice setup! I've had all the parts and materials to do exactly this for about a year now and just haven't found time and energy to do it myself. The access points I have only support up to G, so I'll probably upgrade them, I really like the ones you chose.

Did you pull your wire through an attic or basement/crawlspace? I have to pull mine through the attic and I'm not looking forward to it at all.

Went through the attic.. just got a puller from home depot for about 10 bucks. wasnt that bad.. just make sure you dont do it in the summer.. lol

- - - Updated - - -

Awesome start and super clean TransformedBG!

The only thing I can see atm that you might want ot think about is a switch with more gigabit ports. It's amazing how quickly they fill up when adding stuff to the network. I went with a 24 port and think I've only got 3 or 4 ports left open.

I have a 24 port router, but i decided not to use it.. Im just using the 8 port to trunkate out to the house in the living room i have a 5 port gigabit for all the entertainment lol

Back