• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Sabertooth 990FX 4100 MHz unstable

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
360 rad for FX8320 + GPU R7 250 ...... Is that enough? I'm not sure as I don't really know the heat loads of GPU but still should have better temps for sure. I am sure someone can elaborate on this.

What rads are those you used and what fans do you have on them?

In your pic of the back rad it looks like your fan is off the rad about an inch? Is that right or just my tired eyes? If so I doubt that any of the air being push by that fan is getting through your rad.

Although the temps are still high,

Under Prime95 for well over 2 hours.PNG

I ran it all night, and haven't yet had a single problem.
It is running rock solid under Prime95 for this long period of time.
Was still running when I wrote this. Stopping it, to show idle temps.

Only moments after stopping Prime95

Only moments after stopping Prime95.PNG

Why vcore comes down, I am not sure. It rises when under full load. I am sure it's in the bios someplace, I just haven't found it. It is set to Manual.
It did help some, taking off the top piece of the case.

Near idle temps.PNG

Near idle temps. Notice, cpu temps around as chilly as it is in this room.

360 rad for FX8320 + GPU R7 250 ...... Is that enough? I'm not sure as I don't really know the heat loads of GPU but still should have better temps for sure. I am sure someone can elaborate on this.

What rads are those you used and what fans do you have on them?

In your pic of the back rad it looks like your fan is off the rad about an inch? Is that right or just my tired eyes? If so I doubt that any of the air being push by that fan is getting through your rad.
It is true, I just have it sitting on the pipes. I should probably see about a fan that would fit, might help with temperatures a little bit. Two fans blowing in, one out. And one extra fan on the side. Blowing in too. The reason my HDs are getting hot, is cause I have them in the Hot Swap bays, which do not have a fan nearby cooling them. So they get kind of hot.
Hm. although they don't, I can actually feel a little air coming from the front anyways.

Thanks.

Still the temps are high for running a water loop. Like has been said before that loop isn't functioning like it should be. So , you could have bad contact from the block to the CPU, possibly an air bubble trapped in the block. Maybe your pump isn't on full speed. It's hard to say from here but something is definitely off. Even with an AIO your temps shouldn't be that high.

Making sure OP's first post is answered in toto...

...First post copied just as it was written with added notes, since has been just a few day since we had real trouble getting everyone on the same page.

My system isn't quite stable at 4100MHz. (4.1GHz.) = < Not surprised at instability after seeing the Temps shown by HWMonitor.

I am debating whether or not I should turn up vcore further. = < The voltage to the cpu as shown by HWMonitor should certainly be enough voltage at just 4.1Ghz cpu speed.

I have a custom built water cooler. I have a water block on the GPU as well as the cpu. = < It seems completely apparent to those trying to help that there is some kind of problem with the cooling being done for real for the cpu. Actual move this change that and real time troubleshooting of the cooling needs to be accomplished.

Idk which thing I should try for a further overclock. It became unstable in the middle of a video encoding job, so it wasn't even at max cpu use. = < It seems quite evident that further overclock is useless without first taking care of heat that is too great at the cpu.

Basic layout of system, in my signature. = < Looking at a 240rad and a 120 rad setup with cpu and video card water blocks one would expect the temps related to cpu would be much lower but they are not and it is going to take actual, physical change/checks to determine the problem. Air-lock of water flow due bubble in system; fans on rads fighting each other for air flow; fan not mounted the best to the smaller rad; possible water pump problem not generating real water flow are all mentioned as possible problems with the temperatures being T00 high as relates the cpu at speed.

So there is the exact break out of OP's original post and why it is most likely that he has instability at only 4.1Ghz when in use and loaded doing video coding. Physical and actual changes are going to have to be done to accomplish a troubleshooting of the problems with cpu cooling as evidenced by temps in HWMonitor. This assumes that HWmonitor is in version 1.25 or later.

I have physically abused some cpus by running them at perceived excessive temps and the system does not just fully fail but gives odd, flakey results when I attempt to do real work. Inaccurate video encdoding would indicate the very condition that I have seen when trying to do real work with a system that has not fully crashed or shutdown due too much heat, but cannot do work accurately.
RGone...ster.

Fievel, one question I have is, when you put it under load does the CPU temps jump immediately to the 70/80's or does it start out in say the 40/50's and creep up? Additionally, idle temps aren't correct with these chips. The temp sensors aren't accurate until under load and above somewhere around 40c.

You definitely need to address the cooling issues before you push any further.

Those pictures of the loop didn't help very much.
Please list the components of the loop, piece by piece.

My question is the same as Mandrake's though, how quickly do the temps jump up?

Those pictures of the loop didn't help very much.
Please list the components of the loop, piece by piece.

My question is the same as Mandrake's though, how quickly do the temps jump up?

