• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tablet for a very bright 6 year old.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Theocnoob

Please help me choose a 7" or 8" tablet from

futureshop.ca
ncix.com

Under $250 before taxes. Later version of Android preferred.

I'm looking at the Galaxy Tab 3 Lite. Will that run all the latest educational software and kids games?
Also, do they sell Google Play gift cards at the store like they do with Apple store gift cards?

I've decided on the ipad mini. I can get 1st gen for $260 at local store. It will be powerful enough for her + I already have an account with 1000s of apps incl kids apps (I share the acct with a friend with a kid) that I can put on there so it is the wisest choice.

I'd go Nexus 7 also.

I apologize on behalf of the general public for deciding on an iPad.

What's wrong with ipad? It's the easiest OS to use. She's 6 1/2 years old. She doesn't need the advanced functionality of android. She has used my ipad and loves it.

What's wrong with ipad? It's the easiest OS to use. She's 6 1/2 years old. She doesn't need the advanced functionality of android. She has used my ipad and loves it.

You're paying more for a tablet that's slower. (Less RAM - 500MB vs 2GB, possibly less storage, a WAY slower processor - Dual core 1GHz vs Quad core 1.5GHz)
There are less free apps on Apple's store. (I know you have access to an account, but that doesn't help with new apps)
Comparing my experiences with friend's experiences, iPad screens are easier to break than the Nexus 7 screen.
- Example here, it took a 4 foot fall onto solid concrete for my mom to break a Nexus 7 screen. Even then, it still worked.
-- I've had friends drop iPads onto carpeted floors and shatter the screen and digitizer.

i tried to put an ipad in my pocket once, it didnt end well.

The ipad is what she asked for. I was just looking at other stuff because it was cheaper. Again, the ipad is going to be the easiest for her to use.

The ipad is what she asked for. I was just looking at other stuff because it was cheaper. Again, the ipad is going to be the easiest for her to use.

Not sure how it'll be easier, either way it's "scroll left or right, click on app".

Might as well get the Nexus so it will have more "effective" use in later years.

iPads certainly aren't bad, but as it's for a 6yr old, I'm confident you will find more free content on the Android for someone her age.

I bought the ipad.

How do I switch user accounts on an ipad? I want to start with my account, put all my kids programs on there for her for free, then switch over to a new account for her with the $50 appstore card I got her, but I don't want to lose the apps I installed from my account in the process.

Can someone explain to me how to switch user accounts on an already used ipad?

Thanks.

It seems to be a common theme among your threads that you ask questions which are easily answered with the Google. With this one, you don't even have to click a result, Google just tells you the answer.

https://www.google.com/webhp?source...spv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=change apple account on ipad

And for sharing apps between accounts:
http://www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/family-sharing/

That being said, you probably won't find a ton of Apple support here, I'd wager that most folks are Android users. Making a generalization here, but most folks that build their own PCs, are heavily into gaming or overclocking, etc, aren't going to be fans of a closed-source device or the company that sells it.

Well I bought her the iPad because she loves my mom's ipad and I already had a lot of software I could put on it. Plus it's the least likely tablet to have a virus etc.

Glad you found something for her, but that whole "I have a mac/Apple product so I can't get a virus" nonsense is pure ignorance.

To be fair, the prevalence of malware on iOS devices is actually far less than on Android devices because Apple has a much more rigorous vetting process before publishing apps to the appstore. Not to mention you have to pay for a developer license to publish for iOS. Jailbroken devices are another story, however.

Very true. He did say least likely after all, I just cringe when people say they have an Apple product so therefor can't get a virus/malware.

The N7 is a great tab for the price but definitely invest in an otterbox. Bought two refurbs for my kids (tweenagers) last Christmas and by february both had smashed screens. I replaced the screens and within two weeks both were broke again. Second time i just had silicon protectors that added no screen support. Doh!

Most kids are not as hard on things as mine however

The N7 is a great tab for the price but definitely invest in an otterbox. Bought two refurbs for my kids (tweenagers) last Christmas and by february both had smashed screens. I replaced the screens and within two weeks both were broke again. Second time i just had silicon protectors that added no screen support. Doh!

Most kids are not as hard on things as mine however

RTFT

Already got an ipad.

RTFT

Already got an ipad.

That seems a little harsh of a response. His otterbox comment is true regardless of what tablet you ended up with.

If you're not looking for additional discussion, then close the thread. You don't have to be a jerk because someone offers their input later than you'd like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back