• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Caribbean Island and Fiji XT ??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gh0sT-NoVa

So I think everyone knows that recently there are news that saying AMD is going to be launching their new Next-Gen GPU Codename Caribbean Island , thing is what about Fiji XT ??
Reviewers claimed they have no info or whatsoever on the newly announced Caribbean Island GPU(s) , nor is it even related to Fiji XT.
Since AMD never even have any to say about this. We are being kept in the dark.

Anyone have even the slightest idea what's the upcoming releases be ? Or even maybe a date or something ?
As before AMD claimed that the upcoming R9-390X is based on Fiji XT , so what's this new Caribbean Island ??

O so like Volcanic Island is the series and Tonga is the Core Chip name ??
Looks like AMD has recently announced that their Successor of their next new GCN be around 2016....
Bit confused here, since my English is rather weak. So will the upcoming Caribbean Island / Fiji XT be delayed ?
Or more likely AMD has changed their Roadmap for 2015 / 2016 on an upcoming new GCN ??

http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/anton-shilov/amd-may-roll-out-gcn-successor-in-2016/

But according to all the info I gathered up , seems like AMD has announced what we be expecting on 2015 and this news is released by Hexus.
Seems like they going to Refresh the Hawaii series...rather surprise they going to do another Refreshing. But also they be bringing in the new GPU series as well , Caribbean.
Which will be based on 20nm / 28nm
But as expected the new GCN cards are going to be basedd on 14nm / 16nm.

http://hexus.net/tech/news/graphics/78237-amds-2015-strategy-includes-20-28nm-products/

Would just like to CONFIRM my info , so I guess we will be seeing the 390X this coming 2015 then and not having to wait till 2016 ? :clap: As for 2016 I guess it be a whole new Generation of cards then I guess.

Its all rumors now... nothing can be confirmed. I expect a new AMD card of some sort by the end of 2Q 2015.

That is what I have read as well, 2nd quarter

What will be interesting will be to see if they can get the same type of efficiency that nVidia is getting out of the 900 series of cards

What will be interesting will be to see if they can get the same type of efficiency that nVidia is getting out of the 900 series of cards
Exactly my thinking... :)

Its all rumors now... nothing can be confirmed. I expect a new AMD card of some sort by the end of 2Q 2015.

This is sad ! 2nd Quater will be like around August or something ! That's TOO LONG !
Should I get a 290X Vapor-X 8GB at the moment then to satisfy my Lust :D
My 280X Toxicn isn't fairing so well....the new Dragon Age Inquisition made my card cried like a baby ***** lol , can play it a Ultra settings even without MSAAX4 without the game FPS dropping and lagging the heck out of every intense battles....even in huge cities where tons of NPC(s) just by walking around lag like mad

Or more likely AMD has changed their Roadmap for 2015 / 2016 on an upcoming new GCN ??
But according to all the info I gathered up , seems like AMD has announced what we be expecting on 2015 and this news is released by Hexus.

My best guess for this would be that the 285 already contains GCN 1.2 and by successor I'd think they mean GCN 1.3.
The 285 is the only card with the 1.2 and I'd think that the 3xx will have it as well. 2016 seems reasonable for the 4xx series and GCN 1.3.

Obviously speculation, although I'm going to throw money down for the 285 just for longer support and more features (I assume any features that come to 3xx will hit the 285 too if they share the same GCN) as my cards have to be a long term investment :( poor 6970

I think I might go ahead and get me myself a 290X Vapor-X 8GB next January =)
While waiting for all the models of 390X to release , or maybe least price drop for them lol

I got answer from one gfx card manufacturer that new AMD cards will be "soon" whatever it means and it was about a month ago.

Soon = ="
How soon lol...just got another news that there be a chip name Bermuda XT which is faster than the new upcoming Titan it seems @@
Though this is just speculation. Looks like Bermuda XT is even faster than Fiji XT , rumors claimed that the Fiji XT is actually a 380X while the Bermuda XT be a 390X

http://www.kitguru.net/components/g...-next-gen-graphics-cards-from-amd-and-nvidia/

Should I even get a 290X now lol....seems like more and more all this rumours and benchmark leaked , it does feel like the cards be coming very soon =/
But AMD isn't even giving us a slightest hint....

NVIDIA is lot more expensive here, I wanted to get a 970 actually , but it's like RM 1400 - 1500 :screwy:
I can get a 290X Tri-X for only RM 1350 or even a 290 Tri-X for only RM 1080 :sly:
Not to mention a 290X > 970 , unless I OC the hell out of the 970 , which I don't OC :bang head
In the case of getting a 980 ? Don't bother , a 980 is high as RM 2200 - 2400 , it's totally overprice as usual for NVIDIA here. :thup:
If I were to get a 980 why don't I get a 290X 8GB Vapor-X for only RM 1650 - 1699 which once again not to mention a 980 isn't much of a gap compared to a 290X :chair:

Please read Benchmark on HIGH demanding graphic settings , something which is least Ultra on Dragon Age Inquisition , Metro , Crysis and such with 4XMSAA or so , or else at lower settings you will see the 980 and even 970 beating the hell out of the 290X , which at some point being pointless since the FPS for the 290X , 970 and 980 is all mostly above 60 FPS @ 1080p , even if the 970 / 980 pushes 20 FPS more than the 290X , I won't see the different, when come to cases like heavy graphic demanding games , I will experience the same performance for the 970 / 980 as the 290X so I be totally wasting my money on NVIDIA.

To make things simple , let's take DA Inquisition , which currently is considered one of the most demanding graphical game
Just watch this comparison

As for TheCrew both of them are about to max out at 60 FPS that's good at least. Though not sure how much the Minimum FPS for the 290X and compared to the 970 and 980.
But Im running on a 280X Toxic now isn't much of a drop still playable, so in TheCrew for the 290X I say it's alright

Here's FarCry4 , well 4 FPS more for the 980 , but I have to pay RM 600 more for the card...My Lord....and one of the most Basic 980 too not to mention. Compared to a 290X Vapor-X 8GB....

I used to see Benchmark shown by Reviewers , I don't understand why they benchmark the games not at the HIGHEST settings possible. Which will end up alot of false info on how well the card actually runs when you really need it to.
Specially AMD has a higher Memory Bandwith , on 4K Res / 1440p / 1600p the 290X will mostly stay on top of the 980

I think I've decided myself , as originally planned, I won't be getting a 290X till least January or Feb 2015 , so let's see what's the news by then , then I will decide what to do.
Overall Tks for the help.
But anymore info about the upcoming Bermuda and Fiji XT cards will be appreciated :) Specially a SOLID RELEASE DATE !

EDIT : O and I would still stick to AMD because of their new Omega Catalyst :thup: Good stuffs ! :clap:

Last edited:
Back