Hm.
Well they don't just jump up suddenly. It takes awhile to get there, but takes little time to come back down.
http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/stock-fx-8320-with-high-temperatures.202655/
I figured I would do some searching. I also checked AMD's site, but. There's no temperatures listed for my cpu.
I am not the only one having problems with high temps of this cpu.
Also, my other motherboard would overheat, even at stock, if I didn't have the extra side fan going. It could have also just been a defective board though, as it did go funny on me. Kept halting on, (New CPU Installed) and then wouldn't let my overclock at all. It was very frustrating.

Again, a list of the parts in your water loop will help immensely.

Well they don't just jump up suddenly. It takes awhile to get
Be more specific, what is a while? A minute? 5min? 10?

Fievel, lets sloooowwww down for a second. Don't compare your setup to anyone else, we have dealt and been helping people with these Fx 8xxx cpus for a while now. Yes they run hot but not this hot on a custom loop. You have a problem with your cooling that needs to be addressed!!!!!!!!! You need to figure out what that problem is!!! I cannot reach into your computer for you and rip apart the loop to see what is wrong. There is definitely something wrong, it may be that your ambient temps are too high and the 360mm of radiator cooling isn't enough. It may also be bad contact with the Cpu, not enough flow, a line is kinked, a water block is clogged etc...

Since the Gpu is in the loop also what are the temps on it when running prime? Were the temps rising significantly ? I'm thinking if the temps on the Gpu were getting toasty then it is an issue with not enough radiator. If the Gpu temps don't jump much then it's a flow issue.

And that'd be the problem...
eBay watercooling parts are cheap for one reason, they're made cheap. The radiator and CPU block in that are in no way cut out to handle an 8-core FX.

And that'd be the problem...
eBay watercooling parts are cheap for one reason, they're made cheap. The radiator and CPU block in that are in no way cut out to handle an 8-core FX.
Can't even figure out how much that pump flows :(

EDIT: Looks like it may flow 600 Lph.

Last edited:
Be more specific, what is a while? A minute? 5min? 10?

Fievel, lets sloooowwww down for a second. Don't compare your setup to anyone else, we have dealt and been helping people with these Fx 8xxx cpus for a while now. Yes they run hot but not this hot on a custom loop. You have a problem with your cooling that needs to be addressed!!!!!!!!! You need to figure out what that problem is!!! I cannot reach into your computer for you and rip apart the loop to see what is wrong. There is definitely something wrong, it may be that your ambient temps are too high and the 360mm of radiator cooling isn't enough. It may also be bad contact with the Cpu, not enough flow, a line is kinked, a water block is clogged etc...

Since the Gpu is in the loop also what are the temps on it when running prime? Were the temps rising significantly ? I'm thinking if the temps on the Gpu were getting toasty then it is an issue with not enough radiator. If the Gpu temps don't jump much then it's a flow issue.

"manny" go look at the specs for that $140.00 Usd kit. Look at all that is included for that money. Look at country of manufacture. Look at all those pumps for sale there. None rated more than 600L/Hr. Taking the 120 rad out of the loop and probably the waterblock on the video card and temps would likely come down dramatically.

But not having seen many reports of that 1/3 the cost of a similar name brand setup...I have serious issues with my brain computing the overall cooling prowess of such a system kit.
RGone...ster.

"manny" go look at the specs for that $140.00 Usd kit. Look at all that is included for that money. Look at country of manufacture. Look at all those pumps for sale there. None rated more than 600L/Hr. Taking the 120 rad out of the loop and probably the waterblock on the video card and temps would likely come down dramatically.

But not having seen many reports of that 1/3 the cost of a similar name brand setup...I have serious issues with my brain computing the overall cooling prowess of such a system kit.
RGone...ster.

Agreed and I also thought of making the suggestion of pulling the Gpu out of the kit to see. Though giving the kit the benefit of the doubt I'm hoping it could cool the set up a bit better then it does. The onus will be on Fievel to help us help him though.

Just for reference OP, I have an 8310 at 4.5 ghz with a cheapo 212 evo on it and it never gets above 57 degrees on the core. Something is seriously awry here. When I asked about your temp, I was under the impression that was under full load.

If you want to get this fixed, listen to these guys.

Last edited:
Somethings definitely not right here, temps aside.

1) do you have turbo on still?
2) did you disable cool n quiet, core c6 state, etc in the cpu menu?

3) 1.412v for 4.1ghz seems ridiculous at best. Did you actually work up to this voltage or did you just "wing it"? I refuse to believe your 8320 is simply "that bad", sorry.

4) what are your llc and over current settings? For a modest over clock you don't want to have llc and over current cranked up for no reason

5) do you have case ventillation? All the water cooling in the world won't matter if air isn't moving over the other bits.

Edit: in the interim get a hyper 212 Evo imo. Cheap and work great.

Last edited:
Lower your tRC timing from 39 to 33. Compare your timings in the Memory tab to what the manufacturer recommends in the JEDEC #6 column of the SPD tab.

He should sort his extreme voltages out before playing with ram, no?

Back