• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10: The next chapter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully Microsoft will talk a lot more about Windows 10 at its upcoming developer conference, BUILD, that takes place from April 29th to May 1st and put an end to the "subscription" issue one way or the other.

I still have not seen one thing from Microsoft that indicates they are heading that way......Just say'in

Yea. But I mean let's be real.
We know they want to do this and they are looking for a way to do it.

But people are not going to go for it so they can't do it this year with Windows 10.

Since the topic is relevant, how exactly do they get people to subscribe to Office? Who does this, how much of a percentage of sales generally speaking go for subscribing, and why do people pass on permanently owning Office instead of subscribing to it?

Who does this, how much of a percentage of sales generally speaking go for subscribing, and why do people pass on permanently owning Office instead of subscribing to it?

The practice of leasing software has been a mainstay of corporate computing for a long time. It's something the vendors, and in this case Microsoft, are trying to move toward the consumer space.

I realize I tread on dangerous ground in a thread of this content, so I'll word this lightly. I imagine the public would finally consider alternate operating systems. I can't imagine why the public actually needs Windows specifically. Microsoft doesn't respect that, or seem to be aware of it, despite certain portable computers that already have these alternatives, and Microsoft's own problems competing in alternate formats.

To answer the other side of your question, though...I'm not sure why people seem compelled to continually upgrade an office suite, aside from protection against viruses conveyed in documents. Certainly feature set hasn't really required extension for 99.9% of the people using a word processor or spreadsheet. However, for those who do want to continually upgrade to the latest and greatest, it can be cheaper to consider the software as leased rather than purchased. Psychologically consumers are prone to think of wasted investments in older versions they no longer use, whereas leased software just convinces them they're always using the most current version without thinking about abandoned versions of the past.

Really, I think the public's dependence on Windows and Office demonstrate the power of marketing and the absence of common sense, reasoned thinking and prudent choice. That was also Bill Gate's business genius at work in the early phases.

Apparently Theyve just patented the suffix "365" and are pushing ms office 365 hard. were all heading to the clouds :chair:

Subscriptions are merely to break down the end user payments... This weeks spin. :D

The 10 Tech preview didn't like my sata 2 OCZ SSD much...finally gave up and am installing Ubuntu. I'll try again when I get a new more modern SSD to go with the new build.

The practice of leasing software has been a mainstay of corporate computing for a long time. It's something the vendors, and in this case Microsoft, are trying to move toward the consumer space.

I realize I tread on dangerous ground in a thread of this content, so I'll word this lightly. I imagine the public would finally consider alternate operating systems. I can't imagine why the public actually needs Windows specifically. Microsoft doesn't respect that, or seem to be aware of it, despite certain portable computers that already have these alternatives, and Microsoft's own problems competing in alternate formats.

To answer the other side of your question, though...I'm not sure why people seem compelled to continually upgrade an office suite, aside from protection against viruses conveyed in documents. Certainly feature set hasn't really required extension for 99.9% of the people using a word processor or spreadsheet. However, for those who do want to continually upgrade to the latest and greatest, it can be cheaper to consider the software as leased rather than purchased. Psychologically consumers are prone to think of wasted investments in older versions they no longer use, whereas leased software just convinces them they're always using the most current version without thinking about abandoned versions of the past.

Really, I think the public's dependence on Windows and Office demonstrate the power of marketing and the absence of common sense, reasoned thinking and prudent choice. That was also Bill Gate's business genius at work in the early phases.

BOOM, he hit all the nails right on the head, further upstream i have read that ms will increase it's income to the tune of 860 million per year doing this, the first year is a wash and after that its all banked.
I think I was reading about this at infoworld.

Did the SSD show up at the point in the install process point where you choose the drive to install to? If not, the problem may be you need to supply a SATA controller driver.

- - - Updated - - -

The 10 Tech preview didn't like my sata 2 OCZ SSD much...finally gave up and am installing Ubuntu. I'll try again when I get a new more modern SSD to go with the new build.

