• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with first WC venture

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
No, that isn't nearly enough rad. You want 120.3 or 120.4 for a CPU and one GPU. And 120.5 or 120.6 for a CPU and two GPU's.

It all depends how much delta-Temps you want. The better they are the more heat surface you'll need. Plus you'll want a silent rig since it would be pointless to get better temps only and not quieter acoustics during full load.

You could grab a external rad setup and have the hoses feeding to the inside of the case via tube holes from the rear.

You also don't get a performance boost from the different res/pump combos. Its more for looks and convenience. Up to you which one you want.

Also, you don't need to water cool the MB. Just the CPU + GPU(s).

Are there any cases that allow for 120.5 or 120.6 cooling internally? Don't want anything external. The lower the delta temps, the better.

I might be able to do 120.3 top + 140.1 rear + 140.1 bottom (will have to check measurements). Would that do for 2 cards?

Its unlikely that I'll need the mosfet blocks but just trying to understand how additional components would impact overall performance or flow.

Mosfet blocks look pretty, but in the end don't help much on an Intel rig and mostly serve to reduce flow.

I'd rather see 2 larger fads instead of 3 with two smaller rads.

I'd rather see 2 larger fads instead of 3 with two smaller rads.

I would too- if only there was a case that could mount both internally.

Having done some measurements, everything would fit except the bottom has 120mm holes. So the final build would look like this:

XSPC D5 Bay Res/Pump Combo
v
XSPC RX360 RAD
v
EK Supremacy EVO CPU WB
v
XSPC EX140 RAD
v
Full Cover 960 WB1
v
Undecided 120 RAD
v
Full Cover 960 WB2
v
XSPC D5 Bay Res/Pump Combo

This pump can do 1200lph. Would I need the twin for 2x1200lph?

Last edited:
THere are plenty of cases that can do 3.120 + 2.120 worth of rad... The Corsair Carbide Air 540 that I have does... Im doing it now. Plenty of full towers can as well as mid tower...

You will not need another pump. The D5 is pretty strong.

Also, why not stick with the XSPC Raystorm WB? A kit should save you some instead of buying a pricey EK block. All the top blocks are within error of margin. It really comes down to looks to be honest.

I agree. The top end blocks perform close enough to where you are buying a name for a name.
I personally have an XSPC kit and it has performed very well for me. One thing I can say, and I have the AMD hold down, the acrylic plate is warped from tension. No cracks yet but it will probably happen.

I read somewhere that the finish on the contact surface for xspc blocks were downright terrible. Any room for lapping here? The kit IS good value for money.

I read somewhere that the finish on the contact surface for xspc blocks were downright terrible. Any room for lapping here? The kit IS good value for money.

Says who? lol Again, you'll see benchmarks all within margin of error. Are you saying it doesn't look pretty or shinny enough on the contact side? Who sees that side anyways. Its going to be contacting the CPU and that heats up. As long as the internal channel design is up to par and no debris is in there you're good to go.

I am sure you could lap it if you wanted too.

Who sees that side anyways. Its going to be contacting the CPU and that heats up. As long as the internal channel design is up to par and no debris is in there you're good to go.

B2lDvu4.jpg

This is a freshly unboxed raystorm gpu block. As you can see, it has one ugly a*$ finish. This matters because (usually) the rougher the surface, the higher the impact on temps since you have to use more tim to fill in the gaps, and tim isn't the greatest at transferring heat. I guess it only matters to someone like me who has, up until now, had to squeeze every little bit out of air coolers.

Can't make out if there's enough base for lapping- guess i'll have to buy it and see. At worst I'll end up getting an ek instead.

Thanks for all the help guys - looks like I'm all set. Hope the 960 doesn't turn out to be a lemon.

It looks like it still has the plastic film on it which can have some debris on the outside. Its possibly not the prettiest of them all from the whole production but honestly, I see nothing wrong here. Yes, it should be a nice flat surface like the rest of them. At this angle you can't really tell. You're over thinking it. Buy what ever your heart desires.

Oh and btw, that is not a XSPC Raystorm block because they don't have the ports on its side but on top. The image below is.

sidewindercomputers_2266_74037604

Last edited:
+1 to what Jack said, it still has the plastic cover on it. That'll cause it to look bad.

You can see the hallmarks of an unpolished surface regardless of the plastic cover although yours looks a lot prettier. The pic i posted is the Raystorm GPU block and not the CPU block and if you look at the pic below, it may be that they've started polishing their blocks after all the complaints.

xspc_raystorm_8.jpg

Probably doesn't matter much when watercooling anyway. If it turns out to be unpolished, I'll do it myself and if I'm not able to, I'll get an EVO.

You can see the hallmarks of an unpolished surface regardless of the plastic cover although yours looks a lot prettier. The pic i posted is the Raystorm GPU block and not the CPU block and if you look at the pic below, it may be that they've started polishing their blocks after all the complaints.

View attachment 157279

Probably doesn't matter much when watercooling anyway. If it turns out to be unpolished, I'll do it myself and if I'm not able to, I'll get an EVO.

Ah ok. I thought we were specifically talking about the CPU block. There are too many variables in that image to say that the block is not up to par. There' a thin filter on it that can make them look cloudy. For example, my Swiftech block can look like that out of the box and as soon as I take the dirty plastic film off it looks clean and shinny like the 2nd image I posted. Maybe someone did get a bad block but majority come out fine. XSPC, Swiftech, EK are all great contenders, to name a few. In the end its your bucks and your choice.

Back