• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EVGA GTX 980 and use GTX 580 for PhysX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bkngo

Registered
Was wondering if it was even worth it? I replaced my GTX 580 sli setup with a GTX 980 since I upgraded to a 4k monitor... once my Apple Cinema 30" screen sales I will purchase another GTX 980... but until then should I even bother using the GTX 580 for PhysX?

I will benchmark Batman Origin this weekend to see...

quite the jump in gpu.

I think you answered your question. Run a few benchmarks and decide if the extra card is worth the extra power consumption and heat output. That is the most conclusive way. Share the results please.

welcome to the forums.

I wouldn't bother to be honest, I would think the 980 would do just fine by itself and you don't have extra heat/power consumption for a handful of games that use physx.

GTX 980
I used the GeForce Experience settings:
ambient occlusion dx11 enhanced
anti-aliasing fxaa high
depth of field normal
distortion on
dynamic shadows dx11 enhanced
geometry detail dx11 enhanced
hardware accelerated PhysX high
lens flares on
light shafts on
reflections on
resolution 3840x2160
I get an average of 32 FPS, low 27, and high 45. However, it is very smooth.

GTX 980 with GTX 580 (dedicated PhysX)
same settings
I get an average of 56 FPS, low of 48, and high of 67
I will keep this card until I sale my monitor... the GTX 580 throttles down power when it is idling.

Wow, very nice jump in frame rates. Interested to see if it is noticeable, though? You said the 980 alone was very smooth, did you see any improvement (outside of numbers) visually between the two setups?

After seeing this thread I tried the same benchmark with my old card:

OC'ed GTX970, GTX670 DEDICATED PHYSX, ARKHAM ORIGINS BENCH:

44 FPS MIN, 72 FPS MAX, 56 FPS AVG

GTX 970 by itself:

37 FPS MIN, 61 FPS MAX, 47 FPS AVG

Both benches taken at Geforce Experience Settings:

DX11 Enhanced
FXAA High
DOF Normal
Distortion On
Dynamic Shadows dx11 enhanced
Geometry Detail dx11 enhanced
Hardware accelerated PhysX high
Lens flares on
Light shafts on
Reflections on
Resolution 3620x2036 DSR (2560x1440 Monitor)

Both setups are very smooth and playable, you don't notice any hiccups while playing. I was at an indoor level so I couldn't notice the difference playing on either setup.

Will upgrading to a X99 platform yield better results for 4k gaming or should I buy another GTX 980 for SLI? I was not able to test my current system when I had both GTX 980 in SLI.

CPU: i7 2600k oc'ed 4Ghz
GPU: GTX 980
GPU: GTX 580 (dedicated PhysX)

I used fire strike ultra and scored 3135. graphics 3173, physics 7147, and combine 1625.

Fire Strike Extreme 5674. graphics 6302, physics 7100, and combine score 2772

Then I removed the GTX 580...

Fire strike ultra at 3173 (higher score). graphics 3172, physics 8665, and combined 1629

Fire Strike 10271, graphics 13995, physics 6292, and combine 5018

Should I upgrade to a X99 platform or purchase another GTX 980?

I highly doubt the x99 would give more than a handful of FPS compared to what another 980 could give you.

Fire Strike Extreme 5797, graphics 6485, physics 7093, and combined 2803

Janus67... I want to upgrade my platform and pick up another GTX 980 later...

This is interesting, what was your load on the PhysX cards while gaming?

I have a similar idea to use one of my GTX 670s as a PhysX when/if I get a 980 after Christmas.

So if I'm understanding this correctly you can have a single GPU or an SLI setup of 1 type of card and then have an entirely different type of GPU for being dedicated to physX? Also for the physX, is this a graphical type of load for the physX card or more computational, I'm curious because would a Nvidia Tesla series card work better for the dedicated PhysX or would another regular GPU work better?

Nevermind..., I just looked and the tesla GPU's are not compatible with PhysX

However...

I have 3x GTX 970's in SLI, If I was to consider adding a GTX Titan-Z (12gb of ddr5) would that only help with my benchmarks or would that also help with gaming? (Being dedicated PhysX

Last edited:
so on benchmarks with games that used PhysX like batman: ao. it perform better with the dedicated GTX580 for PhysX. however, on the 3dmark firestarter demo it did better without the GTX580. either way it still looked and play smooth.

yes you can use a sli or single setup with a dedicated PhysX card. you can set that in the NVidia controls. it is used only for PhysX.

So if the dedicated PhysX card is used then their is no load for PhysX being put on the other cards in an SLI setup? So that would allow more focus from those GPU's to focus on the game, right?

Back