• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with first WC venture

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jbfourteen

Registered
I'm fed up with chunky air coolers and have decided to delve into the dark arts of watercooling to get my OC back. I've been reading everything I can but have to say I'm getting a bit lost in all the info. Looking for a little guidance with a build for this system:

CPU: i5 2500K @ Stock w/ BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro (Temps 46C Load)
m/b: ASRock Z68 Fatality Pro Gen3 Temps 40C Load
RAM: 8 GB G.Skill 2133 @ CL9, 1.65V
VGA: 2 x Sapphire HD 6950 Dirt 3 (Temps 80C/70C)
PSU: Corsair TX850
Case: CM HAF-932

RAD: The XSPC RX360 V3 seems to be the best
RES/PUMP: Unsure
CPU Block: EK Supremacy EVO
GPU Blocks: 2 x EK Thermosphere
m/b Blocks: Unsure

Questions:
1. What is the best pump/res for the job? Are 5.25" Bay RES/PUMP Combos as good? I expect I'll need a lot of flow for the 3-4 components.
2. Would this setup suffice?
RES-PUMP-360RAD-CPU-VGA1-VGA2-RES
or do I need to add another rad in there?
RES-PUMP-360RAD-CPU-140RAD-VGA1-VGA2-RES
3. Is there anything I can do with this board's mosfets and nb/sb (4 areas)?
4. Do offer suggestions/alternatives if you have any!

I wouldn't waste money on WCing old GPU's like that.
OC your CPU, grab a 970, and sell the two 6950's.

You'll have a LOT faster system, a LOT less power to dissipate (less power used by GPU), and spend less money.

What you say is true, but this system is a good candidate for my FIRST watercool and I'd rather fry these cards than a shiny new 970. There's also the preinstalled 6970 BIOS that I never got to try due to high temps and I'd be disappointed if i didn't get to "use this card to the fullest" to put it politely.

My point is that you're going to get minimal gains with the water cooling, but going to an air cooled 970 would be a huge improvement with a lot less cost.

Add up the money you'll spend going both routes and compare how much gain you get for each.
I just want to make completely sure you know your gain per dollar, and your total dollar.

When you add up for the loop, plan for AT LEAST a 360 rad and a 240 rad.
Plan two fittings per component (block, rad, res, pump)
Plan 10ft of tubing.

Come back with those totals, then I'll find some performance expectations. We'll work with the path you decide from there.

You do make excellent points but the truth is I'm taking the "plunge" just so I can learn how. I'm not too worried about the cost as long as there are temp gains to be had. Realistically, what temps can I expect on a watercooled gpu considering the top card is currently ~80C on 5m Furmark Burnin and the stock cooler?

Firstly, you shouldn't be using Furmark. It's outdated and can actually damage newer GPUs.
That said, you should easily get into the 50°C range on both GPU's with a good full cover block and proper amounts of radiator. (5.120 or more for your setup)

Really not worth buying 2 water blocks for those GPU..

I could always move them over to a new card when I upgrade. Just haven't had any reason to do that just yet.

The m/b blocks may be unnecessary since it currently maintains 40C under load.

3+2 120s is going to be problematic. The case can take a 360 at the top but I'll have to get 2 separate 120/140 rads and try to mount them at the rear/bottom if there's space. This is the case.

Any suggestions on the pump/res?
What do you use for gpu stress testing?

EDIT: Also there are no full cover blocks for these cards.

Not full cover blocks... universals, sure...

Since you can't house enough rad in your current case, i would do as others said... grab a 970 and watercool it... learning or not. ;)

Unigine Heaven or valley is a good GPU only test.

With those blocks being non full cover blocks, you 'could' but why not get a full cover and do it right?Unless the cards are designed exactly the same, you would need a block that is made for that board. There is a reason that there are different blocks for different cards.
Heck, even if you buy say a NVidia GXT980 and an MSI GTX980 (I honestly do not know if these two boards are reference, just two of the same board from two different companies) they are the exact same board but could be laid out completely different to where a block designed to fit the REFERENCE card (IE the design from the manufacturer, NVidia) will not work on a NON REFERENCE board.

