• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel Core i3-4160 vs. Intel Core i5-4460. Please help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
there is a slight difference between the i5 and the i3 you show in pratical gaming that uses multiple threads. There are faster i3 chips that are far closer to the 4460 in performance while still being significantly cheaper. The i5 series is fairly pointless due to its price/performance level. Unless you mean to overclock there isnt much point in using an i5 and even then the cost/performance isnt really going to balance out.

the i3 4360 is so close to the performance of the 4460 that you may as well get the i3. In all practical ways the i3 should perform somewhere above 90% of the i5 in almost all situations except synthetic benchmarks that can actually load the physical cores to capacity. In that situation physical cores > hyperthreading as long as the IPC of the chip is similar.

Intel truly dominates the high end performance market with the i7. Entry level is all AMD with those APUs. midrange is all intel i3 and 6 and 8 core FX chips from AMD. The price/performance of the i5 series just doesnt compete well enough.

Back