• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 8.1 gets native MKV support

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

'Cuda340

Very Welcoming Senior, Premium Member #11
Xbox One received native Matroska Multimedia Container (MKV) file support earlier this year and now, Microsoft has extended support to its current operating system. As of writing, those running Windows 8.1 can play MKV files without having to download a third-party media player.

MKV files are often associated with pirated movies and television shows found on BitTorrent and other popular file-sharing platforms. Windows’ lack of native support for MVK has led to the popularity of standalone media players like VLC but that could soon change.

By baking support right into Windows, Microsoft is also giving the open standard container a much-needed boost of legitimacy. And while some may argue that support has arrived a bit late with Windows 10 looming on the horizon, it's better late than never in my book.

Speaking of, Windows 10 will also carry native MKV support in addition to support for Free Lossless Audio Codec (FLAC) files. FLAC is a lossless audio compression format that provides much higher audio quality compared to lossy formats like MP3. Despite being around since 2001, it still hasn’t really taken off even with the advent of high-quality streaming sources and dedicated FLAC audio players.

As for MKV support in Windows 8.1, it’s worth pointing out that it’s still limited by the operating system’s codec and subtitle support. I haven’t tried it out yet but if it’s just terrible, I suppose VLC is always an option.

Source

that is pretty awesome perhaps they will include windows media center with 10 for free. or atleast let you use a remote for the netflix app. sheesh. lol

Nice.

Having a good media player is important.
There are features which are important, but will never be included in any of the official players, so customization is the only answer. On this topic I want to plug my custom player design:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...deo-player-DAUM-PotPlayer-skin-customizations

The other day my dad tried to play a video he recorded on his Tablet and it was sideways because people don't know that shooting video is not like taking pictures, you have to get the orientation straight on some of these devices or else the video will come out 90 degrees flipped.

All my dad had to do is click on the Rotate Video button on the custom skin I created and problem was solved ;).

Back