• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm getting my first SSD, now what?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cheaptoad

Registered
I'm putting together a small gaming rid. I'll be putting my current 650 HD in as a secondary and using my 240gb SSD as my main. As of this moment I'm using windows 7 but upgrading (using the term loosely) to Windows 8. I also have something called RoboForm. I think I just have to find that data file and move it. The games I have installed and use are WoW, D&D, Dragon age Origins, Guild Wars 2, Diablo III, League of Legends, all other software is easily downloadable.

I'm pretty sure the SSD has plenty of room for all the games.

I'm just wondering how to make sure when I move or reinstall the games I taker all my data with me. Or do I need to do it at all? Maybe leave my 650 as my main and use the SSD as my secondary only for games. I also have a 1TB external for files.

So, the question is what do I do?
Thanx

Steve

Put both OS and games on the SSD, I can do it with one half the size of yours.

Id say just clone but IMHO a fresh install to the SSD would be your best bet to assure proper alignment. Thing is you say your starting with Win 7? I think only Win 8 will properly detect and align an SSD at install im not sure. For win 7 you have to use something like Gparted to format the drive for SSD proper alignment.

I forgot to mention I'm going to get rid of win 7 and go with 8 (reluctantly).

Thanx]

The other question is about the games themselves and all the game data

I forgot to mention I'm going to get rid of win 7 and go with 8 (reluctantly).

Thanx]

The other question is about the games themselves and all the game data

Games you can back them up to the mechanical drive with steam. Dont they use steam? If not you should have them on DVDs no?

No, I bought the games on the devs site and just downloaded them

Shouldn't I be able to re-download the games and access my accounts?

Remember to leave about 20% of free space on the SSD unless you want it to slow down.

As far as the game data, you can copy the information directly from the other drive if need be, but considering your games I wouldn't worry too much unless your net is simply slow and you don't want to redownload them.

In short, yes, you just go to the appropriate sites via Blizzard, Leagueoflegends.com, etc. etc. for your games, download their clients and then download the games via the clients. Your game data for these games are saved to your online profile which you have the username(s) and password(s) with Dragon Age being the exception and possibly D&D. Dragon Age Origins save games can be found in, Documents\BioWare\Dragon Age\Characters. Can't help you with D&D as I am simply not familiar.

No, I bought the games on the devs site and just downloaded them

Shouldn't I be able to re-download the games and access my accounts?

Of course you can dl them again, I mean you should. But wait, you downloaded them how? Not with something like Steam or Origin?

Of course you can dl them again, I mean you should. But wait, you downloaded them how? Not with something like Steam or Origin?

I covered this above. League of Legends runs via it's own client, as do most of the other games he plays which cannot be found on Steam or Origin.

I covered this above. League of Legends runs via it's own client, as do most of the other games he plays which cannot be found on Steam or Origin.

Ahh, sorry didnt know that, dont play league of legends. Just another RPG for me I know nothing about it. but he should be able to dl it again through whatever dl manager it has.

Me I have my main steam games backup to BD-REs

Back