• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Random (now and then) Atikmdag.sys BSoD's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

alzerm

My Powercolor PCS+ 7950 has been replaced along with all other hardware on my pc such as the ram, psw and even cpu. I still now and then get atikmdag.sys BSoD's when on chrome. The most common would be scrolling down a page with too many images, gifs, and or videos on it at once. Sometimes after a while while gaming as well but not as often. I am on Win 8.1 and have windows debugger installed. Could someone help me make sense of the information in the minidump files?

Last edited:
Yes. I have done fresh installs several times. I also went from 7 to 8.1 and still getting crashes. As I said I have swapped out hardware as well because of upgrades so I am focusing on the minidump files right now.

Have you swapped out the MoBo by chance? I had some similar issues like this in the past and a motherboard swap corrected it...as long as there aren't any old driver remnants left which can also cause this. Using DDU to uninstall the drivers works really well as it will block Windows from automatically installing a driver that could be the culprit of your troubles. Windows 8.1 will sometimes grab an old AMD driver upon bootup when you add/remove a driver package. DDU has saved me this aggravation as AMD has been sloppy up until their Omega Driver.

The original card was on another amd system. Switched that card to the new system and then slowly rma'ed/upgraded parts to what I have now. This current card is a replacement which is why I am asking for someone to help me with the minidump since I have gone through the basic hardware swaps so far. I have another new motherboard which will be going into another desktop which is almost identical to what I am running in the sig now but will not be for gaming so I will have to see how I stress it.

How exactly does this DDU work to block auto installation of drivers in win 8.1? In win 7 does windows automatically grab older drivers as well or do they have to be manually downloaded and installed?

The original card was on another amd system. Switched that card to the new system and then slowly rma'ed/upgraded parts to what I have now. This current card is a replacement which is why I am asking for someone to help me with the minidump since I have gone through the basic hardware swaps so far. I have another new motherboard which will be going into another desktop which is almost identical to what I am running in the sig now but will not be for gaming so I will have to see how I stress it.

How exactly does this DDU work to block auto installation of drivers in win 8.1? In win 7 does windows automatically grab older drivers as well or do they have to be manually downloaded and installed?

It blocks it from safe mode and turns off the fetching for a updated video driver from auto installing. It will just install the generic driver to get you to the desktop then you can install your wanted driver.

You can get it here: http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/

So clean OS install or just install DDU then get the amd driver?

So clean OS install or just install DDU then get the amd driver?

It's portable...extract the zip/7zip into a folder. Download the driver from AMD. Run DDU, and follow what it asks. It will ask to boot into safe mode to remove the driver. in DDU, select the option that has "recommended" in parenthesis to clean uninstall. once you reboot you're ready to install the AMD driver.

Done. I don't really want to scroll down a page until it crashes so any way of stressing it a similar way? Also any chance anyone knows about memory leaks? Could that be a possible cause of drivers aren't the issue?

For about how long you think would be good?

I've only used it on my cards for maybe 20 mins and I was just testing temps. I would assume you could treat it like prime95 stressing a cpu as 'stable' after 2hrs, but...keep a close eye on your temps!!

I scrolled a bit earlier to see if it'd crash and ran it prob for no more than 10 mins without a crash. Hopefully I'm good but if not I will def be back and with minidump files :p Thanks for the help.

Just an update on the BSoD's. Was running fine without any BSoD's after the fresh driver install (stressed pc in same way that would cause crashes before). Will def refer back to that program from now on. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Back