• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Sabertooth 990FX 4100 MHz unstable

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Am.
I made some changes, but temps of the one reading are still all over the place. It seems stable, but still hot.
63 - 77c. The other cpu reading, never got over 69c. My speed is 4249. I am beginning to think, that the sensors aren't quite reading the temps accurate, even though they should. BTW for those who want to know. Unless I go in and turn it back on, Cool N Quiet is disabled on this board, just as soon as you start overclocking. I was running Prime95 while typing this, as I am doing my best to see if I am rock solid stable.

I might get something to check the temperature of the water, and then I'll have a better idea of the cpu core temp.
I could always check how well it's seated. The cpu that is, I do have more thermal paste.

Am.
I made some changes, but temps of the one reading are still all over the place. It seems stable, but still hot.
63 - 77c. The other cpu reading, never got over 69c. My speed is 4249. I am beginning to think, that the sensors aren't quite reading the temps accurate, even though they should. BTW for those who want to know. Unless I go in and turn it back on, Cool N Quiet is disabled on this board, just as soon as you start overclocking. I was running Prime95 while typing this, as I am doing my best to see if I am rock solid stable.

I might get something to check the temperature of the water, and then I'll have a better idea of the cpu core temp.
I could always check how well it's seated. The cpu that is, I do have more thermal paste.
Fievel, it's your rig so you may do as you please. Though, you came here for our help, you have a temperature problem. I have not once seen a cpu come through this forum that had a bad temperature sensor. You should really look at the loop and see if you have any blockages or the block isn't seated correctly. Something is wrong with the cooling and it should be addressed! If you don't want to help us help you then our hands are tied, as I said in a previous post. If it were my rig I would have the custom loop you put in apart and I'd be checking it for problems. The onus is on you!

^+1^

No way to do anything but concur with your analysis there "mandrake4565". OP can find his cooling problem or not. But there is certainly nothing else we can do. How long we been working with these 990FX R2.0 boards now? Year? Year and a half? How many of these FX processors we have been asked by users to give 'em a free hand with? Shett I no longer can even guesstimate. How often have we seen the current version of HWMonitor be off when using FX processor and 990FX R2.0 when looking at Cpu/Socket temp and Package/Core temp? I suggest never have we seen high readings like the OP sees.

I might interject here since the OP keeps mentioning it and that is AMD has been very very very d*mn close to their chest releasing in print their suggested Max temps for FX processors. Been so now for 3.2 years. Matter of fact the only people representing AMD that have ever said anything about current breed of FX processor temps has been about 3 AMD reps in emails to users that were reprinted in the forums about 1.5 years ago now and two other AMD reps that came into a couple of forums (not this one) and made very obtuse suggestions about how high should the temp of a late model FX processor go to. That is it.

That said just about everyone of us that has posted in your thread has been on the current breed of FX processor for about 3.2 years. A couple that have posted in this your thread are on the benching team and have quite a number of scores up at HWBot. Some of these guys have started out with cheap boards to arrive at the top notch Saber 990FX R2.0. They push these FX things all the time, day in and day out and are in this forum about 9 hours a day helping the ones that need and want help and for free. They do not take this gratis work lightly.

So it comes to this now. Find and fix your cooling problem. It will take physical checking and moving parts around or maybe even replacing something. So that does not work for you, then you can run it like it is. Have fun and enjoy, since there is nothing you need help with. Good luck man and have some happy computering. Everyone should have some happy computering.
RGone...ster.

Fievel, from post #19 it is apparent that you need to give some attention to cable and wire management. Although this is not a major culprit in your high CPU temps it is something you would do well to give attention to at some point in order to improve air flow and help keep overall case temps down. Looks like you have quite a bit of dust in the system as well. Do you have an air compressor or access to one?

With regard to that fan on the rear panel radiator that doesn't fit, until you can get one of the correct size it might be more effective to put the fan on the outside of the back panel and set it to exhaust air away from the case.

And what are your GPU temps like? If you run say the Heaven benchmark, what kind of GPU temps do you get? This would be helpful to know as it would give us an idea of whether or not the CPU water block may not be seated well. If your GPU temps are good then the pump is probably doing it's job.

Last edited:
Fievel, from post #19 it is apparent that you need to give some attention to cable and wire management. Although this is not a major culprit in your high CPU temps it is something you would do well to give attention to at some point in order to improve air flow and help keep overall case temps down. Looks like you have quite a bit of dust in the system as well. Do you have an air compressor or access to one?

With regard to that fan on the rear panel radiator that doesn't fit, until you can get one of the correct size it might be more effective to put the fan on the outside of the back panel and set it to exhaust air away from the case.

And what are your GPU temps like? If you run say the Heaven benchmark, what kind of GPU temps do you get? This would be helpful to know as it would give us an idea of whether or not the CPU water block may not be seated well. If your GPU temps are good then the pump is probably doing it's job.

Not necessarily. An R7 250 pulls down 75W at max, the FX chips at stock pull 2X that...
A garbage block on the CPU wouldn't do the job, while it would still hold temps on the GPU.

