• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Running different cards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hardass

I have 2x 980 running now, I have a 780ti sitting in closet. Can I install all 3 cards in a x99 mobo and run at same time?
I am not concerned about gaming as a single 980 runs any game I play with no problem. I want to get the 780 running F@H along with the 980,s
Thanks.

I have 2x 980 running now, I have a 780ti sitting in closet. Can I install all 3 cards in a x99 mobo and run at same time?
I am not concerned about gaming as a single 980 runs any game I play with no problem. I want to get the 780 running F@H along with the 980,s
Thanks.

Assuming you have the slots for the cards, I see no reason why not. They use the same drivers.

Thanks.

This might be a smartass question, and im not someone from a benchmarking team or anything. But why waste your money on 980 GTX in sli, if you can run anything on a single 980 GTX? let alone why upgrade from a 780Ti to a 980 GTX when there is almost no difference, only to let it sit to waste in your closet?

You can afford to brag i can see. because that is the only and sole reason you'd do that. any intelligent observer you're trying to impress will be able to see right through and there is nothing impressive about wasting money.

I am asking you in the hope that i can understand why - time will show if i will be burned like a witch for asking this :)

This might be a smartass question, and im not someone from a benchmarking team or anything. But why waste your money on 980 GTX in sli, if you can run anything on a single 980 GTX? let alone why upgrade from a 780Ti to a 980 GTX when there is almost no difference, only to let it sit to waste in your closet?

You can afford to brag i can see. because that is the only and sole reason you'd do that. any intelligent observer you're trying to impress will be able to see right through and there is nothing impressive about wasting money.

I am asking you in the hope that i can understand why - time will show if i will be burned like a witch for asking this :)

I do not see a question here worth the time it would take to answer. I do see someone that does not know me, or what I find important.
I ask you to stay clear of my threads.

You know, you could have asked pretty much this same question without the smartass component to it. But I'm going to answer it politely anyway.

Hardass is running F@H like he mentioned. That is Folding@home, a distributed computing program out of Stanford University. It is a medical research program that simulates how proteins assemble themselves. It has applications in treating medical problems like cancer, Alzheimers, and Parkinsons. Currently video cards are giving Stanford the best results for rapid turn-around on work units. High end GPUs, AMD and Nvidia both work well for this. Hardass is the 6th highest daily producer on our team (Team 32 http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_summary.php?s=&t=32 ) and likely to bump me out of the 5th position. I'm running 10 video cards, 5 280X, 1 7970, and 4 7870 cards, plus a 4 CPU / 48 core system to hold the position I'm in. This has nothing to do with bragging (other than some good natured ribbing we do in the Folding sub-forum here) and everything to do with donating processing power to medical research.

http://folding.stanford.edu/ If you are interested in joining the team, or participating outside our team. Either way helps the scientific research.

Currently there is 39,706 tera-flops of computer power dedicated to this program. That makes it effectively the most powerful supercomputer in the world.

I hope that answers your question.

You know, you could have asked pretty much this same question without the smartass component to it. But I'm going to answer it politely anyway.

Hardass is running F@H like he mentioned. That is Folding@home, a distributed computing program out of Stanford University. It is a medical research program that simulates how proteins assemble themselves. It has applications in treating medical problems like cancer, Alzheimers, and Parkinsons. Currently video cards are giving Stanford the best results for rapid turn-around on work units. High end GPUs, AMD and Nvidia both work well for this. Hardass is the 6th highest daily producer on our team (Team 32 http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_summary.php?s=&t=32 ) and likely to bump me out of the 5th position. I'm running 10 video cards, 5 280X, 1 7970, and 4 7870 cards, plus a 4 CPU / 48 core system to hold the position I'm in. This has nothing to do with bragging (other than some good natured ribbing we do in the Folding sub-forum here) and everything to do with donating processing power to medical research.

http://folding.stanford.edu/ If you are interested in joining the team, or participating outside our team. Either way helps the scientific research.

Currently there is 39,706 tera-flops of computer power dedicated to this program. That makes it effectively the most powerful supercomputer in the world.

I hope that answers your question.

Hello

The remark about smartass is because a question like the one I asked will seem so, rightfully maybe even since I thought he was only gaming. I ask him since I was curious about it.

First of all - he did not want to answer me and ask me to stay clear of his threads. I will try to respect that. I choose to reply because I think you deserve a thank you for explaining me the need for all that raw power, your answer is exactly why there is no shame in putting questions to things in life... You might learn a thing or two by doing it. Thanks.

Hello

The remark about smartass is because a question like the one I asked will seem so, rightfully maybe even since I thought he was only gaming. I ask him since I was curious about it.

First of all - he did not want to answer me and ask me to stay clear of his threads. I will try to respect that. I choose to reply because I think you deserve a thank you for explaining me the need for all that raw power, your answer is exactly why there is no shame in putting questions to things in life... You might learn a thing or two by doing it. Thanks.

I'll understand if there is no reply, but since you don't seem to understand what made you post so offensive, a quick pointer so you can possibly avoid offense in the future.

Your first paragraph was mostly questions, and not that offensive. But this:

Has no question, and all it adds is you saying "You are rich and stupid". It adds nothing useful to your question, presumes answers that are not true, and are offensive on the face of it.

Had you left it to your first paragraph alone, you would have gotten your answer, and likely offended nobody.

I'll understand if there is no reply, but since you don't seem to understand what made you post so offensive, a quick pointer so you can possibly avoid offense in the future.

Your first paragraph was mostly questions, and not that offensive. But this:

Has no question, and all it adds is you saying "You are rich and stupid". It adds nothing useful to your question, presumes answers that are not true, and are offensive on the face of it.

Had you left it to your first paragraph alone, you would have gotten your answer, and likely offended nobody.

Looking back i understand this perspective and i guess i was kinda in a mood that made me write things in a not very diplomatic way. Hardass is not one of the types my comment was meant to be reflected upon. But its not uncommon to see spoiled kids upgrading their GPU's and Iphones or whatever, even though they gain 10% more power, 10% that can't be utilized or felt. I even have family that partly behave this way and waste away hundreds of dollars worth of money just to be able to say they've got the newest. This is a big trend in life today i feel.

Sometimes i feel like that angry old man who is mad at the world :)

torin3 i've got respect for the way you handled this, you approach me with a kind attitude and explain me things. Normally this is not the way things end on the internet, if you know what i mean :)

I can understand feeling cranky.

I've been fairly cranky for the last week or so myself. Thankfully, I'm aware of it and the cause (nothing related to here on the forum), so I've been making an extra effort to not let it bleed over into my interactions with other people.

Good luck!

Back