Did the SSD show up at the point in the install process point where you choose the drive to install to? If not, the problem may be you need to supply a SATA controller driver.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes it showed up and even installed the OS once. Then the install crapped out with a message to the effect your PC has encountered a problem...Tried a number of different drivers. None of which worked...couldn't even format it. I considered formating it on another PC. Wasn't sure if the drive was bad...so installed Ubuntu...Drive is OK, Ubuntu installed. I used that to test the hardware.

I have a new 500GB SSD coming this week and I'll try again...I'll post up with the result. The old drive is only 60GB and not really useful for this build (#1 rig in Sig)

O.K. A positive comment about Win10 although kind of lame. My old printer took a death gasp this weekend so I had to go fetch a new printer; Canon MG5620, wireless, etc. Win7 had no idea what to do with the WDS drivers. I tried every driver I could find, updates, hacked the registry, had deleted all old print drivers and printer. Nothing availed after several hours, forums, and KB articles. Win7 just had no use for a more modern printer. I reloaded Win10 beta on an SSD and set up a dual boot. All is well that ends well. I didn't even have to install drivers as Win10 already had them in a cab file.

PS the printer works on Win8.1 in the HTPC.

O.K. A positive comment about Win10 although kind of lame. My old printer took a death gasp this weekend so I had to go fetch a new printer; Canon MG5620, wireless, etc. Win7 had no idea what to do with the WDS drivers. I tried every driver I could find, updates, hacked the registry, had deleted all old print drivers and printer. Nothing availed after several hours, forums, and KB articles. Win7 just had no use for a more modern printer. I reloaded Win10 beta on an SSD and set up a dual boot. All is well that ends well. I didn't even have to install drivers as Win10 already had them in a cab file.

PS the printer works on Win8.1 in the HTPC.
I've been reading this lately about win7. I still like it a lot, but then I haven't had any new device driver issues either.

We know they want to do this and they are looking for a way to do it.

But people are not going to go for it so they can't do it this year with Windows 10.

Since the topic is relevant, how exactly do they get people to subscribe to Office? Who does this, how much of a percentage of sales generally speaking go for subscribing, and why do people pass on permanently owning Office instead of subscribing to it?

Its funny you say this, I run Office 2010 ... I bought it back in 2012 when I got my current laptop, I refuse to have a subsription to use a software life Office.

I will say the possibility of an subscription based Windows is very alarming. Now, for example what if they do go subscription based and for some reason funds are a little low, does that meant your PC will be fully taken out of commission until such a point when you can actually pay for the service again? No thank you I'll think I'll pass

Cost is also going to be a factor. Just look at Adobe Lightroom. I can get the previous version which does everything I need for around $50 on sale (that's how low I've seen it for), yet they want the "unbelievable low price of $9.99 a month" for their subscription model.

You ask the average user if they would rather pay $120 a year to rent some software, or $50 one time and you own it, and what do you think they will answer?

I will say this though, if Microsoft is still going to be unclear on the matter, now would be an excellent time for Google to finally bring Android, or some other entity to get a mainstream Linux distro, to the desktop PC. Free vs subscription, you know who would win there.

Making Windows 10 More Personal With Windows Hello

Published on Mar 17, 2015

Microsoft announces Windows Hello, designed to make your computing experience more personal and more secure. Windows Hello introduces biometric authentication - using your face, fingerprint or iris to unlock your device.

That sounds great for a tablet or laptop I might own and lose/stolen in public. On my desktop maybe, but I'd have to get the biometric input devices as an add on peripheral.

I'm kind of concerned that some of my programs won't be compatible with Windows 10.

I know that two or three of my games aren't compatible with Windows 8/8.1. Which is one good reason for me not to install Windows 8/8.1 on my main system.

So, I assume I would run into a similar issue with Windows 10.

If using a desktop PC, why not partition your SSD into relatively small partitions and instead of abandoning your working OS, simply add another one and dual boot or even quadruple boot... You can reboot into another OS in less than two minutes with popper custom made shortcuts...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back