• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Smart phone watches? Why?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Because we can. :D

If you wear a fitbit or something like that it makes sense. It is already syncing with your phone activity data, so why not let that be a two way street & put weather on your wrist. I can see it not making sense to many who feel the wrist watch is gone the way of the Dodo bird.

I don't have a smart watch yet, but I do have a gen6 Nano with a watchband & bluetooth ear buds. I also have several mechanical & quartz watches.

I think it'll be more of a fad thing honestly. I haven't met anyone thats dying to have it, at least not yet.

e59d_calculator_watch_inuse.jpg

Smart watches aren't designed to duplicate the functionality of your smart phone, they supplement it. Especially if you have a larger device (like a Note 4), I can see the benefit of glancing at my wrist for the time rather than digging out my phone. And to decline a call if i'm in a meeting, view a text message or reminder. Plus it has the added benefit of a fitness tracker if you're into that sort of thing.

Personally, they're still too new in the market for me to jump on the bandwagon. After a few more iterations from different companies, I'll most likely end up getting one (assuming they have more stylish options in the future). The Gear 2 could be had a few weeks ago for $100 new, or $50 refurbished. At that price point, I almost bit, but decided to wait a little longer. If you already wear a watch daily (for utility, not for fashion), or a fitness tracker, then a smart watch is a logical purchase because it can perform many more functions than those normal devices. I remember when my brother got the first gen iPhone I said "Why would I ever need something like that?"

I just don't want to have to charge my watch. No thank you.

If they come out with one that needs charging like once a month, then I might consider it. Battery tech isn't where it needs to be for a watch; at least for me.

I just don't want to have to charge my watch. No thank you.

If they come out with one that needs charging like once a month, then I might consider it. Battery tech isn't where it needs to be for a watch; at least for me.

If they can incorporate induction charging then that would be a non-issue for me. I'd have a charging pad on the nightstand anyway for my phone, just get one with more than one contact.

I bought a Gear 2 Neo smartwatch a while back. Honestly, I enjoy it...it's nice to be able to read emails/texts without needing to pull out my phone (useful while driving or in a place where I can't get into my pockets quickly). I also enjoy using it to track fitness stuff, and the heartrate monitor is half decent on it.

I'd be paranoid about either losing or breaking the thing (a friend lost her smartwatch in Ireland about a year ago). Also I don't really need any more distractions :)

I've been playing around with the idea for a piezoelectric 3DS charger for awhile, one would think it wouldn't be that hard to incorporate into a smartwatch.

I'm back and forth on getting a smartwatch. 2 friends of mine have Pebbles, which they seem to enjoy from what I can tell. I may pick up an Apple Watch when they come out, provided I have the cash on hand. Part of me just wants to skip the first iteration and wait for version 2, even though I had nothing but good experiences with the first iPhone. We'll see as the release date nears.

I have the LG G3 and the G watch. the watch is just an extension of your phone. it has nice convenience features. For example, I am a cyclist and instead of pulling my phone out of your pocket during riding I can glance at my watch for GPS guidance, change a song, etc.

ask google is a nice feature to use. I always get compliments or many conversation occur because of the watch.

Based on the number of positive responses to this thread , the development , manufacture and sale of a smartwatch is an economically viable model. That's all the 'Why' needed to make it a reality in the marketplace.

Back