Yes, I am talking full cover blocks. Go big or go home. No reason to cool just the GPU when the VRM gets just as hot any more.

The only reason I would get a universal block is if I wanted to cool a card that there was no block for. Like if I was really feeling froggy and wanted to cool my GTX560 (stop laughing.. ) that is like.. 7 years old.

Last edited:
VRM's get hot.. vRAM, not so much... at least on the cards (dozens) I have reviewed anyway...

Here. If you really want to take the plunge, buy a XSPC kit (D5) for a CPU only loop and go from there. Keep the old cards on air till you upgrade them to say a 970/980 and than add that to the loop with a full water block. If you went that route, you should be able to cool off the CPU + GPU with only a 120.3 in your case.

Here's a great intro to water cooling video to ease your mind.

And :welcome: to OCFs. :D

There are no full cover blocks for this card and no other 6950 or 6970 full cover blocks are compatible. Sapphire used a non reference pcb for some reason so things wouldn't quite line up.

Sapphire_HD6950_Dirt3_edition_pcb.jpg

I'm thinking sandwich the vrms/mosfets/vram between copper heatsinks and a backside full cover aluminum heatsink. Although if you look at the card, there's quite a bit of room there for a waterblock.

I'd love to get the 970 but its way too expensive and its also next to impossible selling used cards where I live. Considering I can still get 36 FPS on Ultra in Shadows of Mordor without the 6970 unlock, they're not all that useless either. Puny in comparison to the 970 but not useless.

Sure watercooling is also expensive but I'd learn something + I can see how close to 5Ghz I can get on this CPU + I can unlock the cards to 6970. With the massive air cooler I currently have I can only reach 4.0Ghz at 55C so I need something better.

EDIT: @GTXJackBauer Thanks! Will check it out!

Your temps on the CPU are nowhere close to being an issue...you have 30C left!!! Push on that bad boy!!!!

Your temps on the CPU are nowhere close to being an issue...you have 30C left!!! Push on that bad boy!!!!

Lol gotta keep it under 55C for daily use. It'd suck getting to 5Ghz, doing a celebratory dance and going back to 4 :)

Question: Are the bay pump/res combos in the video as good as their individual non-bay counterparts?

What??????? A 2500K is good to the mid 80s for daily use friend. This isn't an AMD CPU we are talking about here...

True but with that logic I should also be perfectly happy running my gpus at 80C since they're designed to take that punishment and more. Don't they degrade really quickly at those temps? As a rule, I try to keep absolutely everything well under 60C to prolong life. Too many dead gpus and motherboards in under 3 years of use in the past...

EDIT: You've got me curious so I'm going to see how high a clock I can get at 65-70C.

Last edited:
They do not degrade quickly at those temps... neither do the GPUs... That is an overly paranoid rule. :)

If you had stuff die in the past, it was for other reasons.

That is an overly paranoid rule. :)

Probably but getting a bit side-tracked...

...you should be able to cool off the CPU + GPU with only a 120.3 in your case.

1. If I should end up with 2 x 960s, would 120.3 be enough for CPU + 2 x GPUs? How about 120.3 + 140.1? Trying to gauge how much heat 120.3 + 140.1 can be expected to dissipate since this is my estimate of maximum rads that can be placed internally on this case.

And with regard to xspc pumps/reservoirs: Tube 170 vs. Dual bay vs. Twin Dual bay.
2. Is there any significant performance difference between Tube and Bay Reservoirs?
3. Is the Twin necessary for CPU+VGA1+VGA2(+mosfets possibly) setup?
4. Is there anything else to consider if I need to add vrm/mosfet blocks to the card(s) if necessary?

If there was a kit with XSPC RX360 + EK Waterblock I would get it in a heartbeat since these seem to perform better on reviews. Placed an ad for the 6950s but won't be holding my breath...

Back