Not necessarily. An R7 250 pulls down 75W at max, the FX chips at stock pull 2X that...
A garbage block on the CPU wouldn't do the job, while it would still hold temps on the GPU.

Agreed, but if you reread my post you will see I was referring to the pump, not the blocks. If the pump is not functioning properly or if the system is air locked then I would think the GPU would also be showing high temps under load.

I was thinking the same in post #31.

Since the Gpu is in the loop also what are the temps on it when running prime? Were the temps rising significantly ? I'm thinking if the temps on the Gpu were getting toasty then it is an issue with not enough radiator. If the Gpu temps don't jump much then it's a flow issue.

How's this?

With Prime95 running for a period of time.PNG
The bolts of the other Water Block were too small, had to improvise. I used the plastic washers from the other bolts, and they kept things together sufficiently. I also am using a different method of overclocking, upping the multiplier, instead of the FSB.
Didn't seem to make a difference before, but there's a difference now. There's not much headroom, but I am liking the temps better.

Hm.

Seems to be wanting to go up some, but how far I don't know.

It went up to 61, and then went no further.
That's the highest it has gotten recently.

Last edited:
OK if you have really set to overclock with this setup there are a couple issues you NEED to get SRAIGHTENED OUT ...... there are a few things I think you will need to do.

1. Pull off you CPU Block and use new TIM and remount it properly.
2. Drain off your loop and remove the GPU Block and put the stock cooler back on your video card you don't need to water cool that card and save as much cooling for your CPU as you can. you need it.
3. properly refill your loop with an anti corrosive mix of distilled and some anti freeze as you have an aluminum rad.
4. properly bleed off any air in your loop ..... very important.
5. Get that fan mounted properly on the rad I pointed out earlier and maybe get some better fans for the rads that can push air through them.
6. Take the free advice offered here by the guy's we would like to get your system running better

In the end it's your system do as you wish but ignoring advice given will only drive people away from helping. The above advice will cost you nothing unless you go out and buy new fans ...... just time. In the end water cooling is a tricky and finicky way to cool your system that can reward you if done right, I won't say how much money I have tied up in my cooling loop alone suffice it to say it is a little bit more then you have spent and have been water cooling for about 3 years now. Taking shortcuts and buying the wrong parts will only cause you grief in the end. Have you gone into the water cooling section and read up on how to properly design and build a custom loop? There are allot of good threads and stickies in there that can help.

More eBay watercooling parts.................

To be fair, that one looks far superior to the other one. At least its copper and baffled on the inside at least. Willing to bet that other one simply had a flat plate on the bottom.

To be fair, that one looks far superior to the other one. At least its copper and baffled on the inside at least. Willing to bet that other one simply had a flat plate on the bottom.

And with an aluminum radiator... mixed metals from getting eBay crap.

And with an aluminum radiator... mixed metals from getting eBay crap.

oooh didn't think about that part. Maybe he should use mineral oil haha.

on a side note, using water would be out of the question, what fluids are typically used in those AIO solutions?

Last edited:
Yeah, that video card does not need water cooling, Fievel. Simplifying your system would be a good idea.

OK if you have really set to overclock with this setup there are a couple issues you NEED to get SRAIGHTENED OUT ...... there are a few things I think you will need to do.

1. Pull off you CPU Block and use new TIM and remount it properly.
2. Drain off your loop and remove the GPU Block and put the stock cooler back on your video card you don't need to water cool that card and save as much cooling for your CPU as you can. you need it.
3. properly refill your loop with an anti corrosive mix of distilled and some anti freeze as you have an aluminum rad.
4. properly bleed off any air in your loop ..... very important.
5. Get that fan mounted properly on the rad I pointed out earlier and maybe get some better fans for the rads that can push air through them.
6. Take the free advice offered here by the guy's we would like to get your system running better

In the end it's your system do as you wish but ignoring advice given will only drive people away from helping. The above advice will cost you nothing unless you go out and buy new fans ...... just time. In the end water cooling is a tricky and finicky way to cool your system that can reward you if done right, I won't say how much money I have tied up in my cooling loop alone suffice it to say it is a little bit more then you have spent and have been water cooling for about 3 years now. Taking shortcuts and buying the wrong parts will only cause you grief in the end. Have you gone into the water cooling section and read up on how to properly design and build a custom loop? There are allot of good threads and stickies in there that can help.

Ah. Thanks.
I pretty much did all of that.
I went from having my system actually shutting down, due to inadequate cooling, to no higher then 61.
I have two Rads, one before the cpu, and one after the cpu. I do not have the video cooler on there any-longer. I am running 4560, and have Prime95 running in full. Hopefully that 2 MHZ I added to the fsb, doesn't effect the temperatures much.

Hm.

Wants to freeze up, even at only 2 MHZ over.

Another thought. Should I risk slightly higher temperatures, for stability turning up the vcore, or just leave it at 4515?

Last edited:
If it's freezing then you either need more voltage (which will make more heat) or lower the frequency.

You might also try bumping up the CPU/NB voltage a tad.

Back